Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Bye Bye Donnie

Bad week for both of them, ey?

Just watching Dubya's press conference, dear me, I've never seen him like this. He looks pissed off and somehow scared. His voice is trembling. Dear me, amazing what one election, ridiculed by some as a neglegible exercise in democracy, can do.

Comments

• He won't be the last to fall on his sword...
  • Fair dinkum! Do these yanks know anything about where their heads are???!!!???

They spend the last decade building up a neocon administration, and then tear it all down overnight over one issue.
  • Yes, because even the idiots in this country saw what was wrong when it came to fruition. The last 6 years have been hellish.
  • Well done to the American people!
  • It's time to unleash the nukes.
  • You don't need nukes, you got Arnie!

He's having a better day than George and Rummie!

Spin
  • Because he's a "just kidding" Republican
  • You mean Da GOVERNATOR!
  • The Decider has made absolutely the wrong choice in Robert Gates for SOD.

Bush seems destined to go from bad to worse?
    Anything to cover his ass.

This is now a test for the Dems.

Spin

On the other hand Gates may have learned a lot since his days of funding terrorists and arming Dictators.

IF HE HAS, then he may be able to help the Decider to understand the need for change.

I hope that I'll be surprised this time.

[Edited on 9-11-06 by Dr_Spin]
  • For the 300,000th time - I am not a Republican. I am an independant conservative.

[Edited on 9-11-06 by MCSF]
  • Originally posted by MCSF
    For the 300,000th time - I am not a Republican. I am an independant conservative.

[Edited on 9-11-06 by MCSF]
    You could have 'nuked' me ;)
  • The closest we have to the Republicans here in Blighty is the Conservative Party (although its trying to be cuddly and green at the moment; this will pass).

I seem to remember covering county council elections as a boy reporter and every single 'independent' candidate was someone who was either:

- too racist
    - too lazy
    - or too eccentric (and that's saying something)

for the Conservatives.

Just thought I'd mention it.
  • The closest we have to the Republicans here in Blighty is the Conservative Party (although its trying to be cuddly and green at the moment; this will pass).

I seem to remember covering county council elections as a boy reporter and every single 'independent' candidate was someone who was either:

- too racist
    - too lazy
    - or too eccentric (and that's saying something)

for the Conservatives.

Just thought I'd mention it.
  • they turned me down for an internship the bastards!!
  • CNN or the Republicans?
  • There's a difference?!?!?!?!
  • applied for a working group of the Globalisation and Global Poverty Challenge think tank which is part of the Conservatives. Was circulated at uni but they didn't want someone not resident in the UK, surprise, surprise
  • Actually I think MCSF would make a good Defence Secretary.

But he doesn't fool me with nuke talk.
    He hasn't got a long enough fuse!

Spin
  • So my wife asks me the other day:

"who do you think you are going to satisfy with that?"

I answered..."Me!"
  • I disagree with you Spin on the Gates appointment. He's miles ahead of Dr Strangelove ( Rumsfeld) in his approach.
    In an interesting interview in 1996 he expalained why the first Bush adminstration did not topple Saddam during the first Gulf War.
    Simply put, the administration did not want to become embroiled in a situation that meant having to rebuild infrastruction and introduce democracy. Too reminiscent of Vietnam. How prescient he was. Whether he can fix the mess in Irag now is a helluva an ask!
  • I admit we're not privy to the real details of his role in the past. It is possible that he did try to moderate some of the CIA excesses, and understood the need for more talk and influence rather than escalation of weaponry.

It is the comments that he tailored intelligence to fit expectations, and denied knowledge of programs he should have known about that marks him as the spook rather than a great future leader of the superpower defence organisation.

Hell, he's President of one of my old universities, I've every reason to like the guy, who is a welcome change from Rummy.

He does have a "heck of a job" to do. I guess we're not going to see a General Shinseki brought back. But we may hopefully see the current Generals get to do their job.

His time on the Baker Committee and chance to look objectively at events with some academic detachment may help. It's the buddy of GWB tag that really worries me.

Can I admit to a little stirring to stimulate some critical evaluation rather than than just jumping on the "anyone better than Rumsfeld" and "Bush has listened" bandwagons?

A "Don" to replace Don, Eh?

Spin

• they turned me down for an internship the bastards!!
    mark foley will give you a job, robert.

• Just watching Dubya's press conference, dear me, I've never seen him like this. He looks pissed off and somehow scared. His voice is trembling.
    he's got every reason to tremble.

rummy gone, dummy and scummy to go before term ends hopefully with indictments and trialed for crimes against humanity.
  • Crimes against humanity.....

What about AL Queda saying that they are going to wipe out the Jews and flatten the White House? When are you going to condemn THEIR actions/intentions.

Remember, if a man says he is going to put a bomb in your mothers house the only solution is to put a bomb in HIS mothers house.

Islam - in particular the hardcore variety - needs a reformation and NOW!
  • quig, i've condemned all terrorist actions from day 1. i've said it in 2001 that iraq shouldn't be invaded and that these muslims there who are mostly satans in disguise should let themselves eliminate themselves and that civil war IS inevitable and that the present scenario was PERFECTLY forcast by me as well as many others.

If you want me to say it again, all al-quedas, all terrorists, all extremists ARE guilty and no time or money should be wasted to trial those who are guilty and had openly professed such terroristic actions. let them kill each other through their own internal ideological differences or let the americans eliminate them covertly without affecting other civilians and if these all fail, God will surely burn them in eternity in hell!
  • in the same breath, if the americans don't convict and execute dummy, scummy and rummy, then they WILL end up in the same hell anyway and they would have al-queda for company...won't it be fun!
  • I condemn Al Quaeda!

I also advise Americans to ignore the claims of Al Quaeda that they are winning!

Reflect on the realities and truth of the war equation but don't over-react to the obvious!

It is almost inevitable that an unpopular occupying force in a violent and ungoverned country will be resisted by the local resistance, insurgents and/or terrorists!

Hasn't the US been listening at all to those who said this war was based on bad judgement and ignorance from the start.

The US should now spend more time listening to their allies and neutral countries who urge constructive changes in US policies.

Of course the T's will taunt and try to provoke more violence. Will the USA act like a mad bull, or go about putting its rather discredited (white) house in order.

It needs to start with getting back to its Constitution, respect for the 3 branches of Government, habeus corpus, abolition of torture, a balanced approach to Israel and its neighbours, respect for the sovereignty of other countries, respect for the power of persuasion and the intellect of the community.

Then it could start by fixing some of America's problems instead of trying to peddle fear of a foreign enemy.

Re Quig's proposition:
    "Remember, if a man says he is going to put a bomb in your mothers house the only solution is to put a bomb in HIS mothers house."

Would you really let such a person determine how you should act ?

If he threatened to rape your wife or kid, would you rape his? Civilisation develops from the standards of the best, not the worst. It has to be judged by the actions of its members rather than the actions of the minority who reject its principles.

Spin

• mark foley will give you a job, robert
    nah, wouldn't pass the "opticals" for a 16 year old page...
  • Quig, far be it for me to speak for other posters but we can take it as read that everyone wholeheartedly condemns Al Queda!