Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Turkish driver to drive for Jordan in Istanbul

f1racing.net

Jordan Grand Prix has announced that a Turkish driver will drive a few laps in next weeks Turkish Grand Prix. Jason Tahincioglu, who currently competes in the Formula Renault British Championship, will perform a demonstration run in a Jordan on race day, mirroring a feat accomplished by Hungarian driver Zsolt Baumgartner at the Hungaroring in 2002 with Jordan.

Colin Kolles, Managing Director of Jordan Grand Prix, commented: "We are extremely happy to give this fantastic opportunity to Jason, a young, bright and quick driver who has shown his talent in the Formula Renault British Championship. Being the first Turkish driver to ever drive a Formula One car, especially in front of his home crowd on a brand new circuit, will be an experience he will never forget."'

Jason Tahincioglu said: "First of all, I would like to thank Jordan Grand Prix and my Turkish sponsors for helping me organise a shakedown at Silverstone in order to familiarise myself with the car and the team before the demonstration run in Istanbul on Sunday before the GP. Considering the fact that it was the first time I have driven a Formula One car and the limited amount of running I have done, it was very useful to get used to the car's acceleration and braking. To be honest, my initial thoughts were that the car was quite impressive. I was amazed at how different it was from anything I had ever driven before. Obviously after a few runs, you get used to the speed and the braking. But what you have to do, as a professional, is the best job you possibly can. Perhaps I am the first Turkish driver to experience a Formula One car and all the excitement that comes with it, but I still approach this program as a professional, communicating with the engineers and mechanics. To be running in front of my home crowd will be an amazing scenario. After all, having a Turkish driver driving a Formula One car on his home track is what the Turkish people and fans dream of seeing. It will be a great buzz and I am hoping that I, along with Jordan Grand Prix, will put on a good show and that we will have a fantastic outcome."

How about Minardi stealing Jordan's thunder and run Cam on Friday. Not that I have any preference of who the first F1 driver from Turkey is, I just would rather have the first in a Minardi.

Comments

• I thought we were running Cam on the Friday anyway?
  • Thats the rumor we are trying to start.
  • How about a non-championship race?

Tahincioglu in a Jordan v's Artam in a Minardi. 5 laps around the Istanbul circuit on the Sunday morning. The winner would be the first 'formula 1' race winner in Turkey. :D
  • But that wouldn't be a race at all... We'd win by a lap.

It's a good idea, but it will never happen. It would get both teams more TV exposure too, and both Jordan and Minardi need that badly. That was the only plus of the USGP, if enough people watched the whole race (I did.)

[Edited on 11/8/2005 by Rekart]
  • Jason Tahincioglu said: "First of all, I would like to thank Jordan Grand Prix and my Turkish sponsors for helping me organise a shakedown at Silverstone in order to familiarise myself with the car and the team before the demonstration run in Istanbul on Sunday before the GP etc.etc.etc.
    What an incredible spontaneous reaction and doesn't he speak English perfectly?? ;)