Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

RIP Saddam

What a FARCE people!!!!
Now don't get me wrong, he probably deserved it, but the way it went about is wrong and a shame.

The whole trial smacked of the French Revolution (as in, "give him a 'fair' trial and then hang him").

You know how long convicts in the US are on death row in order to guarrantee a fair trial? More than 20 years sometimes and here he was hanged (HANGED!!!???) within a month of his sentence without any right to appeal.

Bush applauding this shows me that some of his views are even more Neanderthalian than I could have ever imagined.

And don't even try to compare this to Nuremberg or Tokyo. That might have brought closure to Germany and Japan but I can imagine that the average Iraqi, plagued by insurgency that has absolutely nothing to do with Saddam anymore, couldn't care less.

Farce, farce, farce and a disgrace for the Western world!

Comments

• RJ, if one mounts a war for regime change one then does not leave the said leader of the regime alive. It was a pretty disgusting affair and from reports of the execution he went to his death with great dignity. Whatever Saddam was, no-one can say he was a coward.
    The whole execution seems an act of political revenge to gain favour among the Shia majority. I for one can't see any good coming from the sorry affair!
  • I think this is interesting because his lawyer had doubts on the legality of this. He said that international right does not allow exchange of prisoners of war. I also read that although he was convicted by Iraqi law, he was executed by the US.

Is there anyone who can shed some light on this?

[Edited on 30-12-06 by Stan]
  • He was handed over to the Iraqi authorities. The US thus distanced themselves from the affair. However as occupying authority they may have ultimate responsibility.
    Lets face it Iraq as a country will cease to exist and will divide along sectarian grounds as Yugoslavia did.
  • You could see from the shots of the execution that were released that he didn't die a blubbering idiot. Kudos to Saddam for keeping it all together.

Shame on the US for the way they handled this.
  • Thats it. FU idiots. The Iraqi government was entirely responsible for teying and judging this a hole. He killed hundreds of thousands and f millions over. The Shiites and Kurds are happy as hell. Even Iran is applauding this act by the SOVERIGN GOVERNMENT OF IRAQ.

So the guy goes to the gallows likie a man - no doubt he was one tough mother fucker - but he was evil as the day is long.

As far as this being an entirely US operation - remember it was a US LED coalition - to include Brits and Aussies + 17 UN Resolutions.....

While you are at it do you want to walk back along memory lane to Nuremberg Germany post WWII? You people want to take up for the NAZI's that were tried there - but wait....they were tried by the Allies and not the Germans themselves.......

Was that wrong? Did we kill people without a fair - as you call it - trial.....?

RIP Saddam - hell no - let him burn in hell.

Happy New Year.

[Edited on 31-12-06 by MCSF]
  • Wow that sure seemed worthwhile, didn't it? A satisfying end to a well thought out and expertly executed strategy formulated by people of the highest caliber.
  • Excuse me Emmett, but may I ask who you are angry at, and why? Because I don't really see your point. When did this ban on asking questions start? I don't see anyone here saying that he didn't deserve this.

[Edited on 31-12-06 by Stan]
  • P1 for example - blaming the US etc etc. You putting out "facts" that are not supported by evidence. People saying Rest In Peace to a butcher like Saddam. What has gotten into you - whats next - throwing a party for Mao,Stalin and Hitler?

[Edited on 31-12-06 by MCSF]
  • Alright. I was sort of afraid I said something stupid.
  • Originally posted by MCSFthrowing a party for Mao,Stalin and Hitler?
    all three had their good points.
  • "RIP Saddam - hell no - let him burn in hell."

He will be meeting Pinochet! Didn't Pinochet also tortured and "vanished" a lot of people? Was he justiced? Was he hanged? No....

That's what I call double standard and that is what is mostly annoying a lot of people from around the world.
  • Irrespective of one's views of capital punishment, the manner of the execution has done little to help a country needing reconcialation.
    He was handed over to Shia executioners, had his last rites delivered by a Shiite cleric, and this is the deal breaker, the audience was infiltrated with members of the Maqdi Army. An organisation run by a man that the US stae department has labelled as the most dangerous man in Iraq.
    For any Sunni Muslim this could not be seen as justice. I'm somewhat bemused that we should cite Iran's response as justification for the affair. More sobering was the response of Egypt and Saudi Arabia who are deemed as true US allies.
  • over the years, I've come to oppose the death penalty for ordinary criminals.

That's based on three main premises:

1. You don't make a case for ending violence by using violence itself.

2. The threat of the death penalty doesn't seem to deter serious crime or crimes of passion. In fact, if anything, the threat may cause criminals to to be more desperate to avoid capture and in their escape attempts.

3. There isn't a government that I would trust to use this ultimate punishment with the necessary certainty of guilt. Too many cases of people wrongly convicted and executed, to appease vested interests or a blood lust public, ..... and when that happens, the true culprit remains free.

All that said, Iraq needed to close this black chapter and while Saddam remained alive, some people would believe that he could rise up again. I can accept that monsters might deserve extreme measures.

I've felt uncomfortable with executions, as I'd prefer to incarcerate and in some cases possibly rehabilitate, than to pay the cost to our collective humanity from killing one of our own.

In Saddam's execution, I feel neither sympathy nor guilt. his life just wasn't worth it. It would have been better to have simply conducted the whole exercise with great decorum. However it could have been worse, e.g. with a public lynching and mutilation in the town square.

Good riddance!

Spin