Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Italy FAQ

Salvo (and others) I have a question or two and I'm sure that others might as well.

I'm putting together my budget and I'm trying to figure an average per day figure. How many euros can I expect to spend on food, eating out for every meal? Train trips? I count 5 round trips assuming that we limit ourselves to Faenza and then 4 days at Imola.

Comments

• How much you spend on food is entirely up to you. If you can live of a €1.50 slice of Pizza a day, from a dodgy Turkish shop then that's what you will spend.

Going for a meal in Italy can be quite expensive because all side dishes are extra and you actually have to pay for sitting down (coperto they call it)

the 'merican way

www.mcdonalds.it (average meal, McChicken, BigMac etc will cost you 6 something) McDonalds being the only fast food chain in Italy, and honestly it would be a shame.

train prices

www.trenitalia.it

faenza: 2.90 one way
    imola: 2.50 one way
  • Danke. I guess Quigs and I will have to figure out a meal budget together, or something.

Banks. I was thinking about opening an account just for the trip, but I'd have to find a bank that has branches in Italy. What Yank banks have a good number of branches over there, if any?
  • If you have a credit card, a Visa, you can use "bancomat" here in Italy (the bank machine to get money) everywhere.

Food. Well, for lunch you can eat some pizza or other simple things, they're not too expensive.
    For dinner I hope that we're going out all together when I'll be there. We can have piuzza, but if we go to a restaurant it's quite expansive, it mainly depends on wine. Wine is expensive, it makes the bill goes upper and upper.

A dinner in an average restaurant (not a luxury one) , having antipasto, pasta and secondo (meat or fish) plus wine can cost 30 euros, but also much more, it depends on wich wine you have. We'll try to have good but not too expansive wine, many sicilian ones are great.
  • Banks. I was thinking about opening an account just for the trip, but I'd have to find a bank that has branches in Italy. What Yank banks have a good number of branches over there, if any?
    none, Italy and banking is a whole new story. :rolleyes:

plenty of ATMs around though. I haven't got a clue which cards are around in the us but if you have cirrus, meastro or visa electron you should be fine.
    otherwise all major credit cards are excepted (Visa, Master, Amex and to a lesser extent Diners. Don't take a Discover Card, not accepted anywhere)
  • Thanks guys, that should have me covered for a while. :)
  • remember to take your photo camera so that we unlucky ones can see your photos!
  • Budget? Only going to and from Faenza? Boy, we are going to be in Italy! We are gonna have a great time and you are going to see other places and things as time allows or you'll be pissed later on.

Don't worry - you can go pretty cheaply but I draw the line at dodgy Turkish food joints.

Remember too gang that we are covering our guests meal on the Tuesday event. We can't have GCM etc paying for a dinner WE invited them to.

FORZA
  • Sorry master! :(
  • On Wednesday the 20th...the Murphy's and The Irish Brigade are visiting Venice....are ya going to be our guide, Emmo???????????
  • Another chance to go to Venice? Sounds good to me - we just have to make sure that no other Minardi adventures happen that day - Venice is an amazing place and should not be missed.

Any info on trains times, cost etc etc from Bologna?

[Edited on 19/2/2005 by MCSF]
  • how often do I have to post this link :rolleyes::hehe::hehe:

http://www.trenitalia.it

• No RJ - I want the others to do the looking/planning etc and then all I have to do is show up. That how the president game is played.

Delegation son, delegation.

Get to work you people!
  • Venice is an amazing place!!!

I think i shall be there!