Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Tribute to Paul Stoddart

Comments

• I think we should send him something.
    Great idea Viges!

RJ - any chance of that special ForzaMinardi.com letter with our signatures
  • basically yes BUT, how would we do that?
  • I don't know, maybe you can do something via Graham Jones?
  • Thanks, Paul - good luck, mate :o
  • no i mean if you want to sign it it will take quite a while or do you mean with just names?
  • Grazie Paul
    without you, we all wouldn't be here.
    I never loved ypu that much, but thanks anyway.
    Good luck
  • Hehe just names of course, like we did with Samsung or was it Fondmetal?
  • Thank you paul for giving a fuck.
  • [quote]I think we should send him something.
    Great idea Viges!

RJ - any chance of that special ForzaMinardi.com letter with our signatures [/quote]

Pardon me while I puke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Emmett HELP!
  • Truly a sad year to lose the last of the privateer teams. Sauber and Minardi.

Thanks to Paul and the team at Faenza.

As with viges, I was in Melbourne to see Webber grab those points. What a day!

Lets look forward.
  • Today, I shook Paul's hand and said "thank you" He deserved that for keeping the the Minardi name in place for these 5 years. I feel it was the proper thing to do.

Paul's chapter in the story of Minardi is coming to a close. In hindsight everyone will be able to look back with a 20/20 viewpoint and history will be the the better judge once the dust settles.

I think that history will reflect that Paul kept the team alive and, most important, the true spirit of F1 racing alive with an independant strong willed racing fervor team spirit in the garages.

The heart and soul of the team is the team members. The team members are there as a direct result of Paul's efforts. My hat is off to him for that trust he placed in the excellent choices he made for his crew. A good leader is one who puts good management in place and let's them do their job. Paul did that.

The spirit of Minardi is unlike any other in F1. It's a fighting spirit. It's an innovative spirit. And, according to the press release, Paul put a great deal of thought into that agreement.

That spirit was permitted to flourish under Paul's leadership. Kudo's.
  • " I have consistently said that if someone can take Maclaren forward and look after the employees then I will sell to them"

" I have consistently said that if someone can take Williams forward and look after the employees then I will sell to them"

" I have consistently said that if someone can take Renault forward and look after the employees then I will sell to them"

" I have consistently said that if someone can take Ferrai forward and look after the employees then I will step down"

You are being a dickhead about this Quigley. You and your accolytes.

I don't know whether I would be putting my hand up to laud Stoddart's management capabilities on a racing front at all. He has a achieved much though, much more than your ungracious spittle evokes.
  • Lease, "You are being a dickhead about this Quigley. You and your accolytes"

I have not been an accolyte since i turned down Father O'neil in the confessional. I was however and accolyte for 10 years in an Irish Catholic church. ;)

I happen to know Emmett rather well. He is entitled to his opinion as are we all. let's try to keep the foucs of the thread on point. This is not the place for this discussion.

...but while we are at it... I agree with you about Clown's thread. not the forum for that here. But by commenting that would have just thrust it to the top. which you did.:spank:

[Edited on 11/9/2005 by bernie]
  • Dear Sir,

1. Clearly my criticism has missed its mark. The Accolytes? I shall name them - GER, Jello. Clear enough?

2. Never met Quigley, but in general find him tolerable. The time for being gracious is with us however, and he (yes, accolytes, etc) is being a bit precious. I too have rights, one of which is to call hime to account if I think he's being out of order.

3. As far as Clown's thread is concerned, the point is well made. The problem is that he is like some ill-disciplined child. The thread was over the top, and deserved the aprobation (not silence, and certainly not censorship RJ!) of his fellow members. It is this that allows unspoken rules to govern in place of anarchy, or worse, over-regulation (not that you'd know anything about that in the States). Example: I really don't like the boy's use of obnoxious language. It is neither contextual, nor humorous. It is just foul. The problem is that since no-one cares to say anything, then it goes on.

Like your tribute by the way.
  • I will admit when I am wrong. I do owe thanks to PS for keeping the Team from being killed off sooner.

[Edited on 12/9/2005 by MCSF]

[Edited on 12/9/2005 by MCSF]
  • Thank you PS for keeping Minardi from going the way of Arrows and Prost.

Now we can only look back in think of what could have been had the five-year plan had not been disrupted. Only time will tell if selling to RB was the right choice.
  • You all seem rather convinced you have some sort of proof of something untowards...........so spill it. Put up. Or shut up.

I'll take a stab- Some mysterious Italian group was desperately trying to phone Paul in Belgium to let him know they had a 3rd party out of state check for MORE than what Red Bull paid! And the bastard sold to RB anyway.
  • My two cents,

I find it quite upsetting to see the knives out for Paul Stoddart. I think that the point that this team has been owned by Paul for the last 5 years seems to have been forgotten. The man has had the right to change the name of the team and everyone in it in 2001. He didn't, and all credit to him. No one (especially those who dislike the man) should lost sight of the fact that he kept the spirit and heritage of this team not for profit, but out of respect for the history of the team and the sport in general. That decision was admirable, not profitable.

The fact that he kept the name, he kept the man (GCM) and the factory in Italy is something that should be praised not criticised. This misguided illusion that somehow this was still GCM’s team is ludicrous.

Paul has sold his team. The reason for this sale is not our business to criticise. He has had every right to do so for any reason at any time. He has no obligation to justify his position to anyone. All this implied underhanded dealings and other unflattering innuendo about Paul is irrational, unfair and unjustified. Again, it’s his team to sell to whomever he sees fit.

From 2001 until now this has been Paul Stoddart's F1 team, no one else's. Supporting 'this' team is supporting 'his' team, end of story. If you have never agreed with this fact or have never accepted the fact that GCM doesn't run or own this team, you should have done a runner back in 2001.

I will continue to support this team and this forum with or without the ‘Minardi’ name.

[Edited on 12/9/2005 by TasM]
  • Thank you Paul !

You fought against the odds and managed to keep the team alive. Many of our competitors failed. You are an important chapter in the history of our beloved team.
  • Lease - Accolyte possibly but my opinion stands. He (PS) wasn't all bad and did keep the show on the road after all like Tasm said it is his team to do whatever he wants. But from what I have heard about him this past year I'm not jumping on the Poor Paul Band wagon. It's not that I am angry about him selling christ he has been talking for so long about this it can hardly come as a supprise. It's purley the fact I dont like him and never did- simple as that!

• Well said Tas and Walker.

Quig, I like you, old fruit, but you and your fanclub do come across as faintly ridiculous on this one. Stoddie made mistakes but it seems you would only have been content if he'd bought the team and immediately handed it over to GCM. What were the chances of that happening?!
  • Do they spell Acolyte differently outside of the US?

Quigs and Ger, when's the next meeting of the Paul Stoddart Sucks club? Sorry for missing the last one.
  • I have to say that I think the most admirable thing Paul did was keep the Minardi name.

It can't have been easy selling sponsorship when - and don't jump on me for this - the team name conjures up the images of a perennial 'loser', and would have been seen as a bad move for any true multinational associating themselves with F1.

Paul might have had an easier time in the corporate world if he had done the wrong/right thing (take your pick) and changed the name to Team F1 Australia or something that might have ganed corporate support much more easily.

So I can't condemn the guy for the stand-up job he did for the Faenza workforce and for GCM. And neither should the naysayers who only remember the fights with the FIA.
  • Thank you Paul for getting Max irate.
    Thank you Paul for getting Berni irate.
    Thank you Paul for having an opinion and not just being a 'Yes' man.
    Thank you Paul for spending 5 years getting grey hairs at all our expense.
    Thank you Paul on behalf of all the postings above that love you or hate you
    for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health

I wish F1 the beset, but with the A1 races starting, i think it was a wise
    time to let others fight out what is a diminishing 'pinacle of motor sport'
  • Again, perhaps everyone should jsut focus on teh topic of the thread instead of bashign each other..I think alot of people have a very strong emotioanl attachment to the team and the emotions are running wild. I thiink everyone cares what happens going forward. perhaps it is best to just thank Paul for the many good things he has done. There ARE good things...

...and maybe let's stop making personal attacks...especially on this thread. I have nto once made an attack on anyone's ehtnicity or nationality. I have questioned why I might have had certain experiences recently but I have not made any broad based accusations about nationality. perhaps everyone could do that.

As a US citizen I believe that everyone has a right to the own ideas. Open discussion is good. bashing people is bad... especially on this topic on this thread.
  • Thanks mr. Stoddard for smoking your young guns, giving talent a chance.

Thanks for not being too rational all the time

Thanks for fighting 5 years
  • Only last week I organised a Minardi race suit through Graham and Paul. I didn't realise how quickly it has gone from memorabilia to a collectable in a space of a few days.

What other team would go to the efforts they did to make a fan they didn't know happy.

I am grateful that the team has such a great group of people working under Paul. And Paul will be happy that the same group of people will be working with guarentees that they have a future.

Three cheers to Paul. Three cheers to the people that are still there working their butt off next year.

I'll still be here supporting them.

Good Luck with OZ Jet. Good luck with life. And well done in keeping the bastards honest while you were there.

• The thread was over the top, and deserved the aprobation (not silence, and certainly not censorship RJ!) of his fellow members.
    Point taken as usual but this was too weird to be left on the boards, I'm the one who would get blame for this (as posting something like that is against the law) and not some more or less anonymous member. Anarchy is all good and well but as soon as we start to get life threatening someone (and that would be me) has to draw a line. Ever so sorry, love you lots
  • you and your fanclub
    Let me make this VERY clear. I speak for myself. The MCSF has nearly 50 members and they are all individuals. There are no marching orders - I would say that my thinking is in the minority. Take for example Bernie's post on this topic.

Please do not paint the entire group with your accusations as it is unfair and baseless.

SEMPRE MINARDI