Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Mugello Press Release!

MINARDI’S MIRACLE

MUGELLO, ITALY, April 15, 2005 – As the gleaming transporter pulled away from the Minardi factory at 7:30 this morning, it marked the culmination of a monumental effort by the entire Faenza squad.  Inside the trailer was the first Minardi Cosworth PS05, the team’s 2005 Formula One car, and it was en route to the Mugello circuit, where it would undergo its initial shakedown test in the hands of Christijan Albers.  All concerned were well aware that it was only the gritty determination of Minardi staff and the unstinting support of technical partners and suppliers that had allowed the team to complete its first PS05 chassis in time to take part in today’s test session.  Happily, the effort was well rewarded, the dramatic-looking new car running without any major technical issues, and accumulating a total of 204 kms during the course of its initial outing.  Minardi personnel returned to Faenza at the conclusion of the test both pleased and satisfied with the day’s events, but also focused on the task of completing the second PS05 chassis in time for next weekend’s San Marino Grand Prix, the team’s 325th event in Formula One World Championship competition.                 

CHRISTIJAN ALBERS                      Best lap: 1 min 26.530 secs              Total laps: 39

“It was a good day, and I have to say, it was a terrific feeling to give the new car its first run.  I would like to compliment the entire team.  They did a great job to get the first PS05 chassis ready for today’s test, and I was then able to cover a useful distance without any significant problems.  I was also very happy with the performance of the Cosworth CR6 engine, which felt both powerful and responsive.  We now have to start working seriously on chassis set-up, and clearly, we have a great deal to learn about the car.  This means Imola is likely to be quite a challenge for us, but there’s huge motivation and enthusiasm within the team, and I know that we are going to make progress.”       

GIAN CARLO MINARDI, Director

“Today, I think we can truly say, ‘well begun is half done’.  It was wonderful to witness the new car leaving the factory this morning for its first test.  The PS05 is yet again clear evidence of the fantastic skills of everyone on this team, and there is still a sense of overwhelming emotion on such occasions, even after so many years.  I hope that what I have seen taking place here in recent days will represent just the starting point for major achievements that everyone at Minardi well deserves.”

PAUL STODDART, Team Principal

“It was a proud day for everyone at Minardi, particularly the design team led by Technical Director, Gabriele Tredozi, when the first PS05 took to the track at Mugello this morning.  It represented the culmination of an enormous effort by the entire Minardi team, and marks the true beginning of our 2005 season.  When one considers that the engine, gearbox, and entire chassis are new, and that so many systems are untried, the potential for teething problems was significant.  The fact the car ran faultlessly, however, really sums up the efforts of the whole team – fantastic!  Unfortunately, there was also a sad note today, as one member of staff who was absolutely critical to the completion of the PS05 could not be present to see it run.  Sandro Parrini’s father passed away this morning, and our thoughts are therefore very much with him and his family at this time.”

- Ends -

Minardi Testing Details

Location: Autodromo di Mugello, Mugello, Italy                                       

Date: April 15, 2005                                                                     

Weather: Sunny and mild                                               

Air temperature: 16-18 deg C

Track temperature: minus 22-24 deg C

Driver: Christijan Albers (NL)

Chassis allocation: PS05/01             

Distance covered: 204.5 km

Number of testing days used this season: 1

Total testing distance covered this season: 204.5 km                                              

Comments

• Wow thats some cold tarmac!!!!! -22!!;)

Kudos to the team!!

RB's bestlap from yesterday : 01:21.303

Were not far off at all in an untested car on a shakedown test!!!!

[Edited on 15/4/2005 by Ste]
  • 4.6 seconds slower than RB today, that's pretty good for a first runout:D!
    Respect to the hole team of Minardi and also to Christijan his drive and support!!
  • but also still half a second slower than Albers did in Februari.
  • when did they test at Mugello this year???
    They have only test at Misano and Imola earlear this year
  • Yea, no Mugello testing since Bruni ran there after Imola last year.
  • Quigley do you know Parrini? He was chief mechanic in 2003 it seems..
  • I knew that we would be close to JV's times.
    1999 Mugello test times.

1. M Schumacher - Ferrari - 1:24.893 - B
    2. J Trulli - Jordan - 1:25.686 - B
    3. J Alesi - Jordan - 1:25.872 - B
    4. O Panis - BAR - 1:26.100 - B
    5. K Raikkonen - Sauber - 1:26.152 - B
    5. J Villeneuve - BAR - 1:26.329 - B
    7. T Sato - BAR - 1:27.729 - (Test Driver) - B
    8. A Yoong - Minardi - 1:31.318 - (Test Driver) - M
    B: Bridgestone - M: Michelin Tyres

Can't wait to see what happens next week. Great looking design which i hope can deliver results.
    DD
    DD
  • Thisis whatit is all about. Well done boys.

And please don't worry about ht e times. It's our first run. Be thankful that there were no technical issues. This is the true success for us.

GCM in the press release too.
  • Presumably Albers was told- " DO NOT CRASH THIS CAR"
  • He would have to be told?
  • Quigley do you know Parrini? He was chief mechanic in 2003 it seems..
    I've met him but do not knoww him.

Remember to say a prayer for his deceased Father - its the least we can do people.
  • Number of testing days used this season: 1

Total testing distance covered this season: 204.5 km
    :hehe:
    Great subtle stab in TOIT's back !!!!
  • I'm delighted with the fact that on a day where one could easily forget what is really important Pauls Stoddart speaks of the death of Sandro Parrini’s father. Bravo ! My condoleances.