Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

The Ashes

Good to see England are serious about the next Ashes encounter by appointing an outside coach, Andy Flower.

Andy is a well known player from that cricketing powerhouse country............erm..........Zimbabwe!!

Comments

• At least they picked one of the Zimbabwean players that could actually play a bit.
  • Should help the Zimbabwean economy no end.

What is it that they say:

'What's the capital of Zimbabwe?'

'........about 40 cents'
  • You rabble don't stand a chance and feel free to quote those words back at me in September. I have no shame.
  • Wow, beaten at cricket by the Dutch. I know its T20 but I just had to laugh.
  • Wasn't going to mention that but, well, seeing as someone else started it, did the Canadians make the competition? They could Englands next bogey team!! Can't figure out how the poms lost that game, it was dark, cloudy and raining. Isn't that a poms natural habitat???? And one of the Dutch teams best bowlers is a bloke that I think should be in the Ashes squad, but wasn't selected for our T20 squad, Dirk Nannes.
  • so let me get this straight: England was beaten by a team from a country where cricket ties in popularity with bowling, synchronised swimming and something called fierljeppen. haha you suck!! :-) at least you have Susan Boyle
  • I know I am supposed to care about one day cricket but I cannot.
  • Too true. I am really only interested in test cricket. 1 day not so much. T20! just cannot be bothered.

Just seems to be a form of the game where less skilled players ie, from the sub continent, can prosper.
  • So the first test has started and England seem to be right on the ball at 97-3 at lunch.......
  • Would have to say that at the end of the first day, the poms seem to have the upper hand. Wouldn't fancy batting last on that pitch, it looks pretty ordinary from here.

What the hell are we doing playing an Ashes test in Wales??? What's next, Glasgow, Shetland Islands?? Anybody for the Isle of Man????
  • No idea what they're doing in Cardiff, bloody stupid idea, can only assume a large amount of money was involved?
  • looks like a suburban ground for a lower grade team, not a Test match ground.

Anyhoo, I think day 3 will decide if a win or a draw is on the cards. I think a draw unless the Aussies up the tempo.
  • Close of day three: England's raindance may well be successful.

I was there on the opening day (sitting with some very entertaining Aussies) when England's batsmen threw away their wickets - KP's 69 was very measured but the ball that got him was silly.

Ponting and Katich showed what a batting paradise it really is.

Why Wales? Much like F1, money and politics. Glamorgan CCC outbid far more deserving clubs like Durham & Hampshire and God knows how they're going to make money out of it. The ex-chairman of the England (& Wales) Cricket Board is a Taff and he now heads the ICC. It was a stitch up.

The new ground is perfectly nice but is not an Ashes venue and its a travesty Old Trafford lost out.
  • I heard that Old Trafford got some one dayers instead.
  • Oh dear, my darling old Aussies; clutching a draw from the jaws of victory. How very English of you.

Bravo Monty and Jimmy - this series looks very tasty all of a sudden.

The look on Ponting's face ...
  • Considering our pedestrian attack I'm surprised we even had a chance to win...England's attack...woeful...batting...woeful..overall attitude...woeful.
    Sorry viges, but this is average Aussie side that is young and will get better with experience. I just thought some of your players need an attitude adjustment.
  • Monty and Jimmy!!! The blokes that saved you from defeat were the 12th man and the physio.
  • Not really sure how that ended as a draw? Never mind onwards and upwards
  • Oz - the physio bit was very poor and not something I endorse.

Roo - yours is the better team already, one day cricket has ruined our batsmen, but how on earth did you lose that match?

PS Strauss is no Vaughany.
  • How did we lose? KP is a twat. No Warne, No McGrath, Mitchell every which way but straight and a dead pitch to ensure the promoters got 5 days in. KP is a twat. Let's hope Lords has a tinge of green about the wicket. KP is a twat. True, One day and T20 is ruining test cricket, especially batting. KP is a twat. Collingwood saved you guys. KP is a twat. He showed patience and also I believe Keven P is a twat.
  • Yes, but he's our twat.
  • Originally posted by SuperRoo
    How did we lose? KP is a twat. No Warne, No McGrath, Mitchell every which way but straight and a dead pitch to ensure the promoters got 5 days in. KP is a twat. Let's hope Lords has a tinge of green about the wicket. KP is a twat. True, One day and T20 is ruining test cricket, especially batting. KP is a twat. Collingwood saved you guys. KP is a twat. He showed patience and also I believe Keven P is a twat.
    What was the point you were trying to make Roo?:D
  • Viges, you're right, Strauss in no Vaughan.

Strauss is being reported here as saying that the late chanegs of gloves was bought about due to the batsman spilling drink on his gloves during the drinks break!!! What the???

How did he carry on for nearly an hour before realising he needed to change them 10 minutes before stumps and with nor more than two overs left???

Collingwood was mega. 6 hours at the crease. Good work son. That's how you save a test.
  • OK Guys

Predictions on the Lords Test

Can Australia Hang on .. . . Will it rain . . . will the Pommy's win for the first time in 70 odd years - all will be revealed tonight!

My thoughts - Unfortunately, we will go down . . . . and Im not talking about anything Warney does either!
  • The first hour is the key. Haddin and Clarke need to see off the new ball and hopefully Johnson can make an impact with the bat.

Hope like it doesn't rain, if we're to lose it then let it be so. But not a draw because of rain, that doesn't work for me. We either win it beacuse we're good enough, or we lose it because we were outplayed. Not interested ina draw at Lord's.
  • Well, well, well.

A very exciting Test with two evenly-matched teams.

A 1-0 lead is excellent for us because I'm sure there'll be more draws - neither attack is anything like as good as previous teams.
  • Too bad Mitch isn't bowling as well as he is batting. Why on earth is Stuart Clark not playing?
    The bowling is very ordinary. I'm not sure if the patches are doctored to ensure that we get to the fifth day,
    but it seems the bowlers have a small window where they can get the ball to move then it's just a struggle.
  • Johnson has got the yips. They must play him in the tour match later this week to see if he can sort himself out.
  • KP is out for the rest of the series thanks to his achilles. Freddie is always on the verge of a physical breakdown.

Could this be payback for Australia's 'McGrath moment' of 2005? (when England were also 1-0 in the series).
  • Don't worry - we will win the series - with or without all your foreign imports! :)

And without our media reporters giving your team Swine Flu - which seems to be taking hold.