Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

They prefer Minardi

Davide Rigon, who finished his 2005 campaign in the World Series Formula Renault 3.5 with Italian outfit Victory Engineering, is set to experience one of the sweetest moments of his racing career to date. The Minardi F1 team and the ACI/CSAI “driver search” programme have selected him to take part in a F1 test as one of the most promising young drivers on the Italian motorsport scene.

Last week, Rigon had just finished his daily fitness programme – a programme that has been increased from two to four hours since the Minardi F1 Team announced that he will be one of the drivers participating in the F1 test in Vallelunga. After achieving some good results in karting, Rigon adapted well to single-seater racing and this year the 19 year-old driver moved up into the World Series by Renault after several successful outings in the Italian F3 championship. Davide is extremely happy to be taking part in this test, which is part of the agreement signed with the Faenza-based team and the ACI/CSAI.

“I’ve just come back from my seat-fitting in Faenza," explained Rigon. “I was really impressed by the facilities and the warm welcome that they gave me. It is always impressive to talk with someone like Gian Carlo Minardi. For me, he is a legend.”

Davide Rigon has a lot of homework to do. After a long talk with his test engineer, Graziano Michelacci, he had to memorize all the steering wheel buttons. “I can’t believe the amount of buttons and electronic controls on the car. It is the most sophisticated car that I have ever sat in.”

Obviously, his experience in the World Series Formula Renault 3.5 has been a big help for Davide in adapting to the Formula One race car: “It has been extremely helpful to compete in the World Series. Actually, the Minardi F1 is shorter than the World Series car. Also, the fact of having the two pedals in the Formula Renault 3.5 is an important step in getting used to the required driving style.”

The Minardi F1 Team has confirmed that he will take to the track on Tuesday. In any case, Davide Rigon hopes to take part in the 2006 World Series by Renault pre-season test, due to be held in Valencia (November 22-23). “I do not have any definite plans for 2006 as yet, but we are in talks with Victory Engineering and although we have still to confirm a couple of things, I hope to be there for the test.”
Saw this on f1-live. Seems Minardi is prefered to the other name.

Comments

• I'm sure they do but as soon as this test is finished I am pretty confident that RB will squash the use of it.
  • As MCSF says, I am sure about that also.

I think they are only using the name because this test was planned under the old management and old sponsors so they have to stick to this commitment and it is being run by the old infrastructure. RB may not want to associate themselves directly with these driver/sponsors so they keep using the Minardi name until these commitments are done with.