Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Workin'

Heres the deal.

At the local Caltex, 3 people just left leaving a big ass whole in the number of staff, I kinda know all the guys that work there (I'd always talk to them for 5-10 mins after work (night shift brotherhood)), so I can get a job there as easy as shit. It pays $16 weekdays and $22 weekends.

On the other hand Coco, one of my assistant managers from the pizza joint has been promoted to manager at another store and really wants me to work for him. Problem is, it pays $9.40 an hour plus $1.20 per delivery (But I was working 50+ hours a week and making $500 a week after tax)

Now here's what's fucking with my mind....

Coco was telling me they (regional mangment) wanted to train me as a manager, which means after a year or two (of putting up with their shit), I'll get a store and make 50 grand+ a year.

So should I go for the short term big $ job, or the long term fucking huge $ job?

Comments

• Think of the wear and tear on the car, Clown. Pizza delivery sucks. Servo work isn't much better, but there's equal chance you'll get shot in either, so i'd take the Servo job's stabilility and lack of 'travel' (thus fuel) personally.

I'd also estimate there's more stability in it too.

How many hours per week is the servo job? If it's more than say 32 and it's casual rate, i'd take it. You may get bumped to fulltime easier.
  • Its just that the servo job is so deadend...
  • Coco was telling me they (regional mangment) wanted to train me as a manager, which means after a year or two (of putting up with their shit), I'll get a store and make 50 grand+ a year.
    Unless he can give you a 100% guarantee. I'd definitely pick the short term one.

[Edited on 10/4/2005 by Stan]
  • Now son... Sit back, relax...Ahhhh
    Now, what do you want to do with your life.
    Focus on the bg picture, not short term gains.
    It's no use being a miserable, unhappy, grumpy, moaning, angry young man.
    Look at the servo, the pizza shop, your favourite whatever and aim high.
    This way you will have respect for yourself and those around you will respect you.
    ...and if you get lucky, more the better!
  • If you aspire to a 50K job as being 'mega' then my advice would be to shoot yourself now.
  • Hear hear Lease - but we are talking about Clown.

Him HAVING a JOB is pretty spectacular stuff.
  • If you aspire to a 50K job as being 'mega' then my advice would be to shoot yourself now.
    Tell me another job that'll pay a 21 year old that kind of money with no experience or no degree.
  • Listen up Clown - I have no degree. I got in at NASA in a time when that was possible. Now no degree = suck ass jobs. Even the trades are not paying well here in the States. Now the game changes if you can be an entrepenur.

My advice - take a job that can help pay for your school, figure out the general area that you want to find yourself in and enroll in a particular program.

Noramally I would nt give advice like this to the likes of you but I really don't want Oznomad having to pay for your ass later in HIS life.

Now get to work.
  • I can't stand formal education :P

I'd rather take a shitty job for several years 'til I've got enough dough to do some entrepreneurial crap.

[Edited on 11/4/2005 by Clown]
  • Get used to living in a trailer park.
  • I can't stand formal education :P

I'd rather take a shitty job for several years 'til I've got enough dough to do some entrepreneurial crap.
    You think I like going to college after having a good job for two years?

I do have an AS, but that's not even good enough these days, so I went back for my BS...

It sucks short term, but it's worth it in the long run.
  • Clown, go the pizza route. Mate I've done shiftwork for 18 years and it makes you old before your time. Climb your way up the corporate ladder and as the CEO of Domino's Pizza worldwide become the new Minardi title sponsor. You've got a kickarse job at the top of a multi national corporate, and Minardi get's bucket loads of the green stuff to build arse kicking F1 cars!!!!!

Now, stop thinking and do as you're instructed. You don't want me to come up there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Blind obedience is what I expect, nay, demand................ NOW MOVE MOVE MOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck buddy. :D
  • Yes master :P

I accepted the pizza job last night
    I figured better the devil you know.
  • Do you deliver to Melbourne?
  • I think thats out of the delivery area.
  • What about the UK???
    ;);););)

Plus my experience of university/college is that its as far away from formal as you can get!!!! Which s bad for me as I dont self motivate very well!! At this very second im meant to be revising but im on here!!!

[Edited on 12/4/2005 by Ste]
  • my experience of university/college is that its as far away from formal as you can get!!!!
    Yeah, me and Coco couldn't have more fun on close if we were drunk.

And the thing I forgot to add, is that the Browns Plains store is dead 98% of the time, on lunch shift I'll pretty much get paid to sit around.
    Plus the delivery area is HUGE which means 30mins plus outta the store at a time :D
  • hear hear lease.

My Dad worked his arse off for years, and didn't get to 50... but that was years ago. the missus just left uni, and had 50 thrown at her... it's crazy!

Clown, find your niche and then figure out how you can make it an earner. Motorsports is a niche, writing is your thing... freelance motorsports journalist. All you need is a way in, and you can turn it into somehting. Youre in Queensland yeah?

Step 1: find a local rag/crappy internet site or something and tell them you want to write a story on the Indy500 for them, as well as provide them with some snap shots.

Step 2: tell them they need to endorse your Indy500 press pass.

step 3: Make sure your work is printable, and get it off to a slightly larger newspaper/less crappy outlet.

step 4: Repeat steps 3 & 4 until Rueters come knocking.
  • Clown, go the pizza route. Mate I've done shiftwork for 18 years and it makes you old before your time. Climb your way up the corporate ladder and as the CEO of Domino's Pizza worldwide become the new Minardi title sponsor. You've got a kickarse job at the top of a multi national corporate, and Minardi get's bucket loads of the green stuff to build arse kicking F1 cars!!!!!
    Be sure to send some to Aurora Formula Vee Ltd at PO Box 40... :P
  • Indy500 :spank;
    Champ Car fool.

But a friend of mine is doing the motorsport journo thing.... way too much of a bitch.
    And besides, where's the fun when you can't use smilies :D

• I'll be dropping off my aplication for employment at the Caltex at around 3-4 AM this morning, once i have a shower and invernt some character references :P

and Clown - keep us in the know of when we can get biggie pizza discounts! :D
  • Browns Plains! Next time I'm at the outlaws I'll give you a shout. They live in Drewvale, and the Bro-in-law lives in Algester.
  • Oz - you have disappointed me. You have gone way to easy on this slacker.

Drop the hammer will ya?
  • How many days/hours do you work per week Quig?
  • At least 4 with 40 but more times than not 5 or 6 with no leass than 8 on the odd days. I was in on Sunday just two days ago.

Whats it matter to you - you writing a fucking book?

Remembe too - I have a trade. Push comes to shove I can get a job damn near anywhere.

• BTW - if you wanna get into a "who's dick is bigger contest" I have made hardware that has flown on the space station. e tu?

I'm trying to give you good advice - get a trade or get a degree. You choose.
  • Clown - you chummy with the Caltex manager? put in a good word for me, eh? :p
  • I don't really know the manager, I just know all the night shift guys (cos I was always there at 3am)
    Who was there last night? Reg, Xavier or Michael?

If that doesn't work out I can hook you up at Browns... :P

[Edited on 13/4/2005 by Clown]
  • At least 4 with 40 but more times than not 5 or 6 with no leass than 8 on the odd days. I was in on Sunday just two days ago.
    I work every Sunday, infact I work 7 days a week. I start at 5pm and finish at 3am.

And you call me the slacker?

(And so what that you make shit for the space station. Its a lot easier to wake up in the morning knowing you've a fulfilling "glamorous" job, as opposed to a pos like mine, where I don't get a 5min break in 10 hours)
  • Who was there last night? Reg, Xavier or Michael?
    buggered if i know,
    there were complicaitons with my application, didn't get it in 'till 10 hours later than i planned :spank: