Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Basic Design Principles

There was a very interesting article in a 1999 edition of Formula 1 News. In an interview Gustav Brunner was asked what were the performnce targets when designing a car for Minardi.
His reply demonstrated a very logical thought process. In short he analysed where a top 10 finish would place you with respect to the leading runner after a race. On average it was one lap down. At the outside it could be as much as 2 laps, but that required outside influences like a wet race or the use of the safety car.
To achieve that goal requires a car that is capable of running 2 - 3 s within the leading Bridgestone runner. Note I have said Bridgestone as opposed to Michelin, as the fluctuation in tyre performance will produce some differences.
So in short Minardi's PS05 needs to be within 3s of TOIT. At present we are outside that parameter. Yes, the team made some progress yesterday, but it looks like performance gains are already tailing off.

Comments

• Yes, the team made some progress yesterday, but it looks like performance gains are already tailing off.
    And you can pick that after 1/4 of a race and two testing sessions of which we crashed in one and shoke down in the other?

I usually agree with all you say, but not this. I am giving the new chassis 4-5 months to get right. Maybe I am too generous?
  • I suggest we don't make any comments untill we see what times today's testsession brings.
    This evening we can evaluate a bit more !!!:)
  • yep. Lets hope the cars aren't attracted to each other again.
  • The Minardi's are like magnets !!!!;)
  • Wasn't it just a safety crash test yesterday ??;)
  • The performance gains at Imola when the team had constructive running with both cars on Friday we're pretty damn good gaining around 1.5 secs per lap on each car after a base set up was established. What they lacked was reliable running from both cars for the rest of the weekend to build on this. Now all they need is some good testing milage to get to know the car and continue the development so that the performance gains don't tail off.