Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Can all the blame be placed on Michelin..?

Apparently, resurfacing of the circuit had previously cause problems for the IRL cars the weeks preceeding the Indy 500. Martin Brundle said in commentary that Firestone knew the problems that the new surface was creating and informed Bridgestone (parent company) which then produced a suitable tyre for the new track surface. Michelin obviously wasn't aware of these problems...

Comments

• Today's press release from Michelin.

• Its called doing your homework.

• How can you do your homework on a circuit that you dont test on? They would have calculated their tyres based on the previous season. Look at Bridgestone in 2003. They had similar problems at alot of circuits (Hockenheim being one) yet got away with it as pitstops were permissable at the time.
  • The answer to your question is.....yes
  • Something to think about...

Race Director Charlie Whiting
    Ross Brawn’s drinking buddy released a letter that he got from Michelin with some smart answers as to why they couldn’t use different tyres on Sunday.

But he’s changed the rules for Bridgestone prior to a race so we’ve been here before. It's surprising nobody’s questioned why Whiting changed the tyre rules at the beginning of the 2003 Brazilian GP.

Back in 2003 you were only allowed to take one wet tyre to races, so you had to make your mind up before the event. Bridgestone arrived at Interlagos with their legendary intermediate tyre that was quite good in wet and mixed conditions. Michelin had a full wet that could run in more rain.

When the heavens opened before the race, Whiting delayed the start because the Bridgestone runners wouldn’t have been able to make it round safely. It was clearly Bridgestone’s fault for not bringing a full wet tyre, but as the argument has gone this weekend – they knew the situation…

After delaying the start the field was then sent round Interlagos behind the Safety Car until enough water was taken off the circuit. Had they released the field when it was suitable for the Michelins on full wets, then Fisichella would never have won the race in his Jordan and Kimi Raikkonen may well have got the win.

Nobody complained because it was a safety issue. Fast forward two years and Whiting is not prepared to compromise in another safety situation. This interpretation of the rules when it suits them makes F1 fans deeply suspicius - it's like there was an agenda here from the FIA.

read the rest of it in Race Winners+Losers Section (Renamed Loser+Losers section for this race) at www.planet-f1.com

[Edited on 22/6/2005 by TasM]
  • While Brazil probably wasn't done correctly, it's a long departure from changing the layout of the track.
  • Not entirely if you ask me.

If I were the FIA I would have let Michelin fly in those new tyres.

They could just have disqualified the teams running Michelin's afterwards.