Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

No smoking law!

Guys, after more or less one month of no smoking in pubs, bars and discos in Italy the conclusion has to be that this is the best law since "Thou shall not kill".

I don't know how many of you smoke in here but going out has a whole new quality when you don't come home at night feeling like a smoked salmon, having to immediately wash your hair and your clothes because they stink so badly. Even some of my friends who smoke think so because now they smoke less.

I demand the world wide implementation of this law NOW! Well done Berlusconi!

Comments

• Scotland will ban smoking in pubs etc in Spring 2006 they say, but the sooner the better. Ireland has already done this.
  • We have already done this in Malta - for once we are at the forefront and not at the very last......

eg, divorce is still illegal in Malta - it is the only place in the world apart from Philippines if I am not mistaken and... the Vatican City (I think)....

• The law is probably good because, when I go back to Italy, I will not go any longer to pubs and restaurants, so I will avoid getting fat with beer, I will avoid eating shit and I'll save lots of money for travelling.

A beer without a cigarette loses half of the pleasure.

And I like smoking.
  • This law came into force in Ireland and people were saying it would be the nail in the Pubs coffin. Not even close it's great to be in a Pub without the stench of smoke and the Pubs are doing fine. Its a great Law!:hehe:
  • I love public smoking laws. California was doing it before it was hip. Texas still hasn't..
  • A beer without a cigarette loses half of the pleasure.
    And I like smoking
    I used to think the same.
    But now you go to a pub and you can breath. It's beutiful.

Unbelievable, Silvio's government did ONE GOOD THING:o!!
  • Two reasons why I don't go out in Birmingham :

1) It's Birmingham and the thought of getting stabbed, shot, verbally abused or punched ain;t my cup of tea really.

2) I HATE stinking of smoke in pubs. People who smoke don't smell it cos they smoke and smell it all the time. I am not willing to go in a pub and smell my coat the enxt day and it smells of tobacco.
    The excuse smokers are using here in the Uk against a possible ban makes me laugh. they say 'Well they don't have to go into a pub if they don't like it'....

Er I'm sorry mate, who gave you the god given right to smoke in pubs anyway? Non-smokers can also say 'You don't have to come in a pub if you don;t like it,' the difference being that non-smokers won't damage your health and make you stink of tobacco if you do!!!
    I think people would be very surprised what would happen if they banned smoking. The lure of alcohol would be too great to stop people frequenting pubs. You'd also get people who don't like stinking like an ashtray coming back to pubs and clubs...........Me for one am too scared of the injuries associated with going out so will stay indoors and play on the PC or sleep!!
  • We have had the law in place for a few months now and going out has never been better.

This is coming from a smoker, by the way.
  • Matt, getting attacked in Brum isn't general, that's specific to you. Or it should be.

Secondly, in the name of God, take that photo off the website.

PS I hate smelling of smoke too but this is not an issue for government - voluntary smoke free pubs in London do roaring business but, if people really want to sit in a smoky atmosphere, that's up to them. Let the market decide.
  • Fock you all :angel:
  • I agree with viges, I dont think that you can get any more central Birmingham than where I live. I go out often and have never been abused ar beaten up at all!!!!!

Just you then ;);)
  • I love public smoking laws. California was doing it before it was hip. Texas still hasn't..
    Most we have in Texas is not smoking 25 or so feet from a buildings entrance, but I've never seen it enforced. Can't wait till public smoking laws catch on here.
  • magrginalise, marginalise, marginalise.

It's all about control, nothing else.

As Viges says, why can't there be smoking, and non-smoking venues, huh? Cause smoking has eff-all to do with it, that's why.

When smokers were in the majority you could smoke anywhere. Now they're in the minority, you can't smoke anywhere. Both are wrong.

• [quote]I love public smoking laws. California was doing it before it was hip. Texas still hasn't..
    Most we have in Texas is not smoking 25 or so feet from a buildings entrance, but I've never seen it enforced. Can't wait till public smoking laws catch on here. [/quote]

I was at a comedy club for a couple of hours the other night and I left the place with a horrendous headache. Got home and showered, hair smelled of it. Got out and realised that my clothes stunk so bad that the entire room smelled. ugh.
  • I'm a non-smoker.
    Otherwise I think I'm a reasonably tolerant guy.

However, I dislike smoking intensely, and remember the bad old times when you could have your meal or drink completely spoilt by a smoker nearby.

My car, house and office are also strictly "non-smoking".

It's still bad enough when you find the men's room is polluted by a smoker having a quiet puff in a stall. Or you have to run the gauntlet of the smoking pariahs clustered around the building exit. But usually, my feeling of temporary personal discomfort is less than my sadness for the people involved who seem unable to avoid the damage they're doing to themselves.

I think of the three evils: cell-phones, alcohol and tobacco, cigaerettes will finally lose out. With only two hands, the cell phone, drink and finger food is enough of a challenge without trying to hold an incendiary device as well.

Maybe someone will invent a puff machine where the addicted can inhale and exhale through tubes where the deadly fumes and smouldering ashes are kept away from our "clean air".

Which reminds me that there is still the problem of several smokers getting into your lift (that's an elevator Emmet!) and reeking their topped up lungs, clothers and hair all over us clean people. Can we please get detox units for smokers to go through before re-joining clean society.

;)

[Edited on 5/2/2005 by Dr_Spin]
  • magrginalise, marginalise, marginalise.

It's all about control, nothing else.

As Viges says, why can't there be smoking, and non-smoking venues, huh? Cause smoking has eff-all to do with it, that's why.

When smokers were in the majority you could smoke anywhere. Now they're in the minority, you can't smoke anywhere. Both are wrong.
    Oh please, let's leave big brother out of it. in stark contrast to anglosaxon countries, smokers in Italy are actually in the majority and one single no smoking bar would be as popular as women's rugby.

I just can't imagine what success a non smoking venue in Innsbruck would have, it would have to shut down after a couple of days with the only ever visitor being our "beloved" female major.

No guys, sometimes people have to be "guided" in their decision.
  • sometimes people have to be "guided" in their decision
    Wich kind of people are you in touch with in Italy, Rj?
  • nonono please, let's not jump conclusions here

it's more this guy I'm talking about

I'm speaking about "Volonté Générale"
    Whoever refuses to obey the general will shall be forced to obey it by the whole body politic, which means nothing else but that he will be forced to be free.
  • Whoever refuses to obey the general will shall be forced to obey it by the whole body politic, which means nothing else but that he will be forced to be free.
    As long as he is not
    In that case the general law must be changed.

:angel:
  • The only thing Berlusca and I agree this far. Nice. I hope smokers learn to cope with this and let non-smokers enjoy healthier lives.
  • The best way to enjoy cleaner air would be to stop driving your car.

After that, you can go through about fifty other major air pollution causes that are directly affecting health before you get to passive smoking.

Nah, then you'd all have to accept some culpability, wouldn't you?

Bastard smokers...........killing everyone............bastards....
  • I've never seen anyone drive a car in a pub or any other closed room though, Lease
  • MMMM smoking
    Theres a subject I'm trying to give up at the moment:(

Im with manlio27
    A beer without a cigarette loses half of the pleasure.
    but at the same time, I rather not expose my young son to the risks of passive smoking. If there were some non smoking pubs (or no smoking areas) at least I could still enjoy half of the pleasure!!
  • RJ, that's all fine. If your racial stereotyping is correct (100wpm?) can you please just leave the grown-up Anglo-Saxons out of plans which are worse than nannying, they are illiberal.

People should have choice - if the market is there for smoke-free pubs and bars (and it is) then they will succeed.

Big Government has a catastrophic and insidious effect on the ability of people to take responsibility for ANY of their actions. Everything becomes the fault of 'the government' or someone else. If you treat people like children they will behave like children.

"The liberty of the individual must be thus far limited; he must not make himself a nuisance to other people" (JS Mill).
  • well, I'd say the Mill quote is in favour of my line of argumentation but never mind ;)

it also has very little to do with the nanny state I'd say. If people next to me were doing coke I couldn't care less as long as it doesn't involve me. However if my clothes start to stink (and I'm not even talking about the health risk as I find the former far more irritating) because someone else wants to have a fag than he or she should have the courtesy to smoke outside. Am I being completely irrational here?
  • RJ, you are fundamentally illiberal which is why you look at the Mill quote in the way you do. If there are voluntary smoke free pubs and bars then who is causing the nuisance? Could it be the petty bureaucrats?

Of course you and I shouldn't have to put up with someone smoking on the next table but leave them to it. It has nothing to do with you or government. Smoking bars/restaurants will become decreasingly popular.
  • I've never seen anyone drive a car in a pub or any other closed room though, Lease
    Sure, but last week I saw on Dutch television a program about ‘dirty cars’. Do you know that our lives are shortened by 9-12 months because of the pollution of cars? The irony is that when you don’t drive a car and use a bicycle you are even getting poisoned to a greater extinct because you inhale more !! Every month there are 10.000 more cars. What gives them the right to make me sick???
  • please, this debate is getting silly. the use of the automobile industry shouldn't be up for discussion on a motor sport Web site.
  • ^ You've got to be kidding me :rolleyes:
    You're the one that started a thread about the tobacco industry on a Formula 1 website :P
  • Until Minardi gets manufacturer support I say we slag 'em off.