Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

New helmet

Got my helmet back the other day - the paint job looks fantastic! It doesnt sparkle so much in the photo though.

Comments

• BITCHIN"! HOWEVER, WHERE IS THE REFERENCE TO YOUR MAIN SPONSORS?

Sorry 'bout the caps - forgot they were on.
  • Well i'm not going to have my sponsors painted on, geez.

Like I said, I'm having the lovely people at Computer Cut Signs and Graphics make me a whole bunch of FM.com stickers, for the car, my visor and distribution to FM.com members.
  • Well i'm not going to have my sponsors painted on, geez.
    Stoopid Quigley :P :hehe:
  • I'm doing my Dutch computer company owber impersonation.

Brooks - in my 7 year racing career I never had my helmet done. Back then it really was not done - you just took what bell or Simpson had (white typically) and off you went. Near the end of my time painted helmets started showing up and I put my idea down on paper. The cost was about $500 back in those days - a guy named Troy Lee was just getting started....

The rest is history.

Ii wish I had painted it - it just looks old and faded sitting in my shop now.
  • You knocked back a Troy Lee for $500? :o
    Whoops....

[Edited on 18/1/2005 by Clown]
  • Ouch! I'd be kicking myself over that one :( Then again you could still get it done - the cost wouldnt have changed too much. (might even be cheaper?) Make that helmet an ornament for the living room! :D

Mine cost me $850 Australian to be painted, plus $50 for a lovely embroidered sheepskin-lined bag to carry it. It was done by Matthew Grice from http://www.airxtremeart.com/ He did a great job, and I had my helmet back within a week!

He's updating the website at the moment, so in a couple of months my helmet will appear in the gallery, with a picture of the car also. He's offered if any website i'm associated with puts a link to his site on theirs, he'll do the same.

[Edited on 18/1/2005 by Brooksey]
  • I'm getting a new helmet in June, as hans devices have been made manditory...
    That's going to be expensive enough as it is without gettin it painted, but just wait till i go nuts with the race tape and sticker cutter :D
  • How much has a steel version of the HANS run?
  • HANS device helmets are bloody expensive, what class are you racing in? We could have a FM.com team going here! :D :P

I heard someone say it's possible to modify existing helmets to accomidate HANS devices, and that the steel clips can be put on by 'certified' people. Is this true?
  • Yes, normal helmets can be modified to fit a HANS device.
    I need a new helmet anyway. I'm using my dad's helmet at the moment, which is over ten years old.

I'm racing Formula 500s at the moment, should be moving to Sprintcars next season.
  • Awesome! I remember watching them at West Wylong a few years ago. Damn they're quick!
  • Plus Panda kicks the shit outta everyone....
  • everyone in Brisbane at least.

am going to Bundaburg this weekend in the quest for some competition :P
  • I'll be at BIS with Darius :cool:
  • I know... give Grose a two-man Mexican wave during hotlaps for me :D
  • I wonder if he'll get the track to himself again because they're all scared of him.

BTW: You're gonna miss the rollover cars and caravan derby :cool:
  • Formula 500's are awesome. I had a go at one of these things a few years ago. A lad I went to school with and his family used to race them around a track in a paddock at their farm.

The lad I went to school with was Graham Dumsney, his older brother's name is Max. The family had a dairy farm just outside Warrnambool in Victoria and we used to blat round the place, bloody magic. A bit scary at times, but good fun.
  • brooksey how dare you - i go to all that trouble designing u a lid and you don't use it:spank:

only kidding - looks nice
  • I had a whole list of designs on the table, and the guy talked me into this one. It started out chrome and green but progressed into metalflake silver and green with yellow bits. Besides, your helmet will be in the Welsh colours, so it's only right mine is in Australian colours - being future team mates and all! :P:angel:
  • Don't worry Matty, I'll put St. David's cross on my helmet for ya :p
  • Mine cost me $850 Australian to be painted
    Thats about £2.95 to the Brits on the board!
  • Brooxy, it's damned cool!
  • And it's damn dirty!

I started pre-season testing today at Wakefield Park near Goulburn. The focus of the day was to sort out the handling difficulties faces at the previous Oran Park race meeting, and test a new spec engine.

It was quite hard work. I would put in around 10-15 laps before coming in and having 20 minutes to discuss the handling of the car over the course of a lap, document each lap time and plot where the problems are on a track map and make a suspension setup change before heading out again to try the new changes.

The suspension work was completed by around 12pm local time, so we then worked on fuel loads, first testing on full tanks to calculate the fuel burn per lap, then on low tanks to see if less fuel (less weight) makes much of a difference.

In total, I completed almost 250km of testing over the course of the day. The good news is the car has improved out of sight since it's debut, and we hope to be top 10 contenders come Round 1 at Wakefield Park in 6 weeks time.
  • 250km, that's like 110 laps.
    nice work :)
  • 250km, that's like 110 laps.
    nice work :)
    Yeah it was a tad over 100 from the laps we have logged. Pretty good days work, although i'm definately feeling it now! :( Bruises and bumps all over! :spank:
  • Keep us posted Brooksey, If I can get to Wakefield for the first round, I'll try to catch up. What's the date of the first round, don't say March I'll be in Victoria for most of March.
  • It's the weekend after the AGP...in March.