Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

New Orleans Levees: No authority to raise!

New Orleans is being re-populated, it would appear without any proper plan, and with the levees being repaired/rebuilt to the same height.

The Army Corps of Engineers has no authority (approved funds) to underatke the design or repair work to increase the height above the existing (inadequate) levels.

Meanwhile thousands of civil service workers are being laid off due to the disruption in civil life, infrastructure, etc.,
No doubt among those being laid off there would be some with experience, talent and qualifications for assisting in planning and supervision of the real work that is desperately required.

This is the problem when you leave the imcompetent in charge, and ignore the advice of the competent.

Spin

Comments

• Doc - we here in the States have a thing called States Rights. Louisiana has NOT dealt with the levee problem for 100+ years and now there is a crisis. Louisiana needs to make the hard choices about their future - it is their call.

Imagine if the Feds made all the calls....then the States would be screaming.

• Quite aware of the States rights position, MCSF.
    If you read my post, you'll see I didn't mention Feds or States just leadership and competence.

I have worked on levee design in NSW, in Australia, which also is a Federation and respects States rights. Malaysia is something similar, the UK has similar issues. The States is not as unique as you may be suggesting.

At each level, there is a need for Government to engage qualified people to run important departments and to listen to those people when they recommend action or change.

Louisiana's record of inaction and conflicting priorities is a critical issue. Bush's past interference in reducing budget requests also doesn't help. One way that more enlightenened governments act on these issues is to conduct studies, meetings and seminars to identify problems and recommend solutions. Where there is no authority these meetings provide information and can bring pressure on those who are responsible to act.

Why do I care? Because more and more your Government and big business is trying to impose US systems on a world which doesn't need foreign systems.

Sometimes we have to respond by pointing out the deficiencies which Americans don't seem to recognise or at least act on to improve.

Today, with a earthquake disaster in Pakistan, we see the news that the US is waiting to find out what is required. in way of help. Meanwhile the UK is on its way with response teams, tents and blankets and gear it knows will be required.

Spin

[Edited on 9/10/2005 by Dr_Spin]