Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

The new drivers

With the test drawing nearer: who will be driving for Minardi in 2005?

What about the Venezuelan guy? Can he get money? Is he any good?

Comments

• I hope the new line-up to be Montagny-Zlobin.
    It would mean we have the Renault's engines and the Russian money, and Montagny is for sure also a very good driver.

If not, even Montagny-Zsolt could do. I somehow like the guy, and you can be sure that in a race with 12 retirements he will be there to get the point (unlike Gimmi).
  • Why Montagny? He is not testing for us and we have the engines from Cosworth for sure.

I think the Venezuelan guy is quite good, minardi made a single presse-release for him which was very positive (he was the only driver who had his own). Let's see what he can do duringn the testing, but I'm quite optimistic to see him driving races in 2005. Secount driver... well, Zsolt is quite possible, or maybe Leinders.

Zlobin could become oue Friday-test-driver.... he has enough money.
  • I wouldn't write off the Dutchies just yet. But I'm not counting on ithem.

I personally would like a Zsolt and Leinders combination as well :)
  • I would love Zsolt to stay, but I'm not sure whether he will because his sponsorship budget will be lower. Whoever performs best at the shoot-out test should also be in contention, and if they have enough sponsorship to make up for Zsolt's decreased budget then a Zsolt - Shoot-out winner combination would be good. Other than that, if De La Rosa still has his Repsol money then I wouldn't mind him in a Minardi seat for next year, or possibly Verstappen if we can get his sponsors to pay the money and shut up.
  • what nationalitity is de la rosa , is he still testing for mclaren
  • de la rosa is spanish
  • or possibly Verstappen if we can get his sponsors to pay the money and shut up.
    German press reported today that Verstappen will go to DTM or ChampCar...
  • Chanock Nissany will also be testing for us. He's the Israeli (?) fellow that tested for Jordan.

• Tiago Monteiro returns to the cockpit of the Minardi-Cosworth PS04 at Misano next week, when he will be in charge of preparing the car which will be used for the team to test ten young drivers.

Despite not being able to enjoy an extended run in the car, the Portuguese driver is keen to get back behind the wheel after limited testing opportunities this season.

“I am excited to know that I am going to drive the Minardi again, this time with some alterations since the test in September," Monteiro said, "The aim is to prepare the car so it can have a neutral, balanced response, making it easy to use for the young, inexperienced, drivers that the team has invited to this test.

“I do not know how many laps I will do - it will depend on the circuit, which I know absolutely nothing about. But I think that 20 or 30 laps will be enough to adapt the Minardi to the track.”

The recently-crowned Nissan World Series runner-up will be on hand to offer advice to the youngsters, most of whom will be getting their first opportunity to drive a Formula One car.

“I know what they must be feeling, because I went through it when I got into the cockpit of the Renault R202 in Barcelona two years ago," Monteiro explained, "The whole team was concentrating on me, but those were unforgettable moments.”

F3000 frontrunner Patrick Friesacher heads the list of drivers getting a run in the Minardi, with F3 race winners Ronnie Quintarelli and Robert Kubica flying in from the Macau Grand Prix to take their turn behind the wheel. Others scheduled to participate include Venezuelan Pastor Maldonado, and Australian F3 duo Will Davison and Will Power, who were granted a run by countryman Paul Stoddart on the basis of their performances in the British F3 series this year.
    From Crash.net

Sounds like the team want this guy hanging around. Also the "alterations" sound positive.
  • As I've said before it does'nt matter what drivers Minardi have. Just get the car straight first, then we can worry about getting the right drivers.........
  • Montiero has to be in one car next year, whoever is driving the second car just needs to bring in a shite load of dollars. I do like the sound of Maldonado.

Does Venezuela have any national petro/oil companies? With the amount of oil pumping out of the place, maybe the young bloke can bring some of the oil money with him!

But Tiggy has to be on the top of the list!!!
  • I'm leaning towards the Venezuelan as there was that visit by the contingent from there and suddenly GCM pops over to Venezuela etc etc etc.
  • Chanock Nissany will also be testing for us. He's the Israeli (?) fellow that tested for Jordan.
    Israeli?!? Should go down well in Bahrain
  • Correction: It's Chanoch.
  • ^^ Sounds like some kind of Greek food....

[Edited on 22/11/2004 by Clown]
  • De La Rosa will stay as test (and reserve?) driver at McLaren in 2005.
    According to Spanish sportspaper Marca he received the new contract last Friday !!!!
  • Montagny and Monteiro. With the best of the testers as 3rd driver.
    I don't agree at all that drivers are unimportant this year - a good pilot will allow us to kick Jordan's arse.
  • Correction: It's Chanoch.
    As opposed to pillock? :rolleyes:
  • Nissany and Zlobin :(
  • Power and Coulthard ;)
  • Don't even joke about that Brooksey!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Power & Monteiro/Albers OK

Or we'll see how Maldonano goes
  • This is a post by a guy named Bobo over at TOMS - he is usually pretty reliable but did any of you see this article/report in the paper he quotes?

Yesterday italian magazine AutoSprint there was a great interview to GianCarlo Minardi:

The last question was about next season drivers: GC reported that Zsolt is paratically confirmed, his hungarian sponsors was worried for the engine but now that Cosworth has new owners Zsolt sponsors support him 100%. For the other seat the team is trying to keep Bruni: the problem is connected to some Italian Sponsors that has to "wake up".
  • I read sometimes at TOMS and I got a very fine impression of Bobo and I heard very often that Minardi and Zsolt want to go on,
  • Sod that I'm more interested in how Nick did at Williams yesterday in the test that is supposed to decide the 2nd Williams seat, only two in the running Pizzonia and Heidfeld.
    I know who'd I pick!
  • Has anyone else noticed that Alan van der Merwe seems to be getting some good press testing for BAR, with some impressive times. Didn't he drive at the Altech South African F1x2 event, any chance he's got the cash/talent to be worth a look for next year, given the existing connection?
  • Don't even joke about that Brooksey!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Power & Monteiro/Albers OK

Or we'll see how Maldonano goes
    Are you out of your mind? If Albers would come, it'd mean Minardi would get Trust back. :o
  • I do like the sound of Maldonado.

Does Venezuela have any national petro/oil companies? With the amount of oil pumping out of the place, maybe the young bloke can bring some of the oil money with him!
    PDVSA (Petroleos de Venezuela Sociedad Anónima = Venezuela' s Oils PLC) is the fifth biggest oil company in the world. Believe me, they are huge and responsible for 15% of the total oil the yanks fill their cars with. Loadsa dosh in case they are interested. Dunno yet who are Maldonado's sponsors. PDVSA is a state company, responsible for nearly half of the national budget of the country, money is not a problem. Maybe fuel supplier to Minardi???
  • I'd prefer a decent car&engine rather than any driver in special. If that happens, then Leinders/Monteiro. GCM and me both love Lopez, and I can assure he's quick. But Renault won't let him go and BAR did treid to grab him (he was too expensive for a third drive).