Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

The US has gone TOO FAR!

OK.

NO NOT OK!!

They've crossed the line!

This is a declaration of war against one of their few remaining allies!

The US has.........

BANNED VEGEMITE!

Comments

• why would one ban vegemite?
  • Why would one eat it?
  • Yeh, but what is vegemite??????

Usually we eat pizza, pasta, potatoes, soups, rice etc, but what is vegemite? Something to do with vegetables I suppose....
  • Vegemite is a highly concentrated super-food.

Created in Australia, laboratory tests showed Vegemite to have 600% more vitamins than any other substance on earth, by volume.

It is, in fact, so powerful that only the mighty Australians can handle its awesome nutritional force:

Australian Astronauts are given jars of Vegemite to survive winter in the lonely vacuum of space.
    Roman General Russell Crowe enjoys eating Vegemite on toast.
    Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin used Vegemite to temper his venom-rich blood.
    Phar Lap won 37 of the 51 races in which he started, including fourteen in a row in 1930-31.

....from one of the many web sites dedicated to this famous Aussie power food.

Apparently the Americans have disvovered that one of its B vitamins exceeds the amount safe for their citizens.
  • A former roomate of mine used to eat the stuff like it was going out of style. The biggest problem I have is that someone in the US Food and Drug Administration ACTUALLY took the time and probably spent tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars, to investigate a food that has only proven to be good and to the best of the collective worlds knowledge has done no har.

However, that same FDA Administration allows Red Bull, Rock Star and all of the ever increasing potency "energy drinks" to be approved for sale to all - even kids.

Nope, too much Vit B is not good but caffene, taurine and sugar is just fine.
  • is vegemite something like marmite? (no rocks please, i honestly don't know)
  • Similar, I believe. I've never had marmite, so I can't be sure.

It really gives you a kick in the back of the throat. Australians swear by the stuff.
  • funny stuff, when I first had it I thought I was sucking on a Maggi cube (you know the stuff you put in a soup)
  • It is virtually impossible not to sit in a street cafe in Paris in the morning and not have baguette/croissant with confiture (Jam/Jelly).

For almost our entire population, breakfast with vegemite on toast is the thing.

Personally, I've never understood why it gets so much airplay. It's a yeast spread with a very strong taste that you either love, or hate. I like it fine. It is the same sort of thing as marmite, though marmite has a strange, chemically taste that makes it quite inferior.

If you havn't grown up with it, you are unlikely to see the point in eating it, and Kraft are unlikely to push it on you.

What I reckon is that the dickheads from the food authorities come back from their international conferences and try to show that they have the strictest, highest-tech methods of finding crap in foods from the other delegates' countries, and ban them.

Right up until this year, you could not buy an imported, or a local cheese in Australia that was made from non-pasteurised milk. This was considered to be bacteriological suicide. Forget the fact that people have been eating the stuff for millenia. Only this year have they relented. Salami, and other manufactured meats still can't be imported though.

Quig's right on this one. They waste tax-payer's money looking at obscure crap, whilst allowing socially inappropriate things to get the nod.
  • F#$&*NG YANKS.......................

Vegemite is the food of champions. The problem the Yanks seem to have with it is the fact that is has folate in it, and the yanks only allow folate in certain breads and cereals. Therefore it fails the FDA test.

F#$&*NG STUPID YANKS..............

Present compant accepted of course. ;)
  • Yup vegimite is like marmite. But marmites better!!!

Bovril, now thats something else!!!!!

[Edited on 25-10-0606 by Ste]
  • GO VEGGY!
  • i wouldn't even go as far as Red Bull, have a look at this (spotted it on John Stewart's show the other day)

• Ohmigod.

And who can forget the ancient Scots delicacies of Deep Fried Pizza and Deep Fried Mars Bar? If it moves up there, they fry the f*cker. In fact, even if it doesn't move ...