Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

when numbers lie

Schumacher 66 poles.
Senna 65.

Unfair.

Comments

• It's never about the numbers, this sport, it's about the image you have when you here the name. Schumacher? To me, he is driving into Hill at Adelaide '94. Senna? Lap one Donington Park, '93. What is the Portuguese for "Der Regenmeister"?
  • Silverghost is right you can't compare numbers !!!

Fangio - 28 Pole Positions
  • Ah, stop idolising Senna for once.

I dare to say that Schumacher is at least as good if not better.
  • There's no comparison. Senna achived those poles when qualifying was QUALIFYING!
  • agree with stan. everybody's just pissed off because he's German. Like him or don't like him (and I have come to respect him) he's the best driver F1's ever had, by quite a margin
  • Originally posted by Petroltorque
    There's no comparison. Senna achived those poles when qualifying was QUALIFYING!
    Schumacher was the main reason for them to change the qualifying.
  • Its got nothing to do with anti- German sentiment. Life's too short for such petty mindedness. Anyone who thinks there is an equal comparison is too young to remember Senna. Look at how many GPs Senna took for his poles and then compare that with the Swervemaker!
  • Schumachjer the "Best driver F1 ever had"? Fastest, perhaps, but there's more to the thing than that. He makes too many scrappy mistakes, is at best a mediocre wheel to wheel racer, and scores 0/10 for sportsmanship (call me old fashioned, but...). The nationality has nothing to do with it.
  • medicore wheel to wheel racer? Then Alonso is worse then. No offense to Alonso of course. Ok Schumi made a mistake by using up all his new tyres but Today was Renaults race to lose and they did.

From what racing against each other they did 92, 93 and 94 i believe. 92 senna was better, 93 schumi was better and Schumi started 94 better, if senna hadn't died maybe he would have beaten schumi.

I bet all those who criticise schumi would have criticised senna if he had lived.

People said schumi winning was boring, that was a hell of a lot more entertaining than renault winning all the time.
  • Originally posted by Petroltorque
    Its got nothing to do with anti- German sentiment. Life's too short for such petty mindedness. Anyone who thinks there is an equal comparison is too young to remember Senna. Look at how many GPs Senna took for his poles and then compare that with the Swervemaker!
    And Senna had real competition.
  • Schuey and TOIT deserved the win, but they had the advantage of knowing the circuit better than anyone, and controlling a parade with little chance of overtaking except with a unexpected (by Renault?) flying lap and timed pitstop knowing the Renault time they had to beat.

If Schuey hadn't won, then his Pole wouldn't have meant too much, since that depends on fuel load and tyres under the current circus rules.

Apparently team rules still apply at TOIT, and TOIT rules override all other rules.

Records broken in those conditions may make record holders, but not heroes.

Spin
  • I actually think that Jim Clark was much quicker than Nelson Piquet.. ;)
  • I don't think that, at such a level, you can say who is best.

ALl of them, from Schumi to Senna to Prost to Mansell to CLark to Fangio, belong to an elite where (also considering the different times) they are basicly all superchampions at the same level.

Numbers are just a matter of chance: Schumi won almost as many GPs as Senna and Prost together, but how many GPs would Prost have won had Senna and Mansell not been there, and viceversa?

And remember, Schumi in at least 4 seasons (1995, 2001, 2002 and 2004) could race with no competition.

Clark and Fangio obtained those numbers in seasons when there were 7/10 GPs, how many wins and poles would they have got if they raced 16/18 races per year? And remember Clark died young, and got 25 wins and 33 poles out of 72 GPs (!), Senna got 65 poles out of 161 GPs, Schumi made 66 poles out of 235 GPs.

If Clark and Senna could race 235 GPs, they would have made over 100 poles.
  • Originally posted by salvo
    Schumacher 66 poles.
    Senna 65.

Unfair.
    Berlusconi claims the same about last elections ;)
  • Originally posted by manlio27If Clark and Senna could race 235 GPs, they would have made over 100 poles.
    and on the other hand they could have simply lost their touches and floundered for a number of years. We'll never know.
  • Schumi is a great driver. give the man his due. Is he racing under the same conditions as, say, Fangio, well, ah, NO. But it's awful damn hard to compare different people from different points in history. Where the cicumtances different perhaps different people would have become legend. Schumi has been the leader for his TIME. Give him his due. Do we have to like his personality? his sportmanship? perhaps not. But he has proven beyond a doubt that he is the most talented driver of this generation. Will Alonso take his place? who knows? Will there be a "gentleman" driver who has the the poise and eloquance that we all want to look up to and admire and STILL be a great driver? perhaps not. perhaps. perhaps a humble and grateful and intelligent good driver who speaks many languages, is good with the press, is fan friendly and not full of himself will grace F1 one day. should we hold our breath? I don't know. Is Nico a good candidate? Time will tell. One day your grandkids are going to say "Wow! You saw Schumi win?!!?? How Cool!" Only then will you have forgotten the bad stuff and remember "Yea, I saw that!"
  • I don't quite agree with you there bernie. I've been a Ferrari supporter for many years. When Schumacher joined it took a while to warm to him as a Ferrari pilot. On October 26, 1997, Jerez Spain, lap 48, that all changed. So did my support for the Red team.

Don't get me wrong, Schumacher will go down as one of the greats, BUT, there will always be a but with him. People will bring up Jerez, and Adelaide with Hill. That controversy will dog him past his use by date I'm afraid (and I'm not talking about his driver use by date).
  • People seem to have forgotten Senna's attempted murder already.
  • This argument won't ever be resolved. Schui, Senna and others all took atvantage of the rules of the day. They all are brilliant pilots. Schui has earned the right to be in the same group as Senna, Fangio, Prost and Mansell. Schui has that special talent just like those other drivers before him.
  • Agreed. It's worse than politics.
  • OK, here we go again. For the record:

a) he is one of the greatest drivers ever. The reductiveness of TV was brought home to me as I sat feet from turn one at the Austrian GP (uphill 90 degree right) - Schumi was phenomenal and much quicker every lap. Absolutely on the edge of adhesion. Poetry.

b) he is not the greatest (impossible to compare eras, far more races now, far safer, no equal teammates).

c) he does stupid things under pressure and FUNDAMENTALLY is not a clean racer. He never has been and I refer all the way back to F3.

d) it really has nothing to do with his nationality - that is just a bit of fun. (eg I think Becker, Lehmann, Beckenbauer are legends)

e) did I mention the war?
  • No you did not:)
  • Viges can only respect footballers, silly goose.
  • Originally posted by Jello_Biafra
    People seem to have forgotten Senna's attempted murder already.
    More like attempted murder-suicide.
    There's a big difference in involving yourself in a 200kmh+ crash in a steel tube car and giving someone a tap in a bullet-proof carbon fibre tub.
    Senna had a knife fight.
    Schui was flying the Enola Gay.

[Edited on 27-4-0606 by Clown]
  • I'm too young for this. Can anyone explain me about Senna's attempt of murder?
  • Suzuka 1990
  • Passion and romance.

Senna inspired those emotions in the fans in regard to his driving in the first, and F1 in the second.

The Swervemaker is a cold, calculating machine to most, and will never have their love because of it.

That's about as far as you can go in comparing them, I reckon.

Should we regard the drivers of the sixties and early seventies as the greats, I wonder? Unlike the great names of the previous era, they had vehicles capable of real speed under them, and often as not, were at the mercy of rule of thumb aerodynamics on the part of their intuitive designers. Wings that acted directly upon the suspension would enable a car to corner at grossly high lateral force until the adhesion simply let go and they were passengers until the final thud. Worse, were the incidents when these wings - suspended as they were high above the roadway and the car - let go on high speed corners. There were two incidents in one race at the same corner (was it Holland?) when the second victim ploughed into the first.

Before either Senna, or the Swervemaker applied their undoubted talents to their ultra-reliable machines, these guys were racing, and winning in cars that they simply couldn't trust to hold together. What was Colin Chapman's creed? "The perfect car is one that falls to pieces after it crosses the finish line"; something like that. Would Senna or the Swervemaker get into a car that was designed by someone with that attitude?

I think the view to take is to regard the driver of the day as a great amongst his contemporaries, and to remember their achievements in light of the quality of the racing in which they triumphed.

BTW - Don't crap on about Senna's crash and risk-taking. The mechanical failure that took him out was not caused by the same things that were going on in the period mentioned. Not by half.
  • Originally posted by Lease
    Don't crap on about Senna's crash
    I don't know that anyone did..
  • Schumi has declined several offers to drive old TOIT cars and I'm not sure I blame him - ankles ahead of the front wheels is not my idea of fun.

Rindt was very worried by Lotus and (I believe) had already decided to leave the team.
  • It is nice to see you guys so focused on car safety, I'm sure you are looking forward to the introduction of fendered F1 cars:

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns16729.html

I don't think that drivers consider the relative danger of the cars they are in when they are dicing on the track. So the extent to which a drivers makes a reckless move comes determination to win rather to murder, or be murdered. Schumi has been utterly ruthless, but he has also been consistently triumphant in the era of the most evenly matched cars, and best trained and highly motivated drivers in largest numbers. Probably, for reasons that include his performance on the track but also his management of his teams. In that sense he is a more modern and more complete driver than Senna was.