Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Todt on the V10 vs V8.

Snipped this from pitpass' usual post-race Jean Todt briefing:

-----------------------------------------

Asked if there is any chance Ferrari might use the V10 engine next year, Todt says 'no, none at all'.

There has been much talk in the F1 paddock that the equivalency formula might favour the V10 in 2006.

'Maybe,' he shrugs, 'but we are all committed to the V8, at least all the manufacturors. We signed a letter'.

'They signed a letter on Friday,' adds (communications manager) Luca Colajanni. 'There is a gentleman's agreement between all the teams'.

'It's more than a gentlemen's agreement,' adds Todt, 'it's a signed letter by all the manufacturors'

--------------------------------------

Interesting times ahead. Maybe Minardi wont do any testing - and thus reveal their true speed - then turn up at Melbourne to blitz the field! :D ;)

[Edited on 22/8/2005 by MinardiP1]

Comments

• Yep, up to Melbourne qualifying, Minardi should run with further reduced revs, claim that the rev-limiter needs to be much higher, and then in Melbourne qualifying turn the revs back up and qualify 1-2.

Of course, the telemtry read-outs would put an end to this plan, but it seemed like a nice idea for 3 seconds.
  • ^ Just dial in a shitload of wing to kill trapspeeds. Then don't bother too much on setup to not get much of a corning advantage due to the downforce.
  • By sticking with a V10, Stoddart may have (un)wittingly made a very shrewd move. There'll be no vibration from a V10 in comparison to the problems with a V8 being felt, so this could get interesting.

The only thing I can relate this to was the beginning of four-storke motorcycles in MotoGP. The two-stroke bikes provided more turn in corners, but the four-strokes blasted them on the straights. They ran together in 2002, and the two-strokes got the front row (i.e. 4 bikes) in qualifying for Philip Island. They lost out in the race, though.

I just love it when Minardi get involved in controversy. Every so often, every other team will talk about us animatedly for a while over matters like this. I'm sure Stoddart just likes stirring up trouble.

What's the betting that the FIA will look silly for one reason or another come Melbourne 2006?
  • This shows that the manufacturers will make sure that the V10 will not be competetive next year. Stoddardts dream of having competetive engines next year won't come true. The others won't allow it.
  • I love this soap opera stuff
  • The vibration bit about the V8's is sort of a myth. TOIT reported the vibrations when they ran a version of their V10 with 2 dead holes. On the contrary, a V8 crankshaft will naturally produce less vibrations than a V10. This is probably negated though by the extra revs.
  • Qualify that please. A straight 4 or six produces no inherint vibes.....Power overlap on a 10 is better than an 8 but vibration....lots of factors. jackshadts - the way the crank is ground................
  • Pffffffffffff my brains are vibrating like hell..........
  • More restrictions on the V10:
    An air restrictor, as well as a rev limit, aims to ensure that no other team will be tempted to join Minardi in opting to stick with the V10 formula next year. Anyway, all manufacturer teams signed a letter in Istanbul committing themselves to the new 2.4 litre V8 format, amid fears that - even with the restrictions - the V10 may be quicker.