Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

The overtaking debate

The problem facing F1 was illustrated at Spa last weekend. How can a driver on a one stop strategy so effective hold up faster 2 stooping cars.
I suspect that part of the problem lays with the complex electronics the cars are running making it easier for a car thats carrying 30kg more fuel to get into and out of the braking areas.
I was listening to the BBc F1 program and heard an engine supplier say that banning traction control will have liitle effect as they will simply change the engine map.
If thats the case then the FIA should mandate that once the car enters park ferme conditions the engine can nolonger be altered. So what you use in quali has to work in the race. I think we'd see alot more drivers errors and hence more overtaking!

Comments

• Aero, aero, aero.

Anyway, look at Lewis at Monza; when they HAVE to overtake, they do. Its too easy to 'wait for the stops'.

Ban pitstops.
  • My solution would be to ban Carbon Brakes. Steel Brake would increase braking distances. Ban all those ugly flip aero devices and barge boards. Increase the size of the rear tyres whilst reducing the size of front tyres.

But most of all simplfy the steering wheel to include only the following items.

Pit lane speed limiter.
    Radio on button
    Drink Button
    Paddles for up and down gearshift.
    Fuel Mixture (like champcar has. a dial with various settings adjusting the fuel to air ratio)
    Brake Bias.
    Rain light on Button
    Nothing else.

With traction control being banned next year the drivers don't need anything else.

changing of engine maps will come under perc ferme conditions so the engine map used in q3 will be used in the race.

I will also ban teams from testing at a grandprix circuit between the first race of the season and the date of that circuits gp. Unless its you ONE named test track.

If the track is new to the calender eg Valencia then extra time will be given on the race weekend.

That rests my case.
  • I think Williams did a test with steel brahes. They gave the same performance as the carbon ones. Their advantage is that they provide less unsprung mass at the wheel attachments.
    Apart from that I agree with your suggestions.
  • I didn't know about the Williams tests with the steel brakes. My knowledge of the steel brakes came from when Zanardi used them when he drove for Williams. I read somewhere that they increased braking distances because they were less efficient. That point aside I'm glad someone agrees with me, all we need now is Bernie or Max to see this topic and jobs a good 'un as they say.
  • It has always been part of the risks of running a two stop strategy, that you will get held up by slower cars on single stop - the secret is to qualify ahead of them on the grid.
  • Just ban brakes altogether.
    Less un-sprung weight, and it will sort out the men from the boys.
    (Might have to long stroke the motors a bit though?)