Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Hockheim 2005 German Grand Prix

13»

Comments

• German G.P. - The race

DUTCH TREAT

HOCKENHEIM, GERMANY, July 24, 2005

The Minardi F1 Team this afternoon concluded a very positive weekend at the Hockenheimring, with Christijan Albers securing an excellent 13th place in the German Grand Prix and new team mate, Robert Doornbos, completing his first Formula One race in 18th. The event was not without incident for the Dutch duo, however, Albers’ car losing one of its bargeboards in a first-lap skirmish and Doorbos being forced to make an unscheduled pit stop on lap four, after his car was in collision with Jacques Villeneuve’s Sauber. While refuelling the car, the Team’s mechanics detected a puncture, which necessitated a tyre change. Unfortunately, it also resulted in the assessment of a stop-and-go penalty. Despite the incidents, however, both drivers pressed on to the finish, running strongly and consistently. This was undoubtedly the Faenza squad’s most competitive race weekend of the season so far, and will see the Team heading into next weekend’s Hungarian Grand Prix with hopes for another competitive performance.

CHRISTIJAN ALBERS
    Position: 13
    Time: 1 min 18.425 secs Chassis: PS05/01
    “I’m pleased to have finished, although it turned out to be a tough race, as the car set-up was not quite what we had aimed for. Looking at it positively, however, it’s something we can improve on for the next race, and hopefully gain some more performance. That said, even though the car may not have been perfect today, it was raceable, and as a result, we were able to do a reasonable job. Certainly, I’m pleased with the outcome of the race, but I think it could have been even a little better”.

ROBERT DOORNBOS
    Position: 18
    Time: 1 min 19.025 secs Chassis: PS05/02
    “I’m happy to have finished my first Grand Prix, although it was definitely a very eventful race. I had a problem at the start with the launch control, and therefore did a manual start. I’m sure it looked dramatic, with lots of wheelspin, but I lost position against some of the other cars. Once I got going, the first lap was chaos. It was very good for me, though, as I gained a number of positions. Then, on the third lap, as we arrived at the Arena, my car took a big hit from Villeneuve and I spun. As a result, I had to make an unscheduled stop to have the car checked, and that was quite a shame because I think we had the pace to stay with the Jordans and to stay close to my team mate. If we were going to have a bit of bad luck, though, it’s maybe preferable to get it out of the way today, at the first race, and then next week it will all go a lot better. I’m feeling fit and now looking forward to Hungary”.

PAUL STODDART, Team Principal, Minardi Cosworth

“Today, the Minardi F1 Team achieved one of its year-long goals, by putting in a solid performance all weekend to finish ahead of its nearest rivals. Both drivers, who had to deal with damaged cars as the result of separate first-lap incidents, put in truly gutsy performances this afternoon. That, combined with the continuing hard work by the race team and all the staff back at the factory, is paying off. Well done to everybody!”.

Look at the guys!!!:)

Is that Paul himself at the pitwall with his hands palmed??

This is a great day!!
  • Kind of looks like him doesn't it? :)
  • I remember a simular picture of Monza 2000 where Paul was hanging over the pitwall with the Arrows crew, anybody who has this pic?
  • Kind of looks like him doesn't it? :)
    Could have sworn it was him from the small image!

The press release relieves my worries about the mechanics. If the guys notice a puncture after the hose has went in, there aren't too many alternatives left.

Albers missing a bargeboard makes his performance even more impressive. Still doesn't quite match Webber's broken diff in Melbourne 2002, but we're getting there.. :)
  • Wonderful stuff, well done to the boys.

However ...

- something has to change with our pitstops

- why did Chris drop behind Narain and then get back in front - was there actual overtaking?!
  • Kartikeyan went by a lap before his third Pitstop, i think Chris didn't want to take the risk that Kartikeyan punched him out because he knew that Kartikeyan still had to stop, Paul said this threw the radio that Kartikeyan was going to stop!
  • No !!
    But,.... the hidden faxe behind the guys clapping hands COULD be Paul !!!!;)
  • A fantastic result!! But what was the deal with JV he is meant to be an experienced driver and he was tripping over everyone!!!
  • It was great to see us actually beating people on merit and as salvo pointed out actually racing!!!!!:D:D

I think it could have been even better if it wasn't for Jacques being a little to desperate to get through and very imprssive where Rob finished the first lap even with a manual start.

The stop go was a shame because if they did notice a puncture after beginning refuelling surely it would be a safety issue to send him back out for another lap?? however if it was just a mistake we should know better.

Onto Hungary and top 10 results!!!
  • Great Race! Fanstastic! And I was there!!!!! :D
  • Where are the pics?
  • I am actually writing the race-report, will send it to RJ with the pics later in the day.

But don't expect too much, I'm not Murph^^

• Can we actually declare that we are off the 'back of the grid'? We did beat the Jordans in a straight fight?

Well, anyway great job guys. It made me smile.

The others;

I felt bad for Kimi and Webbo, but that's racing isn't it? too bad the championship is all but over. JPM did well, but you wouldn't have expected much less.

JV the battering ram, what's going on with that!
  • F O R Z A M I N A R D I:D:D:D
  • http://people.freenet.de/minardif1/Hockenheim/hockenheim.html

If you find any mistakes in the text, you are wellcome to tell me ;)
  • You did a very nice job.
  • very, very good, will make its way to the other reports (gang, we need to write up something about our imola visit!!)
  • Excellent job - good pics
  • Very nice report.

F1Racing has an article on B'Stones reaction to Albers Drive.

Bridgestone impressed with Albers' performance

Christijan Albers didn't only just qualify himself in front of both Jordan drivers on Saturday, but he also managed to finish the German Grand Prix in thirteenth position after a stunning performance. The Dutchman received many compliments in the paddock.

Minardi's tyre supplier Bridgestone was very impressed with his performance. Bridgestone's technical manager Hisao Suganuma said: "We were very impressed with Christijan's performance at Hockenheim . Especially his race where he managed to end in front of both Jordan drivers and a Toyota."

Should also be noted that, aside from Monaco, this was by far the teams most competitive race. Albers fastest lap time during the race was only fractionally slower than the Jordans and closer to the rest of the pack than in any other race so far.

• Great Hockenheim-weekend report, Homer !!!
  • Great stuff Homer - what a team!