Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

ATLAS

From Atlas/Autosport...... Weekly Grapevine

author is Deiter Rencken

Article talks about STR moving from Faenza to Austria in a couple of years. I have high lighted a few things..... I will be very sad to see Faenza go......

"Thus, reconstruction work is expected to resume next summer - ending at a rather crucial period in F1's evolution: end-2007 - and three circuits are planned: a modern interpretation of the original 5.9 kilometre Oesterreichring - aka Zeltweg, Grand Prix host from 1970-87, an upgraded version of the 4.3 kilometre A1-Ring and a short circuit. In addition, a state-of-the-art high-speed test circuit - designed to VW and Magna Steyr specifications - is planned, as are various advanced driver facilities.

In the six months since planning permission was granted, there has been much activity surrounding the company's Formula One programme(s) in particular, and Formula One in general: first, Mateschitz completed the purchase of Minardi, now known as Scuderia Toro Rosso and headed up by Austrian Franz Tost, who once ran a race driver school and Formula Three team based at the circuit. Second, McLaren's genius designer Adrian Newey handed in his notice, and will join RBR as soon as legally possible. Third, Williams joined three other teams - including RBR - as signatory of the 2008-2012 Concorde Agreement, with STR expected to agree to Ecclestone's terms shortly. And, four, the FIA's post-2008 regulations, which severely restrict aerodynamics, were last week ratified at a sitting of the World Motor Sport Council.

The second from last point indicates that Formula One will continue as the sport's premier series, vindicating RBR's decision to join forces with SLEC and the FIA, the sport's commercial rights holder and governing body respectively, whilst the second obviously elevates the importance of track testing over intensive aerodynamic research. In short, the regulations favour on-going Ferrari-style tests at its Fiorano, Imola and Mugello circuits - the ownership and use of which enjoys Max Mosley's tacit support - over constant investment in ever-larger wind tunnels.

All of which, in a neat if round-about manner suggests that rumours having Red Bull relocating their Formula One activities to Zeltweg - or Spielberg, depending upon which local council enjoys bigger clout at whatever time - could be on the money. After all, if BBR/Skoda and KTM are to fly Red Bull WRC and MotoGP flags from there, why not both Red Bull's flagship operations, too?

Enormous advantages, not least full-time access to a test track during the season - although off-season testing would be a different matter, of which more anon - would flow from such a move. Not only does the circuit fall virtually at the junction of a right-angle cross connecting Formula One's continental extremities - Northampton and Istanbul; Barcelona and Budapest - but Milan Malpensa Airport - fly-away point for Ferrari - is less than a day's truck drive away.

Vienna's international airport is 200 uncongested kilometres distant, with Graz - catering for European passenger and cargo traffic - lying just 30 minutes away. Then, of course, Zeltweg military airport - scene of the 1963/4 Austrian Grands Prix - accommodates private aviation and handles Eurofighters and is located across the road from the circuit.

Presently the Austrian government offers substantial tax relief for hi-tech industries establishing bases in the country, and living conditions are farm fresh, squeaky clean and ultra healthy - certainly more so than offered by most 'traditional' Formula One centres. Of course, not every engineer considers Styria an ideal location, but Peter Sauber's operation, established in a Swiss village, managed to attract the talent needed to survive for a decade and more, with new owner BMW continuing in Hinwil.

Maranello - no bigger than Zeltweg - too, has managed to pull in big hitters. All Ferrari required to get the likes of Ross Brawn, Rory Byrne and others to a remote Italian village not even included on some in-car navigation systems was money, and multi-billionaire Mateschitz, whose dedication to Austrian causes is legendary, has bucks in abundance.

Downsides? Well, for starters, the Austrian winter bites hard in those parts, particularly at the circuit's 800m altitude - as photographs of the 2003 Grand Prix illustrate via a residual snowline surrounding the then-A1-Ring at 3000m. But then, Ferrari heads for Jerez and Valencia for winter testing after discovering in years past that head-to-head running provides the best indicators of progress by the competition. After all, what use breaking lap records at Fiorano by the second if the opposition is lowering laptimes on Iberian circuits at the rate of double that; after all, what use radical developments if the opposition employs trickier bits?

So, Red Bullring or no Red Bullring, Mateschitz's teams would be best advised to test away from home during the off-season. Then, Monza plus Ferrari's trio of circuits all, of which offer potentially good winter month running, are a day away. Plus Ferrari, expected to remain as engine supplier under the 2008 regulations, would hardly turn away their major customer and political ally.

That an upwardly mobile STR needs to move from the hotch-potch facility that was Minardi's racing base in Faenza is clear, and, although Mateschitz is thought to have given staff assurances that any relocation would be two year's hence - that date of end-2007, again - a move out of Italy and to Zeltweg surely makes the most sense. Thereafter it can only be a matter of time before RBR, too, moves from southern England to Mateschitz's homeland and his company base.

The next logical step is an F1 involvement by VW - probably under the 'halo' of Lamborghini, or, less likely, Bugatti - first as engine supplier, then overall team owner sponsored by... Red Bull. VW's main board has regularly refused to sanction a Formula One programme on the basis of a low cost: returns; if, though, an external sponsor covers the (relatively) low-cost programme intended by the 2008 regulations whilst delivering a proven, turn-key programme, then it could be a matter of when, and not if, Volkswagen enters the formula."

Comments

• so then, i take it Mr Murph remains a fan for two years?
  • 'till Faenza do us part.........
  • I have a question. How many of the staff from faenza would relocate? My impression is that there are some very strong ties holding them in Italy. Yes the team may move, but I suspect without a significant number of the Italian staff.
  • My guess would be less than zero.
  • I agree with Emmett.............. I can't see many IF any of the Faenza guys and gals relocating to Austria.

Too bad Paul didn't sell to Irvine and his Russian...... but it was his team and he needed the $$$ for his airline I guess. But Paul did say that he had secured the jobs of all the team members for the next couple of years........................... though it doesn't quite look like that has proven to be true.....................
  • AS with most new owners I think that RB made commitments and then adhered to them to the letter but no farther. I suspect that peopel may have had the opportunity to keep their job and title but perhaps with little to no power and perhaps doing "grunt" work tha may have bee n beneath them if RB already had a staff to do the same job...I think that would be fairly "normal" in most all takeovers. Once the folks are painted into a corner their only real option is toe seek other employment....which is suspect has happened.

I think what Paul did do was permit the loyal guys at the factory two years to find other gainful employment while RB cannabolizes the good parts of the facility to make the transition. At least the writing is on the wall and it's not just a lockout and the plant is closed. Again, this is just my opinion, but I think there may have been some goodwill on Paul's part in this effort.

[Edited on 30/12/2005 by bernie]
  • Did you really buy that? I did not think so. But if itr gives the Faenza crowd just a few years then it is better than being shown the dor at the end of last season.
  • I think that is waht I was trying to say
  • Bernie - I twas replying to Murphs post and had to walk away for a while and did not bother to refresh my browser - I did not see your post until now.

However, I am not sure about the goodwill - look at the English speaking types and their termination.