Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

HEAVY DUTY PR FROM FAENZA

RACING THE FIA WAY

INDIANAPOLIS, UNITED STATES, June 19, 2005 – In view of the situation that took place at today’s United States Grand Prix, the Minardi F1 Team has the following comment only:

PAUL STODDART, Team Principal, Minardi Cosworth

“First of all, our sincere apologies go out to the race fans, both here at Indianapolis and indeed, around the world, for the farce that took place at Indianapolis this afternoon. This really was a time when Formula One needed to put sport above politics, but sadly, this did not occur. Earlier on today, nine of the 10 competing teams had agreed that, in the interests of safety, a temporary chicane needed to be placed before the final turn, and that unless that took place, the nine teams would not compete.

“This idea was rejected by FIA President, Max Mosley, and in no uncertain terms, the teams were told that, should this occur, there would be no race. This, in my opinion, is clearly not in the interests of the sport, the American public, or Formula One fans around the world.

“I have complete sympathy with the Michelin teams, and can take neither satisfaction from, nor interest in, this afternoon’s race, if you can call it that. For the avoidance of doubt, Minardi only participated when it became clear that Jordan had changed its decision to compete from this morning.

“I sincerely hope that valuable lessons are taken away from here today before we destroy the sport we love with politics. A solution, which would have allowed the United States Grand Prix to have proceeded unaffected today existed, but was resisted by the FIA and not supported by Ferrari, who claimed it was not their problem.”

- Ends -

Chassis allocation – 2005 United States Grand Prix

Friesacher (No 20) PS05/02

Albers (No 21) PS05/01

Spare car (Albers) PS05/03

I did not know Jordan and we were going to pull out!

Comments

• Note to all the "stoddiebashers":
    This is what he's been warning about for the last couple of years.
  • I'm starting to really like Stoddardt. Maybe not as a teamowner, but he should get Max' job. I think he is one of the few that would put the sport above politics.
  • And Jordan just disgust me. Too bad Minardi couldn't beat them today.
  • why do jordan disgust you?
  • Stoddart has shown that he is a first class team leader with principle. Jordanski have a lot to answer. I'm not covering for them but if EJ was at the helm the only cars willing to race would be TOIT.
    Man and I was so dissapointed when I couldn't get to Indy.
    Max & Bernie stand down now!

Forza Stoddart
    Forza Minardi

[Edited on 19/6/2005 by Ger]
  • now in all fairness. since when do tyre companies have a say in the lay out of the track. when minardi had problems with their rear wings at Barcelona in 2002 they didn't ask for a chicane to be installed on the main straight. when michael schumacher withdrew from the race because of repeated tyre failures earlier this season, he didn't ask for a new surface to be put on the track. The only one to blame in my opinion is Michelin and only Michelin. They came to Indy with the wrong tyres because they wanted to have an edge over bridgestone and they f'ed up big time. i would have thought it's quite simple
  • now in all fairness. since when do tyre companies have a say in the lay out of the track. when minardi had problems with their rear wings at Barcelona in 2002 they didn't ask for a chicane to be installed on the main straight. when michael schumacher withdrew from the race because of repeated tyre failures earlier this season, he didn't ask for a new surface to be put on the track. The only one to blame in my opinion is Michelin and only Michelin. They came to Indy with the wrong tyres because they wanted to have an edge over bridgestone and they f'ed up big time. i would have thought it's quite simple
    RJ do I take it that you think the Michelin cars should have raced regardless of the fact that the tires are deemed unsafe?
  • The difference is that a field of 18 cars will give you a race, while a field of 6 cars (with big differences in performance) will give no entertainment.

After all, F1 is supposed to deliver some entertainment, especially if it wants too get more popular in USA. This time F1 shot itself in the foot. I think the points could have been distributed as we saw today, but at the same time we could have had a race.
  • RJ's point about Barca is perfect. Michelin could have raced albeit at a reduced pace. But to ask for special dispensation is crap - like someone else said if B Stone had the same issue Ron Dennis and Pat Head would have given them the finger BIG TIME.

I don't like the way we got points but rules are rules.
  • That would never have worked, as the temptations to run a little bit faster than your competitor at turn 13 would have med it dangerous for the Michelin runners.

The best thing would have been a chichane, and no Michelin-runner will get the points they score. That would have given us the same points for Bridgestone runners and a race.
  • RJ's point about Barca is perfect. Michelin could have raced albeit at a reduced pace. But to ask for special dispensation is crap - like someone else said if B Stone had the same issue Ron Dennis and Pat Head would have given them the finger BIG TIME.

I don't like the way we got points but rules are rules.
    Emmett, RJ there was a problem which occured with Michelin and options were placed on the table to get a race. Do you seriously think any driver would raceat a reduced pace? I guess I have to just dissagree and say this farce of a race sucked and F1 is a very big looser. OK question will there be a US gp next year?

PS I agree with Benny

[Edited on 19/6/2005 by Ger]
  • Look - the problem is that they gambled on a tire that flat out did not work. What compenasation would you have given to the Teams that brought good equipment to the race? Would you have let them pick a better tire or had better B Stones flown in?

Will there be a USGP next year? Yes.

Will there be butts in seats?

Not sure
  • Paul Stoddart. "It is incredible and unbelievable that the FIA didn't want to come to a decent agreement and thus solution with the Michelin runners. This is terrible for the sport. The FIA doesn't give a sh*t about the sport itself, they only worry about their political game."
    I got to agree with the guy.
  • The race should have gone ahead with a chicane and the Michellin teams not able to score a point.

Same points outcome, but at least a specticle for the sport.
  • just my point, emmett, just my point
  • Goodbye Michelin.

Goodbye Indy.

I really don't care. As Quig says, you turn up to a race prepared or not. If your supplier can't hack it, tough.

Welcome to Big School.
  • As they say in Italian...Che Schifia! How disgusting.
    The letters of resignation of top FIA officials in fancy blue shirts better be put on table! F1 needs a change in course.

One msg to Tony George.....sue the shits out of Ecclestone ,Mosely and Company.

The biggest farce of seeing Ferrari, Bridgestone, FIA officials all taking this spectacle with a serious face.

The F1 elite once again proved that they are bunch of daisy pickers in the land of NASCAR, IRL and Champcar!!!!

As long as there are suckers like us who are willing to pay $65 for caps and $100 for Shirts, the FIA will continue to reign supreme.
    Sorry....those are my comments!

Phil
  • Well goodness gracious me!

Dear Michellin,
    You fucked up big time. You lost sight of the reason that you are in the sport by focussing too much on the goal. Good luck with your global sales.

Dear Bernie,
    That's twice in one year that you've lost the wheels off a Merc. How impotent you must feel, poor thing.

Dear TOIT,
    Consistency counts, and you guys are wonderfully consistent arseholes.

Dear FIA,
    You have been formally elected to the Beaurocrats hall of fame. Congratulations to Max Mosely on displacing Joseph Stalin's regime for unbending, blinding adherence to unrealistic rules.

Dear Stoddie,
    You told them, they lambasted you. When it counted, you were all class and dignity. A glass of champagne with you sir.

Dear RJ,
    Well captured my boy. Yes, Minardi has shown that as a team it is resilient, loyal, and gracious. If a break finally comes our way, we should not be embarrassed about it. The team competes and has had to see the performance of its new car blunted by crap tyres. But they weren't really crap tyres were they? It was the oppos that were pushing beyond reason. Seven points well earned.

Dear Bridgestone,
    Whilst my view of you as being a bunch of fucks has not changed, you do deserve some credit for maintaining the proper integrity of your tyres and not stooping to Michellin's levels of performance over safety, even after the wrning signs were there at Nurburgring.

FORZA MINARDI !!!
  • you turn up to a race prepared or not. If your supplier can't hack it, tough.

Welcome to Big School.
    Excellent and just screw everyone who pays to see the show!

To honestly equate 1 Ferrari or Minardi vs. 2/3rds of the grid missing the race is about as stupid an argument as I can think of. Scale matters.

That CART thing in Texas in 2001 was solely a drivers decision, they starting getting vertigo in the cars after about 40 minutes at 240 mph in about 120 degrees.
  • To add; Bernie should be refunding all tickets to every fan that came over for that race and offer free tickets to those spectators for next year.

The fans ore the most important part of this and they should be taken care of as a matter of principle.

He has the money and it would make up for at least some of the respect lost.
  • That was the most wasted 3.30am alarm i've ever experienced. Getting up to watch that shit? :rolleyes:

I'll think twice next time there's a hint of controversy.

The most hollow of hollow point scoring finishes Minardi have ever had, there's no satisfaction in it and we should never speak of this race as being anything but an abberation.

A pox on Jordan for offering it some modicum of legitimacy by backing out of a deal. :spank:

Well done Stoddie. Hold your head high.

• I can't get my head around what happened yesterday. But for every suggestion, there's a valid arguement. This concorde crap needs to end. It should be the decision of eitherthe FIA or Bernie. Trying to get 12 sets of people to agree when there's so much bitterness and so many differences in the past. Well it just doesn't work does it.

Who has the answer to yesterdays problem. Can any of you come up with an answer that would've pleased everyone yesterday?
  • I don't see why Bridgestone teams should have agreed to a chicane.

Anyways ... if there's not a GPWC breakaway now there never will be. Bernie and Maxie are a busted flush and it's time to retire.

Tony George is quite right to direct irate fans to the FIA and FOM.

One other thing; legally, Bernie was astute in ensuring all cars turned up on the grid as, technically, it is part of the race. There was a 20 car grid. Does this cover him legally? Probably.
  • Imagine how Sauber must feel of al Michelin teams !!!!!
    They just switched tyre supplier this season !!!
    His cars would have surely been 3rd and 4th yesterday !!!!!

How many teams will switch to BStone for 2006 ???? Anyone wanna bet ???????:P
  • i'd say 7 teams.

There was no question of Minardi and jordan not racing.

They both have paying drivers who wanted to race and would have quit otherwise.

Basically to Minardi it was Race or fold.

Only people to blame is Michelin.

And to those people who wanted a chicane. READ THE RULE BOOK. It has been about for a long time. CURCUITS CAN'T BE CHANGED AFTER QUALIFYING. I've read what rules they allow the fans to read and that rule was in there.

Michelin think everyone will listen to them but no. The FIA are in charge not them.

The only way to avoid this situation was to make proper tyres not cheap ones.
  • Kolin Kolles is one smart cookie. Unless they signed an agreement can't see anyone sticking to it. Even then an agreement in F1 is not worth the parer its written on.
    I'm afraid you cant change the rules on the hop to fix a problem. Yea Stoddart would all be in favour of that as it drives a cart and horses through the regulations and sets a precedent.
    No Michelin must feel the pain. You decided you're not interested in durability, so feel the pain.
    On a legal point, what happens if there was a chicane and there was a big accident with one of the Michelin teams? Bear in mind they have already said their tyres are not safe.
  • PPS, What was the reason Stoddart gave for entering his cars?
  • I......I...........I just can't say how much I'm enjoying this!
  • there is only one company to blame and that is Michelin.

I put no blame whatsoever on TOIT, Jordan and Minardi.

The only disappointment was us not getting at least a fourth place.

But at least both of our cars finished the race.

FORZA - we are 4 points away from Jordan and 7 in front of BAR
  • 4 points behind Jordan:(