Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Lotus is Back

The FIA have announced that a Malaysian consortium have won the 13th Entry. They are using the Lotus name.

Autosport Article

The above article also says that BMW-Sauber or the 14th Standby entry incase another team pulls out *cough*Renault*cough*

Comments

• Marvellous news - it was such a sad, fizzle out end to their time in F1. Gascoyne is behind this.
  • I agree Viges, you know you're in trouble when you have to hire Phillipe Adams.
  • let me guess, Al Melling will design the engine and Master Card will be the main sponsor.
  • oh no... that was Lo-la ;-)
  • This put a HUGE smile on my face, even if it won't be the same as the old days.

I wonder if Mr Hunt sold out as he was 'fart arsing around' waiting for a big payout?
  • The way I understand it is that Litespeed the British F3 team had bought the rights to the Lotus name with the help of Pitbull Gascoyne.

Therefore I assume the Malaysian consortium has either bought the rights off litespeed or have joined forces with them.

Of course considering Proton are one of the consortium members. They could use their rights to the Lotus name, Hence why the team name is slightly different from the previous time the Lotus name was in F1.
  • No! No! And again no! 1000 times no!
    The Lotus name is linked forever to Colin Chapman, Jim Clark, Graham Hill, Jochen Rindt, Fittipaldi, Peterson, Andretti, Mansell, De Angelis, Senna.....

Do you guys remember how ridiculous and deminutive Lotus was in 1990-94? No, the name must not return with a poor team.

Very strange, however, I remember that after the Lola affair in 1997, in 1999 Mosley enacted a FIA rule whereby no other team would have been enabled to compete with the names Lotus, Brabham, Tyrrell, Lola and March.
  • Good article in this weeks Autosport about the team setup. The Air Asia guy Fernandes said he wanted to step down soon but has changed his mind.

Rumours are that Villeneuve will be confirmed shortly. Not sure thats a good signing but with the return of the Canadian GP it will help the crowds there.
  • Our Alex is working for Lotus - hope it goes well for him!!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80446
  • was already wondering whether he would join in!
  • According to Autosport.com Villeneuve is not in the frame for a race seat with Lotus. Trulli, Fauzy (although a test drive is more realistic) and two un-named drivers are. Lotus are hoping to announce there line-up next week.
  • Tony Fernandes confirmed on his Twitter page that the two drivers will be announced on Monday.
    One will almost certainly be Trulli, who already worked with Mike Gascoyne.
    The other might be either Sato or Kovalainen, apparently.
    But I'm still not ready to bet this team will be in Manama in March 2010.

UPDATE UPDATE It's Trulli-Kovy. IF the team will be in Manama next March.......

[Edited on 14-12-09 by manlio27]
  • It's now been confirmed the 2010 Lotus drivers are

Legohead

and

The Train Driver

(thats Kovalainen and Trulli to the uninitiated)

Fairuz Fauzy will be test and reserve driver. Apparently Sato was in the frame for a drive but Lotus chose Legohead instead.