Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Superfund Wurz F1

According to the Autosport website Alex Wurz has lodged an f1 entry with his friend the guy who owns Superfund backing him.

Interesting this one no doubt he'll have the contacts from the teams he drove for but I think he wants to model the team on Red Bull rather than Williams. i.e. using the team as a promotional tool instead of a engineering and developement business.

Personally I feel there are more qualified candidates (eg. Lola Prodrive) but if the money and infrastructure is there then there's no reason why they can't do well.

Comments

• Of the entries I felt this one came out of the blue. Lola, Prodrive, Campos, USGPE, and Superfund, five teams and only three spots, it will be interesting to see which get the spots. I personally think Prodrive, Lola, and USGPE will make it in, as long as no one remembers Lola's '97 attempt.
  • According to the ratings given to each candidate in last weeks autosport.

USGPE and Campos Meta (using Dallara chassis) both got 4 out of 5
    Prodrive and Lola got 3 out of 5

RML also got three out of 5 but have not submitted a bid before the deadline.

Litespeed F1 got 2 out of 5.

I think Epsilon Euskadi also got 3 but its gone really quiet from them recently.

Therefore I think Campos and USGPE are in and its one from three between Lola, prodrive and Superfund.

Oh I forgot iSport and Formtech (a company using the assets and some staff of Super Aguri) as well but I'm not sure if they lodged an entry I think they were given two or three out of five each.

Hopefully this weeks autosport will have a full list of parties who have lodged entries.

[Edited on 1-6-09 by steamdrivenhammer]
  • According this article from F1live

F1live article

March could return to F1. The guy who ran the team in 92-93 still owns the rights to the name and has lodged an entry. I think it is one of the outsiders for an entry but who knows!!
  • oh this is getting ridiculous!
  • According to the head of Epsilon Euskadi they have lodged an entry and the have the finances in place for four years as well as 75 current staff a wind tunnell and the majority of the rest of the infrastructure required.

No doubt the powers that be will pick the three best candidates ;). But predicting who the three teams will be is nearly impossible.
  • Add N-Technology to the list.
  • Also add N-sync & NCOTB. Wow this getting serious...
  • Litespeed have aquired the rights to the Lotus name from James Hunt's brother. Therefore they're gonna be racing under the Team Lotus banner and are going to be based in the old Bentley Le Mans base in Norfolk.
  • According to the list just published on Autosport.com
    the new entrants are

Campos Grand Prix
    Team USF1
    And Manor Grand Prix :o

the last one came from out of left field but its a colaboration between John Booth boss of Manor Motorsport and Nick Wirth him from Simtek.

Bet Prodrive and Lola are gutted.

Of course there are several provisional entries on the list so other teams may get a look in.
  • On motorsport-total.com I read that, if Superfund will not be allowed to enter F1 next year they will defintely make a own series...

so one more formula-series. I like formula but to much is to much: F1,GP2,A1GP,GP2Asia,IRL,Superleague Formula,F3, Formula Renault,Formula BMW, Formula ADAC, Indy Lights,...
  • I'm surprised one of the rejected teams doesn't put in a cheeky bid for Toro Rosso.

Mr Mateschitz (spelling?) has said one of the reasons he hasn't made his entry unconditional is over doubts regarding owners having more than one team and therefore sharing technology between them.

To me it would maje sense for Superfund to put a bid in for Toro Rosso, use Red Bull as their mentors (a idea proposed by FOTA to help the new teams who come in)and then slowly build up the infrastructure. Ok the team may eventually move to Austria (the hub of world motorsport obviously) but it may keep Mr Mateschitz involved.
  • Lola have withdrawn their entry.
  • And N technology have confirmed they've withdrawn their entry.

There dropping like flies at the minute. If this breakaway does happen then there'll be no-one left to fill the void.