Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

RIP John Surtees

Another legend leaves us. 83 years old, at St. George's Hospital in London, surrounded by his wife and two daughters.
7 time motorbike champion between 1956 and 1960 (had he stayed there, he would have wn as much as Hailwood, Agostini, Rossi) and F1 world Champion with Ferrari in 1964, taking advantage of Hill and Clark's inconsistency. Also started his own team, although with less success than Brabham and Mc Laren.
He survived many friends, but tragedy struck in 2009 when his son Henry was killed in a F2 event at Brandts Hatch, his head being hit by the flying wheel detached from another car that had spun ahead of him, similarly to what happened a few years later to our Justin Wilson.

RIP John, hero of the two and of the four wheels.

Comments

• He made a huge impact on the sport. Didn't deserve what happened to his son. I often wonder how it is that a lot of racers can excel on 2 or 4 wheels. Such different disciplines - even muscle groups - involved. Vale.
  • Another Legend gone. Sadly missed. Vale John Surtees