Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Red Bull buys Minardi - confirmed

Friend in the paddock at Spa works for F1 Racing Magazine and has texted me that its just been officially announced. Details TBC

Comments

• how reliable is that friend?:o
  • He's in the paddock at every race and usually gets the inside line - he knew about Barrichello going to BAR before Hungary GP and Doornbos going to Minardi a week before announcement. Will let you know if any more info comes through before I set off for Spa - in approx 2 1/2 hours!
  • It's official !!! Reported by Atlas and Pitpass.
  • the question is - how will this changes our beloved team?:(
  • indeed the next few hours will tell whether this is something really good, or really bad

• Grandprix.com claims the deal is worth $35m and that Red Bull has agreed to keep the team in Italy in order to protect the jobs of the Minardi employees.
    Seems that no decision has been made yet regarding the name so we can hope for the best.
  • nobody in his right mind will change the name by removing MINARDI - its part of the history of F1.
  • Paul kept his word, when Max will not leave will. :rolleyes: The new "Minardi" will sign the new concorde agreement and will be the opposite of what Paul was all about. Max and Bernie are probably happy to get rid of him.

Maybe Doornbos can stay with the team next year. Horner is a big fan of him.
  • next year's line up: Speed and Liuzzi
  • Yeah probably.
  • nobody in his right mind will change the name by removing MINARDI - its part of the history of F1.
    So was 'Tyrrell,' 'Brabham,' 'Arrows,' 'Ligier,'..................etc. etc.

At any rate this means the team is now in the camp of the group wishing to essentially keep the status quo which has seriously exacerbated the money issues which have been hashed over ad nauseum here.
  • Well, if they will have one non-American driver and factories in Europe. I don't see what would be the point in renaming the team yet. So I bet it will be Red-Bull Minardi next year :)
  • I just saw the news, I'm still in a little bit of shock at the moment. I think we should all try to be calm and wait to see how things will unfold, don't bid farewell just yet people...
  • fully agree
    and whether it's fondmetal minardi or european minardi or red bull minardi is not a big issue
  • I am waiting on orders from Faenza at the moment.
  • some news guys...

Offical statement from REDBULL

SEPTEMBER 10, 2005
    Red Bull confirms Minardi purchase

Red Bull has announced that an agreement was reached whereby, from November 1 Red Bull GmbH will take over all the company shares of the Minardi Formula 1 team and will be responsible for running the team. Red Bull will therefore run two Formula 1 teams from the start of the 2006 season onwards. The second team will be positioned as a "Rookie Team" and this and the current Red Bull Racing will operate independently of one another and compete against one another on the track.

Red Bull says that the reason for the move is to help Red Bull place its drivers.

"Red Bull has more talented drivers than it has available cockpits," the statement said. "This meant there were only two ways of helping up-coming drivers: either place them in other teams or to increase the number of cockpits available to us. After much careful thought, Red Bull decided to go with the second of these options.

"Looking at the current state of Formula 1 we feel that the second team will be able to maintain its current assets while also being able to generate its own income in the future, in order to become almost self-financing.

"This acquisition also means that Red Bull now has a second vote in any matters raised regarding the future of Formula 1."

This last point is very significant as it will now be only a matter of time before Minardi signs up to the revised Concorde Agreement. This may encourage other waverers to jump to Ecclestone camp.

Ultimately this will not really help the political atmosphere in F1 because the fundamental inequalities in the system will remain and so we are likely to see a year or two of calm and then more negotiations about what to do at the end of the next Concorde Agreement in 2012. By then it is possible that the Formula One group will be floated on the stock exchange.

http://www.grandprix.com/gif/gpnavbar_news_s1.gif
  • I am waiting on orders from Faenza at the moment.
    you are entitled to your own opinion, soldier. :hehe:
  • I know but at this point I have to fall back on the old adage:

"The devil is in the details"

What will GCM's role be?

Will the Club structure still exist?

Will the name Minardi still exist?

Too many unanswered questions but I will say thanks to Paul for making sure Faenza was safe.

But had I know all I had to come up with was $35 million to buy he Team .....
  • YOU WILL SUPPORT THIS TEAM UNTIL i SAY OTHERWISE, YOU GOT THAT PRIVATE!!!:hehe:

Anyway it's almost 4:00am so bedtime for me, goodnight, aternoon or morning, where ever you are...

[Edited on 10/9/2005 by TasM]
  • next year's line up: Speed and Liuzzi
    That's the plan, confirmed by Dr. Helmut Marko.
  • Just got off the phone with James Gilbride... it is VERY much confirmed.

"A bit of a shock to the team" he promoses more details when we get together tommorrow.

.... I have an idea cooking....
  • I hope this is not the end!!

Pls RBR, keep the Minardi name and keep it in Faenza!!! And Pls give back power to GCM.
    Next few weeks will be hell!!
  • according to PR I read it will be based in Faenze and all the guys stay. New name not confirmed but could be RBR-Minardi-Team USA.

that means that Scott Speed may have a seat... and he's a good kid....

again, self serving for me in the USA.
  • I am really sad.

I hope they keep our name.

I just have to keep thinking this is for the best.

GCM with young talent keeping his name seems like a good fit.

I hope the boys in the factory are coping.

Interesting race/s ahead. GOod luck to our current drivers.:(
  • I received a phone call today - from whom is not important right now.

I was told the deal was made 2 weeks ago. The deal was orchestrated by Bernie and Max to get rid of PS. There is no concern for Faenza and the name will be changed. It was a truly depressing call.

I hope it was unfounded but certain things rang true.

Let us pray that the worst scenario does not come to fruition.

FORZA MINARDI

FORZA FAENZA

FORZA GIAN CARLO

SEMPRE MINARDI
  • "SEMPRE MINARDI"

This is the bit that scares. Let's hope it will be, but I fear it will not.

A sad day. :(:(:(:(

[Edited on 11/9/2005 by oznomad]
  • While the prospect of a proper financed Minardi team sounds good, a few things trouble me.

Firstly, with the team now being owned by Red Bull, Minardi's history for spotting great talents will be lost to Red Bulls history of plonking average drivers with energy drink money into seats. It's a situation like Benetton/Renault - unless Briatore manages you, don't think you'll be driving with them. This doesn't bode well for Albers and Dornboos. Here we have two mega talents, both capable of holding their heads up in Formula 1, but potentially both without a drive in 2006.

Secondly are the workers. RB claim that they will stay in Faenza and maintain everyone’s jobs, but they aren’t the most respected mob when it comes to keeping their word. I doubt they would be too interested in spending money on development for two teams, meaning Minardi could just become a second string Red Bull team, or a third string Ferrari!

And finally of course is Minardi’s legacy and fan base. Minardi are everybody’s second favorite team. To take away that ‘underdog’ tag and name the team something like ‘Red Bull Junior’ or ‘Team USA’ would change the team from the underdog to the dogs breakfast. I believe it would hurt a lot of people around the world, from Faenza (probably all of Faenza) and beyond to see 20 years of history brought to an abrupt end in place of a corny marketing ploy. Maybe it’s time Dietrich Mateschitz, Dany Bahar, Christian Horner and co. were informed that there is more to motor racing than motorhomes and trophy girls. At the end of the day, it’s the fans that matter and I think I speak for us all when I say the fans want to see Minardi!

Forza.
  • Minardi aren't 'EVERYONES' 2nd favourite team. For alot of people Minardi are their favourite team. Who else is out their to support.

Plus I think Redbull did well by most of the Jaguar staff in their takeover. Their word will be true. Just wondering why they haven't mentioned the team name yet. For us it's a big deal and the involvement of GCM. But RBR have got to see the experience that GCM has, much like everyone else before. They're going to need him there I feel if they truly want to run them as seperate teams.