Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Penalty predictions

Let's have your best guess as to the penalties handed down and ramifications from the World Council meeting Wednesday.

For myself- Max will attempt to divide and conquer with fines levied against 6 teams and a ban of some sort for BAR with the upshot being 2 red cars circling Magny Cours. The teams will decide that while their unity is at it's greatest and with the battle is coming anyway, why not now?

Comments

• The Teams screwed up - we have already discussed options. Not popular but realistic options nonetheless.

IF Max whacks the Teams and they walk - and more specifically if Jordan and Minardi walk - then it is they who will have killed F1.

• Yeah but what do you think wil happen, Speculate!
  • Max is going to give Paul a big kiss.

On the lips.

With tongues and everything.
  • Stop that!

Does anyone recall what happened after Minardi pulled out of Spain after the wing-shedding thing?

Were they called to account by the FIA?

If not, then surely Mosely's summons must be collective, and the response collective, and the penalty collective, since the only charge in regard to bringing the sport into disrepute would be one of collusion. Without proof of collusion then the teams would be proved to have independantly retired on the basis of a safety assessment as Minardi did in Spain.

There is a clear precedent that no summons should be issued, and no penalty applied.
  • But isn't Mosley's argument that this wasn't a safety issue since the 'slow down' option was refused?
  • Once again, Minardi could have slowed down, but instead chose to not compete.
  • Yea, surely we could have run the front straight in 4th gear..
  • Look the actual point is that there were by the FIA's Indy logic, alternatives available to Minardi, short of not competing. They could have put metal ties, or stiffeners on for example.

The thing that the M. teams should be saying is that the precedent exists (and there are others in the past) to allow a team not to compete when the car is unsafe and a modification would be - let's call it - inapropriate.
  • Lease in your first para - did you mean Michelin or Minardi? Minardi, in my memory, competed.
  • He's talking about Spain '02? Minardi wing failures. Of course that's what the teams will claim Lease, and the FIA will come back with the thought that this wasn't a safety issue but something akin to bringing simply uncompetitive equipment which is what they've been saying pretty much all along, no?

• Then the culpability would be in foreknowledge. Prove that.
  • [quote]Stop that!

Does anyone recall what happened after Minardi pulled out of Spain after the wing-shedding thing?

Were they called to account by the FIA?

I don't think so. That was the different issue.
    First Minardi manufacture their own wings, and they couldn't explain the failures in the time available. Minardi withdrew after qualifying, and did not line up on the grid. They didn't tease the fans by doing a formation lap, and then parking the car. They went home on Saturday.

Minardi did not bring the sport into disrepute in that instance, and every body agreed that their actions were sensible.

The big issue here is that the teams made a farce of the sporting regulations, by doing a parade lap.

Regards
  • But isn't Mosley's argument that this wasn't a safety issue since the 'slow down' option was refused?
    Indeed Mosley says the whole thing was a 'performance' issue. I strongly disagree. It's a safety issue, and one on one comparable with the Minardi 2002 wing failure. A safety issue is a safety issue, regardless 'who manufactures what'.

Slowing down in turn 13 was never a real option, and above all very, very dangerous. The difference in speed between Michelin-runners and Bridgestone-runners would have created some hazardous situations.

In the past courses have been altered with (tyre) chicanes to insure safety for drivers, especially after the death of Senna. So why FIA were so stubborn (or stupid) to not agree to this proposal is really beyond me: know your own history, I would say.

I think FIA realises that they've misjudged the whole situation at Indy. However, they've gone beyond the point of no return and feel they have to show who's boss, so I think they will at least scapegoat one of the teams (Imo BAR) with a race ban and hand out fines and penalties, and making themselves impossible.

At the same time I fear FIA will ignore the fans who spend a lot of do's to attend the US venue, which I feel is (and let me quote PS here) "a f*ck*ng disgrace". Without fans, no sport. Ever watched a football game played in an empty stadium?

So what would be the right thing to do? The teams and their partners have been let down by Michelin and FIA, so they are punished already with an enforced race ban in the US. Leaves the fans that didn't get what they paid for. Both Michelin and FIA are to blame for the farce. Both of them should refund the spectators without hesitation. Facing individual lawsuits would be very costly and - imagewise - a killer. So plead guilty, cry a bit, say you're sorry, and pay up!

Leaves me with only one thing: Mosley has done a good job in the past, but clearly has lost it. He should take a long vacation, and hand over his job to the one whom puts the sport above his ego...

(btw, I'm not available) :cool:
  • Max will fine all the teams and ban BAR for the season.

Team will boycott France, and the FIA will threaten to ban them all.

Bernie and 8 of the teams will walk. (Either Midlands or Red Bull will stay, cant make up my mind :P)

Grand Prix World Championship will begin next season. Teams will include BMW, Toyota, Mclaren Mercedes, Renault, BAR Honda, Williams Cosworth, Minardi, Red Bull or Midlands, Audi, Cadillac, Bentley, Panoz, Lola and Dallara. The chassis rules will be the same as Le Mans prototypes (some old GP cars used to look like that, and besides, a rear engined Renault battling with a front engined Panoz and a closed cockpit Toyota would be fucking awesome)

All the races will remain 300km long with one driver - the same as are now, except the French GP will be 24 hours long and held at Le Mans (the home of GP racing!)

Ferrari and Bridgestone will finish 1-2-3 in the 2007 world championship, closely followed by Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Maserati, Iveco and Lancia who all field strangely similar looking cars...

And all the GPWC cars will wear Michelins. ;)

[Edited on 28/6/2005 by Brooksey]
  • BAR is already on probation and might get the harshest punishment.
    I would let them race in France and England, but without possibility of gaining points !!!!!! (Good for our Team:D).

The other 6 teams might get a hefty fine and will be put on probation as well.
  • Michelin to hand over £8.5 million pounds in compensation to IMS. Suspended race bans for the Michelin runners who failed to take part.
    Michelin's expulsion from the championship dependent on the findings of the independent tyre analysis of the rubber, ie was it safe enough to compete at curtailed speeds?
  • http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=24978

I think pitpass wins the competion:hehe:

The only problem is I think Paul is Max's target with that thing:o
  • FactyCrab
    posted on 21/6/2005 at 12:41
    Is there a chance that the current fiasco degenerates to this?
    following scenario possible?
    the 7 teams fined us$3m each or some ridiculous amount.
    the teams threathen boycott of magny cours.
    fia suspends the teams who threathen boycott with a 6 race ban.
    the formula one race becomes a combined race of class I cars under present regulations and class II cars with gp2 and f3000 cars.

Biker
    posted on 21/6/2005 at 13:09
    Very possible!!
    And I guess the race will last for 24 hours and they still are not allowed to change tyres.

Brooksey
    posted on 21/6/2005 at 23:06
    How can the FIA ban 14 cars for 6 races? That indeed would be the end of Formula 1. Then again, Minardi would be rolling in points, and would have to get at least one podium...roll on boycott! (kidding guys)

wow, what a difference a week makes!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • Facty - my last post was a joke. And I still stand by my original post and don't believe the FIA will ban any of the teams. (although BAR are a worry...)
  • my dear brooksey,

i wasn't referring to you, biker or me...we three find it incredible that it can or should happen...thus my subject heading of "can it?...."

i find it surprising how in just one week not only are our boardmembers thinking this might happen but the whole of the f1 media world also seem to think that it might be possible though not probable.
  • It all depends on Maxey. I don't think there's any doubt that if there are race-bans handed down to any of the teams that there will be a boycott as the teams appear solidly united and feel strongly that this was no doing of theirs.
  • I wish Stoddart wouldn't go to Paris !!!!!!!:rolleyes:
  • Let's have your best guess as to the penalties handed down and ramifications from the World Council meeting Wednesday.
    What I hope happens is one of two things:

1. Michelin and the seven teams are fined the appropriate amount needed to finance a ticket refund program (for those who didn't go to CART's Cleveland race, of coure) as well as IMS being refunded the $13.5M they put up to host the race. Money should also come from the FIA in this situation, but we all know just how likely that is.

2. Some other absurd penalty is handed down by Mosley, eight of the ten teams immediately withdraw from the championship, with the resulting fallout making the CART/IRL split look trivial by comparison. European open-wheel racing is ruined forever.

What will most likely happen? A punitive fine of some sort for Michelin and the teams, who bitch behind closed doors. Max's reign as FIA President and Head Jerk continues unabated until 2008 when GPWC is formed, Midland folds due to lack of finance, and Ferrari opts to satisfy themselves by holding three-car races at Mugello once a week. Everyone suffers.
  • Am I misinformed? I thought Max was out as of this october anyway - sure he could run for reelection but that does not seem likely.
  • You're correct, I was just exaggerating.

[Edited on 6/28/2005 by ThunderboltSeven]