Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

"restricted" V10 for 2006

I suppose this means we will also race the PS05 next season!!

From Crash.net:
Cosworth Racing boss Kevin Kalkhoven is said to be furious with the way his company has been usurped as Red Bull's engine supplier for next season.

Kalkhoven and his board of directors flew by private jet to Imola to discuss the future with the team management, only to arrive on Saturday to find the paddock buzzing with the news that the team would be linking up with Ferrari from 2006. The agreement had been announced in press releases from both the team and the manufacturer issued just as first qualifying kicked off at the Italian circuit.

While Cosworth knew that its deal was for one year, and that the team was considering alternatives, the company is angry at the way it has been treated. The Cosworth people were flabbergasted, as they had specifically asked the team whether the trip would be worthwhile.

The Alex Shnaider-owned Midland team had previously held an option with Ferrari, but that expired on 31 March. It's thought that the price was deemed to be too high relative to what Toyota has been charging.

Inevitably the Red Bull/Ferrari deal has led to speculation about the team's recent attendance at an FIA meeting boycotted by the other ‘group of nine' teams - with the exception of Midland. It's also been suggested that Max Mosley and Red Bull boss Dietrich Mateschitz are close friends, with one paddock cynic claiming that the Ferrari deal was done ‘between Max and Mateschitz on the ski slopes two weeks ago'!

Ironically, the latest Cosworth V10 has performed far better than its recent predecessors, scoring points in every race so far this season. Cosworth already has a 2006-spec V8 on the drawing board, but at the moment it has no customers. Paul Stoddart confirmed on Friday evening that he is committed to a restricted V10 – the ‘cheap' alternative for next season – which leaves just Jordan/Midland and Sauber as potential homes for the new engine. Sauber is almost certain to join forces with BMW, so Midland is the only realistic option, should it not continue with Toyota. The team is due to meet with Cosworth this weekend.

Comments

• Self relegated to Division 2 in 2006 already, with the current car, the cheapest second hand engines Stoddart can source, and the richest drivers around who will lower themselves to drive for us.

On ITV they did a pre-race feature on Stoddart's business empire - said a lot about his approach to the F1 business. Dealmaking and the main chance. He's been focussed on 2008 for some time (and it is true that the current setup will never work for non manufacturers), but unlike Dennis and Co he doesn't have a team with the commercial stability or strength in depth to do that and still go on as normal. Nor does he have the status to survive being on the losing side.
  • Well, I guess we knew there wasn't going to be a new car. :spank:
  • This is a joke right? Why Can't Stoddart afford the Cosworth V8?
    I think from what is said we can right off this season as well, the team will not find the performance gain Stoddart's claiming. Nor we will be signing any main sponsor. This is an absolute downer!
  • Saw the piece on Ledbury BTW. Lots of second hand spares. Looked pretty tired as well. But the piece demonstrated that this site is basically a storage centre without any manufacturing capability. Its evidence that Stoddart does not have the resources to fund or run an F1 team.
  • Thats all Ledbury is a storage facility for his spares business, The only car related activities are the two seaters but they were all in different team liveries. All F1 related activities now only take place at Faenza.

As for saying why cant Stoddart afford Cosworth V8's, why would Cosworth want to produce an engine for the team on the back of the grid it doesnt make economic sense. It looks unlikely that the V8 will come to fruition if we are the only team needing it.

It would be nice to have a Renault power plant but it seems unlikely in the current political climate.

As for down rated V10 it would be better with the new engine than what we have used in the past, Ford Zetecs for 4 years!
  • If Minardi is the only F1 customer next year and they've already developed the V8, why wouldn't Kalkhoven just discontinue the V10's? It would make business sense. Come to think of it it makes sense even if there are other customers. I for one am getting sick of crap like this. It shouldn't even be a consideration.
  • I didn't even know that a detuned V10 was an option for next year! I thought V8's for everyone.

I guess Stoddart just blew his budget on getting the new car ready. I wonder if the cost of adapting the PS05 to accept a V8 is too great, and a new car would have to be developed. Just thinking out loud.

We need money or this downward spiral will never end...
  • BOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • A V10 next year is not even going to be remotely competitive. Why? cos a V8 is smaller, lighter, requires less cooling, has got better tractaability and allows one to design a more integrated rear end.
    I agree with DST Cosworth should just stop supply of the V10.
    I doubt Renault or Toyota will supply 2 teams in the first year of a new formula.
  • Oh dear.

We have a dilemma. Stoddie has taken the team as far as he can (and I thank him) but if it is sold it will no longer be Minardi. What do you choose?

This is why I suggested a front page poll on 'do you think Stoddie should sell?' I think it would be close (assuming people voted once).
  • I think it would be close (assuming people voted once).
    Could work now that Matt's gone !!!!!!:hehe:
  • Max needs to wake up. This will never work. Who's to say how far to limit the engine? Wanker.
  • They did it before, with the turbos versus atmos. And it was a daft idea then too.

As to Stoddart selling, well it rather depends who to. Someone like Mateschitz looking for something PR led would be a disaster, a manufacturer would be a disaster (and why would they be interested?), and that only leaves crazy billionaires. What he needs is a strong sponsor business as partner, prepared to invest long term in return for an equity stake. I dream of Agip doing a Petronas, but it'll never happen. Nothing will happen until Concorde is sorted, who but a fool would buy in before that?
  • Stoddart needs a fellow entrepeneur/industrialist to invest in the team as a partner. Share the outlay and the risk. Its as simple as that.
  • If we can't attract a medium-sized sponsor for the new car then I'm worried. We certainly won't be getting any more cheques from Uncle Bernard.
  • Uncle Ron won't be keen to do as Bernard did either.
  • There is also Uncle Sam, but I guess he spends all his money on another hobby: playing soldier...........
  • Cosworth's V8 target is 900bhp at 20 000 rpm. They've already hit 20 k on the dyno. It sounds like a very, very very good engine.