Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Oi Bernie No

I see Bernie has final lost the plot. He now wants to stop awarding points and give medals to the first, second and third place finishers. The person with the most medals wins the championship.
On this set up Massa would have won this years championship 6 golds to 5. Bernie if your that bothered about the driver who has won the most races winning the title give 15 points to the winner 11 points for second and 7 points for third.

Eddie "the wig" Jordan has already slammed the suggestion on the autosport website suggesting that the smaller teams will have nothing to fight for.

Bear in mind that Bernie wants to change the qualifying to offer a point for pole posistion (hang on surely that should be a medal!!!!)

Bernie also claims that he has the backing of all the teams.

This is dangerous times F1 as we know and the sport we love could be damaged forever.

On the plus side no more James Allen commentaries, so lets be thankful for small mercies.

[Edited on 26-11-08 by steamdrivenhammer]

Comments

• hmmm he could call it something like the "special olympics", ey?
  • Why stop at medals...What about awarding laurel wreaths and a sash!!! Ah just like the olden days.
  • Never! It would obscure the sponsor logos!
  • This is one thing I like about ol' Bernard, every now and then he'll throw something in from left field just to get people talking about F1.

Why not award a point for pole? Maybe even one for fastest lap, most laps led even.
  • What is the point of awarding a point for pole if it isn't a medal!!!!!

Therefore it won't make a difference in the grand scheme of things.

[Edited on 29-11-08 by steamdrivenhammer]
  • Hearing this bizarre proposal of the "medals", that is total and complete nonsense, and remembering the other F1-killing idea of same engine for all cars, I think it's either of the following:
    1) Bernie's totally gone into arteriosclerosis, and his speeches are just deliria (that may also be justified by Slavica's decision to divorce....), or
    2) Oz is right, and he just throws these boutades to keep attention focused on F1 in these dead months, while also laughing at the journos and at all of us who listen and comment.......

....and I'm starting to think number 2 is more likely.......
  • Well, after the FIA-FOTA meeting held last Wednesday, the idea of the same engine for all cars starting from 2010 is set aside.

Good for F1, of course, good also because teams agreed various measures to reduce costs, and of course I'm more and more in agreement with Oz on the post above.....we won't hear anymore about medals either.....
  • According to Crash.net McLaren have said they will back the medal proposal. I think this is sour grapes for them losing the constructors championship. Please please please will someone see sense and stop all this foolish medal talk now.
  • With the medals system, Prost would be 5 times champion (would have lost 86 to Mansell and 89 to Senna, but won 81 and 83 to Piquet and 84 to Lauda), Senna 4 times (88, 89, 90 and 91), Clark 4 times (63, 64, 65 and 67), Mansell 3 times (86, 87 and 92), Andretti (77 and 78) and Jones (79 and 80) twice each, Lauda only once (75), Hawthorn, Surtees, Scheckter, Hulme, Piquet, Rosberg and Hamilton would have never won, while Moss, Pironi and Massa would have been champions in 58, 82 and 08 respectively.

But it just means that who wins most races wins the title, which is passing from one extreme to the other (even though of course it would be more F1-like than being theoretically able to be champion with 2,1 or even 0 wins, and lots of 2nd places).

No, I'm with getting back to a 4 point difference between winner and 2nd, the medals wouldn't work, and would make the races very demotivating for the middle- and backmarkers.
  • The simple solution is to award 15 point for a win 11 points for second and 7 for third decreasing by one point thereafter. Problem solved Mr Ecclestone. Check please :)
  • Bernie was assaulted last night in Central London, outside the premises of his company's offices, by 2 or 3 assailants while he was with his girlfriend.

Jewels for a value of £200,000 were stolen, and he was hit twice on his head and had to be hospitalized for a few hours due to a deep wound on his head.

I know I shouldn't be so mean, but.......uaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha!
  • He sold to media the pictures of himself with bruised eyes, and made money out of it.

Arguable as we want, the guy is a f... genius!!!!!!!!