Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Honda Pulls out of F1

Announced this morning. Yes people will blame the economic downturn but one has to wonder about the appalling management. Nick Fry seemed incapable of making the hard decisions about obtaining good design staff. One assumes that any new buyer will weild a heavy axe within that team.
PS Mad Max chopping and changing of the technical rega has cost the teams a kings ransom in R and D. J'accuse....

Comments

• well apart from jenson taking one victory it has been a rather lacklustre display
  • Oh my oh my, this is bloody big news! Poor Jenson and Bruno!
    Well, Honda's performance in 2007 and 2008 has been ridiculously poor, still this was really unexpected, also considering the presence in the staff of a guy like Ross Brawn (where will he go now?).

And the big problem is that now the teams remain 9, and also for Toro Rosso (after Berger's pullout), Toyota and Force India I see a hazy future.......

Max and Bernie should seriously reflect about their continuous rule changes that in most cases end up increasing instead of reducing the costs......
  • Bernie and Max were right - the manufacturers always go in the end. Such a shame the FIA-independents alliance collapsed four years ago amid much fear and loathing. We would still have Jordan and Minardi ...
  • Well, whatever value STR had, it's at least halved.

Gotta be hard for all the teams to be faced with reduced funding when they have cars half developed.
  • God Almighty - do you only return when a team goes under?
  • Yes.........I like that part.

Actually, after got back from Europe last year (you remember, that was the pub crawl that you piked out early on), the dear company had managed to put FM on the list of banned websites. Having a young family means that all of my spare time was at work, which is when I attended to things such as contributions to this place.

Then in April of this year, I finally got a gig back in Canberra. Unfortunately, we have to do one of those staged moves again, which has meant that I have been since then commuting on weekends to Melbourne to be with the family. The family move happens end of December.

Meanwhile, the new job is with one of those companies that lets you earn as much as you want, but that means that one has to work very hard (during work time!)to source the business to earn the earn. I can't remember how long it has been since I worked so bloody hard,and time for FM has, lamentably, suffered. It is only now with Christmas approaching and the general slowdown that I have time to post in this place.

Whinge over.
  • Blah blah blah...
  • good to see that post-count padding is still popular
  • According to Swiss specialized mag Motorsport Aktuell, there's a serious chance FIA to allow teams to run a third car in 2009, as 18 drivers are too few for the show and specially for the TV contracts.

It's an interesting possibility, IMO, and definitely Ferrari (with Gene), McLaren (with De La Rosa), BMW (with Klien)and Force India (with Paffet through McLaren money) could be ready.

Red Bull might do it as well (with Button?)and Williams as well, even though they have the risk of seeing Toyota leaving (after Honda leaving F.1, also Subaru left rallies, and Toyota management risks to play, in front of the very prudent Japan finance markets, the part of the reckless spendthrifts in a period when factories risk to close and workers to go unemployed.......).

Yes, let's see what happens, definitely FIA cannot afford a F1 championship with only 18 (or 16!) cars on grid, and something will have to be done!

As for the other news of PSA group interested in taking over Honda F1 team, sounds very unlikely, considering the situation of French car industry as well (don't forget Renault might leave F1 as well..........).
  • Viges old son, must agree with you about Bernie and being right, but one can't help but remember that these independents that Max is so famous for fighting for have disappeared under his reign!

Maybe it's my Antipodean upbringing, but as far as I'm concerned Max can go shit in his hands and clap.
  • Yes, I don't think anyone still really knows why that all fell apart in the spring of 2004 - very sad. For what its worth I think Max was exasperated with the teams and suddenly Jordan and Minardi became the 'wrong sort' of independents. They stuck with the big boys and, as far as Max was concerned, they had made their bed so they could lay in it.

BTW - as soon as it drops to eight teams, the big teams are compelled to run extra cars.
  • Maybe we need that Iraqi guy to throw his shoes at Max. I'm sure he wont miss this time...
  • At least he would finally get some soul.
  • Oh, please, stop it.
  • Apparantly there are several parties interested in Honda. These include (in no particular order)

Dave Richards (via Prodrive presumably)
    Vijay Mallya
    Carlos Slim (68 year old Mexican Ex taxi driver and second richest man in the world worth 55 billion)

Honda insiders don't want Mallya to buy because he'll asset strip the best bits for force india. They're unsure where Dave richards is gonna get the cash from seeing has asked the government for help in bailing out Aston Martin.

So my money is on the Mexican cabbie. Imagine Jenson and Rubens driving for Slimtek brilliant!
  • Oh and how could I forget the Greek Shipping Magnet Achilleas Kallakis.:o

[Edited on 22-12-08 by steamdrivenhammer]
  • Story about thast Richards may be getting his cash from Korea. Hyundai/Kia may stump up with the dollars.
  • RE the Richards Korea Tie-in. One article I read said he went cap in hand to TID a Kuwaiti Bank which has shares in Prodrive. I wonder if they've got in touch with the Koreans?
  • According to Crash.net Nick Fry has made bid for the team. Don't know where he's got the cash from but its angered alot of the other bidders because of a potential conflict of interest.

Also Autosport says that "Honda" have been in talks with Mercedes Benz about engines. Interestingly if thats confirmed the official entry list will read

18 & 19 TBC Honda Mercedes-Benz

If it is I confirmed expect Paul Di Resta to play some role either as a driver or more likely a test driver.
  • I can't see the board of any car manufacturer agreeing to F1 at the moment.
  • The only major manufacturer I can see that would join F1, that being the Volkswagen Group, have no plans at current, not to mention they seem to be in bed with Red Bull with mutual sponsorships with each other.
  • It seems confirmed that Honda is still trying to keep the team alive to sell it. Rumours are that they hope to be on the grid in Melbourne. And steamdrivenhammer's rumour that they would be talking with Mercedes for the engines is confirmed.

But no news at all about any potential buyer.

And Mercedes have so little confiance on such new team, that they want all the money before delivering a single engine. Which means they don't believe at all in the suggestions the team could give them on the engines' behaviour (such "more testing" side is the trigger that pushes engine manufacturers to give their jewel to more clients, apart from money...).

No, I'm ready to bet this project won't see the light, and the Honda (ex BAR, ex Tyrrell) team will fade away like Lotus, Brabham, Arrows, Ligier/Prost, Larrousse....while, at least, a bit of Minardi is still there and went on top of the podium in Monza.
  • So, it looks like Jenson might just slip into a Virgin! Might be a tight fit...
  • according to motorsport-total.com, Honda will have a shakedown next week:
    "Das Team wird in der kommenden Woche einen Shakedown in Silverstone absolvieren, danach wird man an den Testfahrten in Barcelona und Jerez teilnehmen. Im Vergleich zur Konkurrenz von Force India und Toro Rosso hätte das Honda-Nachfolgeteam demnach in der Saisonvorbereitung gar nichts verloren. In den Verhandlungen mit Mercedes ist man kurz vor einem Abschluss, der Neuwagen bereits an das deutsche Triebwerk angepasst.Die Manager des Rennstalls haben das nötige "Kleingeld" auch ohne zusätzliche Hilfe von Bernie Ecclestone oder einem Milliardär (Carlos Slim, Richard Branson) zusammenbekommen. Durch die Gelder aus dem Vermarktungstopf, einer Finanzhilfe von Honda und neuen sowie alten Sponsoren könnten in etwa 80 Millionen Euro zusammengekommen sein. Angeblich könnte das Team unter dem Namen "Brackley F1" an der Formel-1-Weltmeisterschaft 2009 teilnehmen."

Brackley F1 is going to be the new name. Brawn and Fry somehwo got the money from Honda, Marketing and past and present sponsors.
  • It's confirmed also by the Times: Button will be in Silverstone next week for the first tests, then the team and the car shall be presented in Barcelona on March 9.

Second seat is still in doubt between Rubens and Bruno Senna, most probably the latter.

But I will believe all of this only when I see it.
  • According to Crash.net Fry will have "a less senior role."