Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Spa - F1 weekend

2»

Comments

• [quote]RTL
    but only if you don't know german, if you do, it will make you run amok:hehe: [/quote]

:spank: :spank: :spank:

But... guess you're right.... damn right.

:(
  • Looks like we had a little too much wing perhaps in FP3, losing out in the second sector. Hopefully that will change in this session..
  • I hate to say this, but it seems like Jordans 'b-spec' car has left Minardi behinde... :(
  • Rumours are that Robert will sign a new contract this weekend for next season before Paul sells the team to Dieter or Eddie (Yep, Eddie is still in the running).
  • I hate to say this, but it seems like Jordans 'b-spec' car has left Minardi behinde... :(
    Minardi have just found 3.5 seconds on both cars in the last minutes of FP4 - unbelievable!!!! Only 2.5 seconds off Mclaren!!! double unbelievable. !!! WOW!!!
  • I'm really suprised! Where did that come from!? :o
  • neither car ran with a driver - all pit to car control:hehe:
  • Nice to see GCM on pit wall - good show by our two guys
  • Let's hope it rains tomorrow because both cars are very low fueled, Stoddart took a gamble there.
  • NO LUCK IN SPA

SPA-FRANCORCHAMPS, BELGIUM, September 11, 2005 – Today’s Belgian Grand Prix might best be described as “a gamble that didn’t pay off” for the Minardi F1 Team. Drivers Christijan Albers and Robert Doornbos started the race from the pit-lane, with Doornbos in the spare car, Albers in his normal race car, and both on wet-weather tyres. It was soon apparent that these were not appropriate for the wet, but drying, track surface, and both drivers were called in after just a few laps to have shallow wets (intermediates) fitted. The lap times improved immediately, but on lap 15, Albers reported that second gear was no longer working. The race then settled into a consistent rhythm for the Minardi duo until approximately half-distance, when both stopped for their second, and what should have been final, pit stops. Albers remained on intermediates, but Doornbos switched to dry tyres, the team gambling that conditions had improved sufficiently for the grooved slicks to work effectively. Unfortunately, such proved not to be the case, and after an off-course excursion on his out-lap, Doornbos returned to the pits for a fresh set of intermediates. Both drivers then pressed on to the finish, eventually taking 12th and 13th places at the chequered flag.

CHRISTIJAN ALBERS Best lap: 2 min 01.627 secs Position: 12th
    “I think today we achieved the maximum we could, considering the strategy we had. The race was really difficult on wet tyres, but then with the intermediates fitted, it was okay. Unfortunately, I had no second gear for much of the race, and lost a lot of time shifting up. There are four corners on this track where you have to go into second gear and then shift up on the exit, and it was difficult to keep the speed up. Considering the difficult conditions, I think the best aspect of today is that we were able to finish the race, especially for the home crowd. Special thanks to my engineer, Laurent Mekies, who helped me to get the maximum possible from today. We couldn’t have achieved a better result, taking everything into consideration.”

ROBERT DOORNBOS Best lap: 2 min 01.148 secs Position: 13th
    “We were banking on some more rain so we started on full-wets from the pits, but soon discovered it was not the right tyre choice, as the lap times were really slow. Once we were on intermediates, it was not too bad, and we were able to run pretty consistently in the middle segment of the race. We had been gambling all weekend, so at the second pit stop, we decided to try the slicks, but it was impossible. I think I lost 60 seconds on one lap alone, so I had to come in and change back to intermediates. It was not the best weekend, and the Spa luck didn’t work this time, but we’ll aim to go to Brazil now and push hard there.”

PAUL STODDART, Team Principal, Minardi Cosworth
    “We took a gamble today on the rain that didn’t come and started on full-wet tyres. From that point onwards, our race was effectively compromised. That said, both drivers, and indeed, the whole team, got through a difficult race and a most difficult weekend. Full marks to Tiago for scoring a well-deserved point, and my thanks to the whole Minardi Team, including factory-based staff in Faenza, for their support.

- Ends -

Chassis allocation – 2005 Belgian GP
    Doornbos (No 20) PS05/02
    Albers (No 21) PS05/01
    Spare car (Doornbos) PS05/03
  • Sometimes I get the distinct impression Paul isn't cut out for F1 - fancy congratulating a direct rival team's driver! - but I guess he can go back to being a fan now. ;)
  • May I say one thing?
    Bravo Tiago, that's what I expect a Minardi to be.
  • Tiago finished all the races so far - incredible for a new driver. And got a "real" point too!:o
  • This race illustrated why things need to change at Minardi. Under conditions when performance should be equalized, Jordan gave us a lesson in Performance.
    The car/package are just not up to the job. Lack of money will be given as an excuse but I have always had doubts about the lack of technical expertise under Stoddart. Expect major changes under Red Bull!
  • It was a strategy cockup Petrol. We were on the wrong tyres for a bit and by the time everything was sorted, the field had already left us behind. I think Doornbos also tried dry tyres later, only to find that they didn't work too well.
  • Expect major changes under Red Bull!
    Are we have a "State the blooming obvious" competition?

OK, you don't like stoddie, we know already!
  • We missed the golden opportunity to score points. Races like this don't come too often. It was a shock to see both Minardi's starting from the pit lane. I knew it could go wrong but then again many teams gambled and failed.

We were the only team not having times below 2 minutes in the race, we were almost 10 seconds from the top :spank:

Karthikeyan had 8th fastest lap time in the race ! It is obvious that in wet conditions we suck. :(
  • And there's the rub.

Something went particularly wrong on Sunday that wasn't just the tyre thing.

The times were absolutely appalling.

Good races by Kimi, Button, Webber and Montiero.

Encouragement award to the Fish. He should have been watching JV though on how to powerslide Eau Rouge in the wet.

Montoya is amazing. So much talent, such a little brain.

Enjoyable race though. For once, I was looking at the whole field, instead of wondering what was going on at the back. After the pit start and early tyre change, it wasn't worth thinking about.
  • We must have had dry-weather setup + something else very wrong.
  • Did anyone notice there were quite a few Dutch flags in the back straight after Eau Rouge ?
  • Who' moronic decision was it to start on full wets anyway? The track was wet. It wasn't raining. If it didn't rain within 5 laps the wet tyres would be screwed. If you wanted to make a punt, do a Jordan and qualify on wet settings then. But don't go for this half hearted strategy thats neither fish nor fowl!
  • as I posted elsewhere... it was pouring for the GP race...soakign wet pouring...they red flagged the race after a whole bunch of accidents that happened aroudn the track at essentially the same moment. The forecast for for rain. A BIG storm was supposed to hit for sure 1/2 hour into the race. the skys where balc with rain clouds.

As a betting man I would have said tit was going to be a long hard rain...Massimo said tehy rolled teh dice for rain and lost.
  • Welcome to mastermind. Our contestant today will be the Sawbones. Special subject; the bloody obvious.
  • Its all well and good to state that this was BLOODY obvious. Unfortunately it was'nt obvious to the WISE MEN on the prat perch was it?