Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

where do americans learn to fire?

Did any of you read of the incredible story happened in Iraq?

Our secert services liberated the italian reporter Giuliana Sgrena, who had been kidnapped one month ago

On the way to Bagdad's airport, Us soldiers at a check point fired against their car.

The chief of the secret services team died, the hostage and other 2 people wounded.

Bush apologized to Berlusconi.

We al are very shocked here.

Comments

• Shoot first, make excuses later.
  • Slavo - sorry to hear that but without more details I don't want to put the blame on my fellow countrymen.

What I heard is that the Italian Intel people were driving very fast towards the checkpoint, warning shots were fired and they did not stop so our guys opened up on them.

It is a bad ending to a bad situation for that poor woman.
  • the woman is fine, the intelligence man died.

Weird.
  • Yes, but I heard she got shot in the shoulder, another intel guy was wounded as well.

You also have to remember the madmen with the car bombs etc etc - it was in the middle of the night and the US troops are not keen on getting blown up by t's..
  • unfortunately that's war
  • Very tragic story :(

I heard it last night in a taxi-radio when i drove home from a party. My good mood left me immediately.
  • I just read in the newspaper that it was maybe no accident. The public prosecutor's office is investigating in case of murder. Sgrena said that one of the kidnapper told her that there are americans which don't want her to come back alive.

• I can't believe this stupid story about the american ambush.
    Not because the americans couldn't do such a thing. But simply because if they had wanted to, Sgrena wouldn't have survived.

It was an accident, americans in Iraq fire on everything that moves.
    They killed 7 iraqi civilians only in the last week in this kind of accidents.

Very dramatic.

But I'm sure the Us government will do something to the idiots who made that.
    If they were privates, they'll become seargents.

When a son of a b. killed 20 people on his american airplane in Cermis (Italy), in 1996, Us didn't do anything to that bastard.
    Why should they do it now???

This is the kind of shit that make people round the world hate America.
    And it's a shame for such a great country.
  • I did not say that I buy this story. But I agree with you in everything you wrote, especially in the last point.
    This is the kind of shit that make people round the world hate America.
    And it's a shame for such a great country.
    And it's also a shame that guys like Michael Moore earn money with this storys.
  • Salvo - turns out she is a commie troublemaker. Our guys should be jailed for poor marksmanship - hitting a good guy instead of HER!
  • Now before you guys get all worked up lets look at a few facts.

1. The soldiers at the checkpoint were not Delta Force but probably some REMF's

2. It was late and dark

3. They are scared of roadside bombs and homocide bombers

4. No one knew that the Italian journo had been released - except the italians

5. The italians were doing the secret squirrel angle - driving quickly and stopping for no one - because they know that they bad guys are out there.

6. They trust no on but italians at this point - and for good reason

So all of this talk that it was a hit on this commie rabble rouser is just pure bullshit. She is nothing more than a speck on the dust bin of history - just like the rest of us.
  • Well said Homer.
    Quig, try to control yourself:spank::hehe::hehe:
  • 4. No one knew that the Italian journo had been released - except the italians

Unfortunately for Uncle Sam's nephews, that's not true.
    There were two american officers at the airport waiting for Sgrena and the intelligence men.
    Americans did know.
    They were the ones to miss comunication, it seems.
  • Sorry Salvo - what I have read does not cover that info.
  • yes, it is on Il corriere della sera of today, you'll read it tomorrow.
    anyway, after Cermis 1996, I don't expect nothing from american justice
  • And it's also a shame that guys like Michael Moore earn money with these stories.
    aa-men

:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:
  • Yes the Marine aviators who were hot dogging up that ski valley got off too eay. However, my point was that the soldiers at the checkpoint did not know that the Italians were coming. Why? Well if that was part of the plan the guy who failed to pass that info along should do some time and or lose rank and pay etc etc as a life was lost.

Sean Hannity - what a complete fool drunk on Republican kool aid constantly!
  • They are scared of roadside bombs and homocide bombers
    HOMOcide???:hehe:
  • I won't comment on Iraq (most of you know my take on it), but heres an interesting article on checkpoints, by a US reporter:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0307/p01s04-woiq.html

Something to think about.

• What a mess!

I am very sorry for the Italian secret agent and also for the Italian journalist who not only was kidnapped etc, but had such a narrow and traumatic escape.

And this is all because of lack of communications!

The men responsible should pay up!
  • there are lots of strange things in this story... anyway, amen, may the man rest in peace, his funeral today was really a strong emotion for Italy.
  • homocide bombers
    that's a gay suicide bomber :hehe:

seriously though, HOMIcide bombers is FOXNEWS's new term for suicide bombers, and quig seems to have adapted to it quite smoothly.

I don't know what a roadside bomb is then. A "gotyourassafterallandmineremainsunscathed-icide" bomber
  • Wash times is reporting a different angle -

http://www.washtimes.com/world/20050307-120131-5769r.htm

Salvo - is La Stampa right/center left. Agenda?
  • Yes, these news are on today's newspapers.

La Stampa is the Agnelli family's newspaper, it's quiet conservative, but not too close to Berlusconi.

Anyway, also a left winged newspaper like La Repubblica today wrote such a thing.

I think that if this is true, I mean, if Italian intelligence prefers to work "without informing American colleagues in Iraq who, if they had known about this, would have had to oppose it, to have impeded the operation,", well, impeding our services'operation is a very strange way to be allied....

Very good article. And very useful to understand the italian feeling about the story, especially that part
    "In the past, the Italian left detested the security services, notorious for skulduggery and links to the neo-fascist right....."

Military secret services have always been felt by italians, especially left winged italians, as something dirty, since they do have a dirty past. But yesterday the leader of communist party said that "men like Calipari make us change our mind about our intelligence", that was historical
  • The biggest problem is the potential for a rift between our countries. Italy has been a good friend and it would be a shame to lose them over a miscommunication like this.
  • don't you worry, it won't last long
  • You're worried about a POSSIBLE rift between Italy and the US? That's sort of like saying Iran was our friend in 1978.

Salvo, what would you estimate conservatively the pro vs. con percentages of your countries involvement in Iraq? 80/20 con is my guess. There already IS a rift whether or not the Italian government chooses to recognize it.

The details of incidents like this are always cloudy but the irony of the situation is what's causing the outrage because the mission was bankrupt to begin with so every issue such as this will circle back the the 'What are we doing there again' question. Had something like this happened in early 2002 in Afghanistan or 1991 in Iraq do you think the reaction would be different? Certainly so.
  • This is another point. And it's important. After all, Italy's attitude towards the iraqi crisis was different form Britain's.
    We didn't fight, we went there after, theorically to keep peace, but unfortunately peace wasn't there at all and our soldiers had been killed in Nassisiya.
    The large majority of italians (80-90%) were against the war, and many people want our soldiers back...

Anyway, this tragedy focused italians'attention on something else, the relationship between our country and Usa.

And, in fact, many politicians asked a "Sigonella like" reaction from Berlusconi.

For those who don't know that story, the day that italian carabinieri and Delta Force were about to fight:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A731701
  • This story of the reporter is shameful and pathetic for US people. However, they did voted for this to carry on last year.
    Italians are different. They should've put Berlusca down like we spaniards did with Aznar. He may now go eat barbecue with his friend Bush in Texas, but he doesn't represent his nation any more. You have to turn down this fascist thief and get your soldiers back. You know there's no peace to maintain now Salvo.
  • very well said, Yoko!