Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Minardi Back in F1 2008

I have just seen an article on the autosport website that Paul Stoddart has submited a Minardi entry for the 2008 season.I hope this is so because F1 just aint the same without Minardi and the outspoken Stoddart.:)

Comments

• our new member with the contested name is right... interesting
  • Originally posted by forzaminardi
    our new member with the contested name is right... interesting
    Very very interesting. I don't know what to think about it. How realistic is a return by PS and the name Minardi with him? And if (IF!) it happens, I will be pretty biased about the combination PS + Minardi. Anyway, it's exciting news.

Welcome TTTSNBN-runner !! What an entrance....
  • Welcome RBR

Stoddard using the minardi name ???:o

Im not sure if I understand? I would have thought it would have been stoddard racing or European racing etc

IMHO It must either mean ;-
    a/ He's got GCM involved - :cool:
    b/ He really loves the minardi name / team - :cool: but he should become a member here !!!
  • I love a team that never dies!

It's perhaps ironic that since Stoddart left F1 the teams have been much more co-operative and have started making agreements and such.

Whether Stoddart started all this or created all the animosity- that's for other people to decide.

I'm just glad to hear he's interested in coming back.

Wonder if Eddie Jordan wants in?
  • Take a look at reuters:-

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=motorSportsNews&storyID=URI:urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060328:MTFH75888_2006-03-28_10-30-41_SP32168:1

In short

Team name : European Minardi F1 team Limited
    Team to be based in : ledbury
    Car : PS04B

:(

[Edited on 28-3-0606 by JumpeySpyder]
  • I find this very interesting. Stoddie wanting to return is good but does he have the right to the Minardi name? I thought all Name rights were returned to Signor Minardi on the sale to redbullshit. Personally if Stoddie does return to F1 and bases himself in Faenza again that would be great for European Minardi but otherwise leave the Minardi name out.

- I doubt very much from past conversations with Faenza personal that Mr Minardi would get involved with Stoddart again.

[Edited on 28-3-0606 by Ger]
  • I'm almost 100% sure that Stoddart still owns the naming rights for Minardi in racing. He released the use of the name at GCM's request for use in the euro3000, but retains all the rights for racing including F1.

I'm not entirely sure why he would use it if he plans to start the team in the UK and without involvement from GCM or the Faenza team.
  • yup, interesting story let's see how it turns out
  • Outstanding news! GCM must be involved in some capacity.
  • So whats the plan? start from scratch, or poach our pit crew back from STR?
  • The Minardi name without GCM is not worth the paper it is written on IMHO. In addition the Minardi name being operated out of Ledbury is not an option for me - just does not fit.

No, I'll continue to support GCM in his new venture and work hard for the return to F1 WITH him.
  • Great news.....Minardi is a brand and its wise for PS to use it if he wants to start something from scratch...as of any GCM involvement, well, will just have to see...both are more than capable enterpreneurs, they will figure out something....the most important part is that both men are under the f1virus, both men want to get back in....
  • Do you really think Mad Max will let him back in ????

He'd rather have Direxiv/Alesi or Prodrive/Richards as the 12th team !!!!!
  • Originally posted by Minardus
    Do you really think Mad Max will let him back in ????
    If I were PS I'd be more worried about Bernie - but in either case I do not believe it will happen.
  • okay who will make it into F1 sooner, Stoddie or GCM, the bets are off :-)
  • As I see it, 11 teams are in, so Stoddart taking the 12th and final spot is a smart business move if he gains entry, someone that really wants that spot is going to have to pay a lot for it, otherwise Stoddart will probably lag at the back of the field compared to the rest of the field. Perhaps he could come up with a good budget given this much time in advance but I doubt it.
  • Great news, too bad it's in 2008!

*starts counting down...
  • Originally posted by Minardus

Right on Minardus That will make him 3rd in line!! Ya I figure its a publicity stunt.

[Edited on 28-3-0606 by Ger]
  • okay, prodrive maybe but that alesi project is not going to happen, remember irvine wanting to get in? and who is to say that the current teams will all still be around in 2008? if the toyota team continues to be such good value for money they might as well axe it and continue just with williams.
  • very good news
  • Mmm Stoddart... Sometimes you hate him. Sometimes you love him. This is one of the better moments . :D

You know, it'd be extremely funny if he'd happen to buy Midland by then and rename it to Minardi.

[Edited on 28-3-0606 by Stan]
  • Who thinks Team cucumber will last more than a year?

I think there will be more than one empty space in 2007 and 2008.

makes you think, why Stoddart sold in the first place. If it was to start up Ozjet, it was a bad move. Live and learn.

Good to see that he has a heart (which he always did) and that its in the right place. Bringing back the Minardi name is a good thing.
  • This is all good and well, but the FIA could reject his application....

For it to be approved, he must have a headquaters and engineering facility, and the appropriate business plan in place which the FIA will review and base their decision apon.

The $45mill from the STR sale could prove an inspired move. Sell off the team, build a bigger and better manufacturing facility, acquire new staff and return when the category is cheaper.
  • I think at this stage, you couldn't consider the application as anything other than an ambit claim.

Mad Max requires 08 entries to be in now, so anyone with any interest has to submit their application. That doesn't mean a thing. As noted elsewhere, one should consider that at the very least, Midland, STR, Cucumber, and Toyota may not be there by then, so tyhe chance of buying infrastructure is very real, even if an entry is not accepted for 08.

On a philosophical note however, many would need to wrestle with the morality of following an all-Stoddart Minardi. On the one hand, the name Minardi could be considered in some respects to have outlived the founder in terms of its importance as a brand. Take Brabham for example. If someone decided to re-enter under tha name (after Bernie sells it for shit loads), then there wouold be few who could grumble that it aint Black Jack, therefore it aint Brabham.

A more advanced example is of course McLaren. There is almost no connection anymore in most fans' minds to the Kiwi who started it all.

So the question becomes whether Minardi without GCM and its Italian heritage is an intolerable outrage, or whether pushing the brand forward in a new age, in a disconnected environement is an acceptable compromise towards imortality.

It will makes for an interesting debate. We just hope that Stoddart has as his motive, the spirit of the name and its historical place in Formula One.

We also hope that he finally realises the importance of this place in the name's grounding amongst fans and uses it as a means of communication over the intervening period.
  • Originally posted by Ger
    [quote]Originally posted by Minardus

Right on Minardus That will make him 3rd in line!! Ya I figure its a publicity stunt.

[Edited on 28-3-0606 by Ger] [/quote]

Direxiv / Alesi (McLaren-B) could very well enter in 2007 already

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=27174

There seems to be a lot of money (read: Yen) in Direxiv according to my sources in Japan to start the F1 project.

So there might be no free spot in 2008...or does the FIA reconsider the limit 12 places for 2008 ?
  • Yes, I saw the interview last night. Paul plans to join the grid in 2008 when the new concorde agreement comes into effect. In the interview Paul stated that budgets would be capped at $100mil, and if that is the case it would be an attractive proposition, considering what Minardi achieved with half that budget.

Sadly for Paul I can't see it happening. As for the Minardi name, he still uses it for his two seaters, so I can only conclude that he still has the rights to "Minardi" in F1.

Regardless of one's opinion of Stoddart, he has a knack of stirring debate around Minardi.
  • Yay, but please not the PS04B.

Can STR give us the PS05 back? They must be taking up room somewhere.
  • Originally posted by Brooksey
    This is all good and well, but the FIA could reject his application....

For it to be approved, he must have a headquaters and engineering facility, and the appropriate business plan in place which the FIA will review and base their decision apon.
    If this is the case then he'd have a leg up on both Richards and Alesi..
  • Stoddie's critics should loosen up a bit.
    F1 IS A CIRCUS and a circus needs characters.

Bernie is the Ringmaster, Paul was the Ringleader, among a cast of villains.

There is a lot of commonality between Paul's determination, enthusiasm and irascibility and Minardi's survival and willingness to line up, again and again, in an unfair competition.

A sport needs those who compete even with little hope of winning but for the pride of being there, making up the field and enjoying respect for finishing, something those who say that coming second is the first loser to cross the line will never understand.

Those whose only criterion of success is being first to cross the line, should be allowed to race on their own, and gloat in their own delusions. Same for the drugs cheats, and those who plot to bring down their competition with dirty tricks.

Minardi is different. We fans understand that sport is firstly competing, secondly striving to do ones best and sometimes the near impossible, and respecting others in the field, even if we don't like them or their tactics.

I still have my European Minardi hat, and I look forward to seeing Stoddie again.

Spin
  • Damn fine sentiments there Doc.

It does seem a little delicious, does it not?

Stoddart is setting himself for another showdown with Mosely, or so it seems.

He does indeed have a base, a team structure, and cars, so would be in a good position from a requirements point of view. Aynone else would have to be demonstrated to be in a better position in order to get the nod.

Mad Max is a wiley character however, and it will be very interesting to see what transpires.

At least it is something interesting to get into.