Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Stoddart Slams Corporate Australia

Stoddart slams corporate Australia

Paul Stoddart has lashed out at corporate Australia for failing to help young countrymen make it in Formula One. The Melbourne-born owner of Minardi took a punt on Mark Webber in 2002, but indicated he would not be doing the same for hopeful trio Ryan Briscoe, Will Power and Will Davison.

''I can give them a test,'' said the 49-year-old, who - true to his word - ran the two Wills at Misano last week, but added: ''Sadly, I can't afford to run them without corporate backing.

''When Mark is world champion,'' Paul continued, ''there will be an awful lot of companies in Australia who wish like hell that they'd gotten involved.''

Comments

• Always true, sadly.

Conservative is a term that describes the bolder corporates 'round here.

It has ever been the same, particularly in the area of venture capital. Person gets idea..........person looks for corporate backing..........person gets pissed off with all the rejections......person takes idea to America where venture capitalists fall over each other trying to give money to person...........America announces another world first invention........

But at least the corporate bigwigs look after their own. Telstra (Webber Sponsor) boss Ziggy Switkowsky has resigned two years short of his term and after stuffing everything up during his reign he gets two mill severance, plus his options, plus performance bonus(?), plus, plus, plus
  • :( Sad, but true.
  • America announces another world first invention........
    Nothing wrong with that.
  • ''I can give them a test,'' said the 49-year-old, who - true to his word - ran the two Wills at Misano last week, but added: ''Sadly, I can't afford to run them without corporate backing.
    You're looking at the this the wrong way! The only reason why 'corporate Australia' are not interested is cos they know it would be a waste of money in a Minardi. Improve the car and I would bet that if Minardi were mixing it in midfield Minardi would be in a stronger position to be more attractive to corporate australia supporting young drivers in the car.
  • No he's right - Corporate Australia dont sponsor anything period. They never have and they never fucking will!
  • It is not generally well known that Mark Webber was not looking good for a drive in Europe at all until he got a helping hand from fellow Queanbeyan lad, David Campese (former Rugby star) who actually tipped in some money and brought some influence to bear (Campese was very well known in Italy for a time).