Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Minardi in Champcar ??

Comments

• I dont think Paul would gain much by entering in Champ Car as Minardi. In Champ car the sponsor rules and it would be most unusual for any team to call itself by the team name. Personally I think he should go for a big Aussie sponsor like Qantas or Fosters and call the team after them as not a lot of Champ Car people will know or care about Minardi
    so where does that put Newman/Haas and Dayle Coyne? Besides, there already is a Team Australia
  • According to Grandprix.com:
    Stoddart 90% certain to go to Champ Car
    The Minardi team is almost certain to enter Champ Cars next year with Paul Stoddart planning to make an announcement within the next 10 days. We understand that there are still three options available to the team, all of which will involve acquiring current teams. Stoddart is not giving anything away at the moment but says that it will probably be an Indianapolis-based team. Stoddart says that there are three drivers in the frame, all of them ex-Minardi F1.

"And Mark Webber and Fernando Alonso are not on the list!" he says.

Nor, for that matter, is Robert Doornbos who seems more and more likely to be sliding into a Scuderia Toro Rosso drive next year, alongside Tonio Liuzzi. If that happens Scott Speed is going to be looking for work although it is possible that Red Bull will help out its long-time protege by funding a ride in America, perhaps alongside Neel Jani at PKV Racing.

The Minardi name will thus be appearing in both GP2 and Champ Car as Giancarlo Minardi owns the right to use the name in association with an Italian company and Stoddart owns the right to use the name in relation to a British-based company.

Stoddart is still working on a book about his time in F1 but says that the story will not come out until the autumn of 2007
    Interesitng bit about the MInardi name rights!!!!!
  • I think their explanation sucks we'll see how it will unfold :D
  • So if Stoddart decides to buy an Indy based team, then I assume he will have a dummy office in England so he can use the Minardi name.

As for Stoddart using the name I don't really care if he does or does not, as long as Zsolt gets a drive. Wouldn't mind him bringing the F1x2 cars to champ car events either, as they have a race here.
  • Good point -- Zsolot would be awesomw in a Champ car - he has scored at Indy as well!
  • "so where does that put Newman/Haas and Dayle Coyne? Besides, there already is a Team Australia"

Hey I am just saying Champ car is well below NASCAR over here. A big majority of fans only know the drivers or the cars Like Bourdais drives a McDonalds car. I dont watch Chump Cars since the Tony George split Champ/IRL both have very poor shows to offer. It seems to me Paul needs to have a big sponsor to decorate his car and what better way then a big Australian company. Oh on team Australia the 11 guys here in this office couldn't tell you a thing about the team yet nearly all can name the grid in F1 and certainly most of NASCAR. Why not push Paul for NASCAR now there is a chance for him!
  • I would rather see Paul go to the American Le Mans Series, Dakar Rally, Le Mans, DTM, and the list goes on before I would ever want to see him in Nascar, especially if he wants to use the Minardi name.
  • Curious it is, where our thresholds are?

Whilst I think that MCSF are way too precious about the context in which the name can be used, I find myself - like Telstar - mortified by the thought of Minardi on a NASCAR.

As far as large Australian sponsors are concerend, forget it.

Those that have interests in foreign consumer markets can all be found sticking their names onto sporting events, or signs at sporting events. They realise that you get better visibility and a guaranteed amount of airtime, as opposed to taking the risk that your car will be good enough to have your name in the camera frame.
  • Plus your "stock car" (Oz V8) is a much better series. Hard chargin', door slammin WITH both left and right corners!
  • Spot on Lease, I can't remember a large Australian company sponsor a race car other than in the local V8 series. Nascar, we don't get here, nor are we interested. Champ Car, apart from the Gold Coast race we see very little.

I couldn't care less whether he uses the Minardi name in Champ Car or not. But why not call the race team after himself, like a few other team owners.

I don't think alot of yanks will associate "Minardi" with Paul Stoddart, or are aware of the name in the history of F1.

I think its time for a new start Paul.

• Plus your "stock car" (Oz V8) is a much better series. Hard chargin', door slammin WITH both left and right corners!
    Now comes with dead guys!

But you are correct. That series, whilst carrying a lot of foreign sponsor muscle, is a showcase for a lot of Oz companies.
  • What were the side rails of that cage made of? Or what on earth did he hit?
  • Quig, in this case the roll cage did it's job, and was intact. Unfortunately, Bathurst has a lot of blind corners, and when a drivers loses control around one and is parked across the track, there is usually only one outcome.

A car hitting you in the side (the drivers side) at 200 Kph. There just isn't enough time to react for other drivers. Not sure how long it took for the yellows to be waved.

The force of impact was enough to kill him.
  • "I don't think alot of yanks will associate "Minardi" with Paul Stoddart, or are aware of the name in the history of F1.

I think its time for a new start Paul. "

Exactly what I tried say. Minardi has a small (But very Loyal) following in the US. Paul calling his team Minardi would mean nothing to the vast majority. I find the lack of Aussie sponsors dissapointing. A shame really that say XXXX Beer would not like a bit of stateside advertising. Over here NASCAR is king and the other forms of racing follow a distant second. I think the arrival of Montoya was a master stroke. The January issue of SI is planning a special feature on Montoya in NASCAR My friend Jim Lessen has spent a bit of time with JPM during his NASCAR "Training" and he is currently finishing the article.
  • I don't think it's about using the name for history's sake or to gain popularity. I just think Paul wants to use it because it means something to him now.
  • i heard he' bought rusport...
  • isn't that Justin Wilson's team?
  • James - could you share some light on the possibility of the Minardi name being used on a non Minardi related car/team?
  • I'm not too sure but as I understand it Paul own's the rights to the name. As I understand it he is perfectly in his rights to call any team "Minardi".

Personally I don't think he should but you can argue that until your blue in the face.
  • The GP2 Team is nothing to do with Minardi it is only a name / marketing thing - same as the Euro 3000 Team, except that Giovanni works there that is the only link. I saw GCM at Monza and he said he doesn't have anything to do with it its Giovanni's baby.

There is also a "Minardi" Formula Renault Team that has or had the Minardi name on. But that was just it, it had nothing to do with the F1 team in any of the 3 years that I was in Faenza.
  • James, have you read the interview with Giovanni here?

In it, I infer that GCM actualy does play a role in the Team. Input?
  • Hmmm, I think Quig got fooled by an Italian !!!!:P
  • "Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair! ..."
  • guys, guys, quig was just joking, weren't you Emmett?
  • Not in the least.

What does the following quote from the interview mean to you?

Q What is GCM´s involvement in the Team? Is it on a daily basis as
    well?
    A ”Not always. It depends on the subjects we talk about. When we talk about organizing he is very useful”.

• The GP2 Team is nothing to do with Minardi it is only a name / marketing thing - same as the Euro 3000 Team, except that Giovanni works there that is the only link. I saw GCM at Monza and he said he doesn't have anything to do with it its Giovanni's baby.
    James on the 11th of September we had dinner with GCM. His conversations that night were amazing. He spoke of the "Good ole days" He spoke of the bad. But most importantly he also spoke of the future. To say he has nothing to do with the Current team "GP2 or Euro3000" is a total contridiction to the conversations we had that evening with GCM and believe me it's a lot more than just marketing! Yes Giovanni is now to the fore. The mantle has been passed. The Formula Renault gig is a long running support to BVM to which GCM has a connection with Bertoni and Vannini since the late '80's. While the financial support is unknown I am sure the name is out of friendship and respect to GCM.

[Edited on 6-11-0606 by Ger]
  • To back Ger up, as wel as my position, I refer back to the email sent out by Club Roma on the behalf of GCM in which it says:

I'm Emanuele, the president of the Club in rome
    I'm writing to you because, as you well know, everything has changed.
    We didn't get any news about what to do, Roberta doesn't work anymore in "Minardi" (Toro Rosso) and neither Gian Carlo.
    Clearly, the Roma Club protested with Toro Rosso and so did the other clubs in Italy.
    You must have known that GCM has a new team, I'm in constant touch with him, the Roma Club will continue to exist and to give its support to the new Minardi Team. GCM will let us know how and when we'll start again to support Minardi
    What are you going to do? Are you with us? Gian Carlo asked me to get in touch with all the Minardi clubs to organize everything.

I have pu tin bold the points I feel are the most important in this debate.

Check
  • The Jos and Bas show?
  • fabrizio, that's amazing! where did you get it? or did you make them (which would make it even more amazing)?