Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Albers breaking the speed limit ? ? ? ?

Shame Albers doesn't go as fast in a race as he did at the Parade

(GMM) Melbourne's F1 city parade in March has been slammed as unsafe and potentially fatal for thousands of keen spectators.

Despite the 80km/h speed limit, Melbourne's 'Herald Sun' newspaper clocked, for one, Christijan Albers' Minardi grand prix car at 200km/h.

And, despite the publication of a glowing council report, a road safety spokesman said 'experts' saw the installation of only plastic barriers as 'positively dangerous'.

Anthony Carey added: ''What we saw ... is considered by experts as possibly criminal negligence.

Comments

• well that's the risk of having such a parade isn't it?
  • Media beat-up if ever i've seen one.

All you need is to find a few whingers that want to hang their hat on 'road safety' and the media has an angle.

The public loved it, no one got hurt (except maybe a few ears), so what's the problem? :rolleyes:
  • I'm sorry but did Christijan even drive in that event.

As far as I know it was Paul Stoddart racing the Minardi?

Was anyone else there?
  • CA was driving, no doubt. He flew past me no more than 15 feet away. :D Bloody lovely, and yes P1 my ears did hurt.
  • lucky you oznomad. Would have given anything to see that.
  • I think from a safety perspective, there may have been a few issues.

I was talking to someone who used tyo work at the city of melbourne (who will remain nameless), who explained that they had plastic barricades between the cars and the spectators. those barricades were supposed to hold a couple of hundred litres of water, however... some weren't filled at all and others leaked. Esentially, they were merely pices of plastic.
  • Actually in Malaysia many years back, there's a bad racing accident in Shah Alam Racing Circuit where the car smashed into the chain link fencing killing some spectators including children as it is too near the track.

It is never too safe. Anything can happen.
  • Shame Albers doesn't go as fast in a race as he did at the Parade
    well, Albers was the fastest guy through the speed at Spain during qualifying...