Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Johnnie Walker McLaren

According to German newspaper Bild, Mc laren Mercedes has finalised a main sponsorship deal with Johnnie Walker for $53m per year starting from the Turkish GP 2005.

2 ironical things:
1) the start of a whisky sponsorship in a muslim country;
2) the start of a whisky sponsorship just when a Scottish driver has left the team after 9 seasons.

What I can say is that I only hope them not to change the livery from the fantastic grey-black to Johnnie Walker red-yellow.

But why did not Johnnie Walker come to sponsor Minardi? Why? Why? And what are Amaro Averna and Birra Peroni waiting for?

[Edited on 14/12/2004 by manlio27]

Comments

• Or Cinar, Asti, Cinzano, Aperol etc etc;)

Johnny Walker is Whiskey not Whisky so DC would have been the wrong person to promote it anyway
  • More Mc news:

it seems the new car is too small for Wurz to fit in !!!!!
    Merc wants Paffet as a tester, but Mc didn't want to let go of Wurz when RedBull was interested !?!?!?!?:o
  • What I can say is that I only hope them not to change the livery from the fantastic grey-black to Johnnie Walker red-yellow.
    After 2006, when West is gone, Mclarens gonna need a new sponsor :o But I doubt it would be red/yellow, it would be Johnny Walker Blue, just like Rob Walkers 1960s Lotii and Coopers! Now that would be cool, a blue car, w/o any large sponsor names on it with a nice white band on the nose.
  • can we get wurz?
  • Good idea RJ, we could get Wurz and Wilson and make a car with a bigger cockpit that would suit both of them!
  • I want Fernet Branca to be our main sponsor.
  • I want Fernet Branca to be our main sponsor.
    I prefer Zunft Kölsch...

Is it confirmed that Walker will sponsor McLaren? If BILD is the only newspaper which is reporting this, I won't believe it.
  • can we get wurz?
    After this year you'd like to say no, but with Stoddart at the helm........anything is possible!
  • Are you actually saying something NICE about PS?
  • Great. I'm sick and tired of silver McLarens. I can't even remember them differently.
  • According to sport1.de (german sport-info-site), the BILD has this information from an "Insider of the team"..... well, then it will not be true.
  • Read my commment a different way Emmitt.......

Wurz......
  • Wurz to your Mother.
  • [quote]What I can say is that I only hope them not to change the livery from the fantastic grey-black to Johnnie Walker red-yellow.
    After 2006, when West is gone, Mclarens gonna need a new sponsor :o But I doubt it would be red/yellow, it would be Johnny Walker Blue, just like Rob Walkers 1960s Lotii and Coopers! Now that would be cool, a blue car, w/o any large sponsor names on it with a nice white band on the nose. [/quote]

From the billboards I've seen around melbourne, Johnny Walker are using black background with gold writing. So maybe mclaren will keep there livery similar with the rear wing and sidepods becoming black.
  • Or maybe it will become something similar to the old John Player Special Lotus....in which case I wouldn't mind!
  • manlio, an "Amaro Averna Minardi" would be great.

And we could get another sicilian driver after Lavaggi.
    I's choose you.

:hehe:
  • It appears they're losing MOBIL1 as well.
  • It depends what kind of Johnny Walker they are going to advertise.

1)Johnny Walker Black
    2)Johnny Walker Red
    3)Johnny Walker Blue

I wonder which one it will be. I suspect black as blue is too expensive to buy and its more popular than the red version.

[Edited on 21/12/2004 by Ste]
  • This comin from a man who knows a thing or two about booze.
  • JW Black would also fit in better with the current colour scheme.
  • What's the Blue version ????
    I never saw it here !!
  • It's aged longer and is bloody expensive!!!!! The Premium brand of JW.
  • Can't you get yellow as well, or is that Jim Beam?
  • Watch it - Jim Beam is the OFFICIAL drink of the US paras!

Oz - does the blue get you more loopey than the other (cheapo) one?
  • Not sure Quig, I don't drink scotch. but from a look at the results of a couple of the "field tests" I've seen, it seems to have a pretty good kick to it. I'm told to quote old movie line, "it's as smooth as prom queen's thighs, and twice as dangeorous." :o
  • In your job t=do you have to clear out the mil and off base pubs or is left to mere MP's?
  • We do the on base pubs. The ADF rarley do "official" street patrols off base. Our Constitution/Gov't doesn't allow us the freedom to move/operate outside of military establishments at will, without a special Act from Parliament. Which is why you find the Aust Federal Police conducting security at our embassies, not the military, and so on.

Damn Constitution/Gov't/tree hugging, teddy bear cuddling, Civil Libertarians............. :spank:
  • Called Democracy Oz.

My understanding is that the Americans gave it a go, but all those rules!!

I recall an incident on the Macarthur Highway, which is the street that runs by the (now ex) Clarke USAF base near Angeles City in the Phillipines.

This Yank serviceman is walking down the street with a local girl (a really, really common sight at that place and time) when this MP vehicle screehes up, lights and sirens going mad. They haul this guy into the gutter with one MP with his foot on the guy's neck and pistol to the back of the head. Another MP is standing a coupel of metres away with his weapon drawn and pointing at the guy as well.

Now I'm not saying that this wasn't just the sort of entertainment that can liven up a lazy hot afternoon's drinking, cause it was. The idea that they had such wide-ranging powers and such executive methods was what really amazed us.

So we sat there thinking deeply about the rights of the individual in our Air Force and the wisdom of maintaining a Service Police force that had virtually no authority but was still good for a laugh.
  • I hope you all cheered.:D

I wouldn't we have virtually no authority, I'd be more inclined to say we have 'absolutley no authority'.