Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Beijing 2008 Olympics

Finally the Games started!
Let's hope them not to be marred by doping,and let's hope them to be a help to Tobet (though I doubt it.....).
I don't thonk there's gonnabe any islamic attack......
Hope to see great competitions. Really curious to see how many world records will be beaten, very curious to see Phelps, Torres, Bettini, Isinbaeva and Vlasic, among all the others.
And to see if Italian football team is going to revenge the Eurodisaster.

Comments

• fantastic opening ceremony. Not usually a big fan of them, but they put on a great show.

Feel embarrased thinking of what London will serve up in 4 years compared to todays
  • The swimming section is not disappointing the expectancies! One world record after another.
    And Phelps in the legend, he already broke the total gold medal record (9) getting to 11, and overshadowing the likes of Paavo Nurmi, Mark Spitz, Carl Lewis....... Now, we have to see if he makes it to the record 15 total medals (he reached 13 so far) and specially if he manages to get 8 golds in a single edition, outshadowing the fantastic Munich'72 Spitz performance.

Great Italy as well, and once again amazing, amazing Valentina Vezzali in fencing!

Now I can't wait to see the athletics next week, and how football, volleyball, basketball and waterpolo will proceed!

The images of the Hungarian weightlifter breaking his elbow were terrifying.
  • [i]Originally posted by manlio27

The images of the Hungarian weightlifter breaking his elbow were terrifying.
    ya what? mustve completly missed that (thankfully)

The mens 4x100metre swimming really gave me goosebumps when i watched it, listening to the commentators pretty much giving up hope on the Americans catching the French, and thus ruining Phelps attempt at 8 golds, then the change of tone in the last 20 metres or so of the final leg, amazing stuff.

Cant wait for the track events to start!
  • Sailing for me but where they are holding this regatta is hopeless - it has to be the calmest place on the planet. Wait till Weymouth in 2012, come and sail in some British conditions!

British boxing has been a let down this year but the cyclists are awesome. Someone pointed out that the Brits are good at sports where you get to sit down (sailing, rowing, horses and cycling) ... very civilised.

PS tennis and football should not be at the Olympics. Rogge has quite correctly ruled this is the last games for bloody baseball and bloody softball. If they'd have come to London I think I would have disrupted them by streaking with only a stars and stripes hiding my immensity.
  • BTW 5 Live radio's tennis man agrees with you 4Eva - he says we should just put on the biggest rock concert of all time. Alternatively, just light the flame and start the 100m heats - I quite like that.
  • 2 sailing golds on one stormy morning. Bravo to the Sarahs and Pippa & Ben Ainslie in the Finn. He is mighty.

GBR third in the medals table ... won't last of course ...
  • And Beijing 2008 will be forever the games of Phelps and Bolt.
    Unforgettable performances, and fantastic games so far.
    Let's not forget Dara Torres (silver in swimming at 41!!!!!), Rafa Nadal (what a season.....)and all the others that competed and won with their work and their dedication.

In the 200 butterfly, it honestly seemed that Cavic had touched first.
    And in today's relay, Jason Lezak was fabulous, just like a few days ago.
    Bolt's 30 meters from meter 40 to meter 70 have been something I will never see again in my life, in the last 10 meters it seemed as though he had slowened down!!!!!!! Perhaps it could have been below 9.60.

I REALLY hope none of these great performances gets ruined by doping in the next few days.
  • I'm sorry but beach volleyball also has to go! Yes it has it's upside, but when is a recreation a sport, ditto BMX and throw in sailing and tennis (I just read about the softball and baseball, I agree)

Good to see the medals being shared around, apart from China.

Yanks must be pissed, if it wasn't for Phelps their swim program was almost non existent. While they still have a good haul overall, it's not what they have previously been.

China just seems so strong in a lot of sports overall.

While China has tried to put a civilised and orderly games, where is the atmosphere?

I just hope London takes a leaf out of Sydneys games and "allows" spectators to attend.
  • Strewth, Roo, you lot have done well in the sailing. Are you sure you want it out?! In terms of spectacle, it was one of the highlights of the Sydney games.
  • Sorry viges, can't get into sailing. It's not about medals. Sydney! probably the location (Sydney Harbour) and conditions had a lot to do with that.

While I'm on it watched womens football. Dump that as well. I swear I've seen the local under 10's with more skill.
  • misogynist :P
  • Misogynist! Hardly, more of a realist.
  • Dump the following;
    Rythmic gymnastics,
    Synchronised diviving
    Synchronised swimming
    BMX biking
    Beach volley ball
    Windsurfing
    Softball
    The Madison, thats got to be a gambling cartels dream
  • Just notice the Yahoo.com medal table. Every other medal table on the planet (including the official one) is based on number of golds won. If there is a tie then number of silvers is taken into account. Not the yahoo one it shows total medals only so the Americans are shown to be ahead of the Chinese. Typical

Just a word of warning for music lovers eveywhere. Avoid the Closing ceremony because Leona Lewis is going to murder Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin.
  • Leona Lewis V's Led Zeppelin. The Beijing mix.

Just because it ÇAN be done, doesn't mean it should be done.

Ah well, crack a few open and laugh along, or for viges a shot of Pimms...
  • this is so funny

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/08/21/gymnasts.age/index.html

never has a chinese gymnast been of age, not just at the present Olympics :-)
  • Do you remember the basketball team which pretended to be mentally handicapped so they could take part in the Special Olympics? Spaniards, I think.
  • for a moment there I thought you meant the present team which did this incredibly stupid slit eyed thing

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Spanish-basketball-team-poses-for-offensive-pict?urn=oly,100152
  • Go Boris!!! Yesss.

Couple of lagers and wearing someone else's suit. Must have been missing buttons or
    he just couldn't button it up. Gut too big. Terrific appetiser to what London will dish up.

Forget the pomp, lets get the games back to basics.
  • Mayor Johnson is a giant among pygmies - you will enjoy his speech at the London House party, particularly the ping pong ...

• He's the Mayor of London!!!! Have seen his head on the telly a couple of times and was wondering from which gin swilling, incest ridden rock he'd crawled out under from.....

Is English his second language? Sounds like he speak fluent Dunkeness mostly.
  • And we can archive an unforgettable edition of the Games!

Now, for one year we'll unfortunately set swimming and athletics aside, and many other sports (fencing, shootings, rowing....)will be totally forgotten for 4 years.

But Phelps, Bolt, Isinbaeva,Vezzali, the Jamaican sprintwomen, Dara Torres, and many others will be forever in our memory!!!!

Now, back to football and to the top of the F1 and MotoGP seasons!
  • Dear Oz, Boris is delightfully mongrel, as are all the best Brits (and, possibly, some Australians)...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/whodoyouthinkyouare/new-stories/boris-johnson/