Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

BYE BYE?

If Paul has just sold our soul to Red Bull, I'll better bid farewell to all of you.:(

It's been nice talking to you here and making new friends but that will be the end of it.:(

And I was just short of my 2000th post.

Thanking you RJ as I have been a follower of FM.com from the days of Rivals.

Comments

• we don't know yet....

if the only thing that has changed is the owner.. well just another chapter in minardi history (Briatore, Rumi, Stoddart, Red Bull etc)
  • Lets wait and see what the purchase brings - No-one is clear exactly what will happen to the team, name, factory, car, drivers etc etc. All is speculation. We live in hope
  • The sale will serve to show who the real Minardi fans are. I have a good idea who'll be sticking around. On the plus side the team's staying in Faenza. We'll have to wait and see who will run the team. My Bets on Steiner, he's Italian. Peronally I'm less than sanguine at the possibility of running RBR castoffs.
  • I am encouraged by your high hopes, after all I can reach my 2000th post then!:D
  • No matter the outcome it has been a pleasure discussing F1 with all of you considering I'm in the US and only know one person else besides my dad that watches F1 where I live.

Heres to high hopes.
    Forza Minardi!

Also Forza Albers an Doornbos for their qualifying efforts today.
  • telstat.... sheesh, I'm in the US as well and know quite a few who watch F1... it's those of us that don't think that a stock car is not a stock car if it uses old technology like a 4 barrel carb and some rope as a safetly mechanism to hold the hood down! It's the cutting edge stuff that's cool. e.g, F1

Neil, I have always been impressed with your posting. I have read them eagerly in the past. A cahnge in name with the same hardworking crew CAN be good! Now is when it might prove worthwhile to see OUR team rise up through the ranks. Of Course, time will tell when all the specifics come out in the wash... but at this junture we should all just keep our fingers crossed. I would hope we could change your mind. One day you could say that "I was a Minardi fan back when..."

James, and I know you read these, chin up, our metal is proven through adversity. Change can be good. Windows of opportunity are always presented in times like these.
  • oh no!! :(:(:(:(:(:(
  • hey, I just had some Brasilians try to trade their shirts with me for a Minardi team shirt! One gilr was even baring her breasts!

My point: There is no reason to be sad in Brasil when so many have such a postive attitude (and especially the ones willing to show it):P
  • telstar.... sheesh, I'm in the US as well and know quite a few who watch F1... it's those of us that don't think that a stock car is not a stock car if it uses old technology like a 4 barrel carb and some rope as a safetly mechanism to hold the hood down! It's the cutting edge stuff that's cool. e.g, F1
    Im just saying that it is harder to find F1 fans around here. It may get better once the Champ Car race returns to Houston but currently all we have is low level stock car racing an NHRA. Not quite the racing that you find a lot of F1 fans and Indy sure didnt help F1 popularity.
  • Good bye Minardi team :(
  • Not the time to bail out yet, is it?

One key objective met - team stays in Faenza, with existing staff. That immediately rules out the Tyrrell style scenario, which is good. Makes it more of a Benetton to Renault sort of thing.

That leaves two to go - keeping the Minardi name, and keeping GCM involved. You can't be hopeful, Red Bull are not exactly the sort of crew to respect tradition and history. And who wants to be anyone's second string? But we'll see.

And who would be the true fans - those who stay, or those who go?
  • Neil, I have always been impressed with your posting. I have read them eagerly in the past.
    thanks...

i am very impressed by all the spirituality in here - we seem like a family - it's too sad if the name MINARDI at least doesn't stay with the team. If it stays, we'll stay, if not, we'll leave. It no use supporting Red Bull but it will be fun supporting Minardi Red Bull! Gian Carlo, please do something!
  • Its very sad to see Paul go.

Minardi have stuggled on for a long time, but I have always hoped that they would develop into a major team and be fighting for the constructors championship.

Im not sure that this will be possible as Red Bull B team
    (or will that be the ferrari C team.) :(

Will faenza be allowed to develop anything new without the main team getting first option?

Will GCM still be involved?

Will we even be able to pick our own drivers??

Red Bull can buy a factory and some great staff but they cannot buy my support.

Im not walking away at this stage because I don't know enough about how things will work out.

If Minardi still have a chance to develop independently and have the same spirit then all will be well.

If not maybe someone better will but the team.:P

• Now it's just a game of wait and see. Having Red Bull just buy the seats would have been preferable.

That's not to say that all is lost. If Faenza stays and the Minardi name soldiers on, I'm willing to welcome the new owner. Give GCM a role of some sorts, a degree of technical and racing freedom - heck, I'll buy their energy drinks.

Just too much confusion to make a call at this point. Some people are already writing the obituary - don't be so hasty. Let's sit tight and see what kind of a team appears to the grid in 2006.
  • I agree - well, apart from the bit about drinking the stuff. I could never do that, even if they hired GCM to be team principal, turned Faenza into a facility to rival the McLaren place, and appointed Pierluigi Martini to their board of directors.
  • Well my first reaction is sorrow for Doorknobs and Albers. They are two genuine talents, and have just been fired.

After that...........well, of course we will all try, won't we?

But at the end of the day, I suspect that there will be general disenchantment, mainly due to the absence of a sense of desperation. Whichever way you cut it, the tem will be a false thing. With poilicy determined eslewhere, it won't matter what talent resides within the team, the best will end up in the A team, and the rest will be a nursery. The cars will be at the back, but there won't be any spirit with it.

What it most greiving though, is that this is the direction that F1 is heading. B teams smack of a corporate look to the grid. Four, or five real teams, and their lackeys. Minardi is just the first.

My dear Sawbones is wrong. there will be nothing of Minardi to stay loyal to.

At least Matt will be back.
  • I guess petrol is referring to the australian contingent.

He's probably right...

We liked our independent abrasive little underdog, now we'll end up with a cheap corporate yes-man.

Stoddart, I hope your crappy carrier was worth it.

Don't worry I'll be hanging around around to see the nature of the catastrophe, and always have a soft spot for the factory at faenza.
  • I think it's too early to tell. Don't make statmnets you might regret folks. IF, and that's a big IF, RBR let's this "new" team run itself as a indepedant profit center and keeps all the guys who have been working under these hard, tight budget conditions, who know what to do with an extra $1M or so... who have been FORCED to be effecient..then the team could move forward on it's own. If is is run like most German/Austrian companies with a centralized management that stifles innovation.. then it will be a failure. There is quite a unique opportuniyt right now for Red Bull to play ther cards right and field and excelletn team that knwos WHAT it needs and is used to operating in surviaval mode. It would be follish, no STUPID, for them to NOT take advantage of the current situation to develop marketshare by letting the team independant and let it grow. IF the new Minardi team did better than the currecnt RBR team it would get more attention from the press talking to RBR about how they feel about the 2nd stringers doing bettter... this would be good: get's them on the air! free aritime is worht lotsa cash. Let's wait and see how smart or stupid the RBR folks are. I think it would be a huge mistake if they came in and replaced any of the folks there right now. Let normal attrition take place...determine who is good and who is bad and who fits the new corporate philospophy and who know s how to generate revenue and advert cash. You know that this is really coming at an opportune time. Alonso is probably going ot win the championship and that in conjucntion wiht the announcement should get Minardi and RBR some aritime. ... again, free marketing is good. and again, it all depends on how smart the marketing people are at RBR. Growth companies tend to have pretty innovative talent. large companies... take HSBC for example, may have the guy who ins cahrge not even know what silverstone is... as was realted to me tonight by his brother in law....

so, it would be foolish to change anything as the Minardi TEAM may bring an differnt perspective to the situation that is new and innovative tha tthe current RBR buys have not thought of... a hard lesson learned back in the 80's by a lot of corporate takeovers...Keep the friggne management and at least learn what they know. keep the fan base, assume certain attrition of that, adn grow brand marketshare .....

Minardi, after all, truly stands for F1... it is the spirit of the team . Accountants talk about this as goodwill in the brand. hopefully SOMEONE AT RBR understands this. Maybe it's a good lesson they learned in Western Pennsylvania about local brand loyalty. never fire the pioneers. Consumers buy on personal realtionships from the pioneers. if the RBR guys forget what got Minardi their very loyal fan base and don't use that then they are not worth supporting becasue then it has become a boardroom deciision.... adn ti will all end in 2-5 years.

Let's see how this plays out....
  • okay, to be fair the RBR take-over at Jaguar was quite sympathetic, and if they fund the design of a V8 chassis that could be a good thing.

More annoyed that PS sold the team cheaply when it looked to be on the up, but the big movers of the sport were conspiring against him, next year was looking grim, maybe there was just too much stress for something that was meant to be a dream come true.
  • Matt Who? :hehe:
  • I can't sit here and wait for the worst to happen. RJ, I urge you or someone to organize a petition. If not, I will do it myself..
  • Stoddie:

"The commitments I wanted I've got - that the workforce will remain and the team will remain in Faenza and that to me was incredibly important.

"It makes me happy if Minardi is more successful under Red Bull than it was under me. I leave Minardi in a lot healthier state than when I bought it in 2000."

Stoddart added that he had received 41 approaches for Minardi since he took over the team in 2001.

(source: BBC)

No-one can bail out yet, despite the B team thing. If the technical core remains Faenza, if Minardi is incorporated into the name, it's Minardi. GCM will hopefully have a consultative role.

We have been waiting for a big sponsor for bloody years and they were never coming. The real options were:

- continue to stumble along
    - go bust
    - be bought out.

I know which I prefer. Keep the faith. Forza Minardi!
  • Lets wait and see. If the team moves away from the low rent project we had with Stoddart, back to its innovative roots. Then progress will be made. A decent budget should also result in the nonsensical decision to run a rev limited V10 being shelved. Lets get the Cossie V8 and design a new car for next year. Lets face it Minardi need a budget of $50 million a year. Small change for Dr Mateschitz, but out of reach for Mr Stoddart.
  • I'm gonna keep my powder dry on the tribute thing, though Fox's comments are quite nice.

It is more than a little irksome that the Californian telephone club keeps going on about inside information, but never actually says anything. They're starting to sound like whinging Poms.

But here it is "I CHALLENGE PAUL STODDART TO EITHER COME ON HERE, OR TO SUBMIT TO A SEARCHING INTERVIEW BY OUR RESIDENT HACK, AND TELL THE BLOODY TRUTH ABOUT EVERYTHING".

Simon, I am available by phone hookup if you need an interpreter.
  • I can't see Red Bull being interested in innovative technical roots - as someone here pointed out, all they've proved so far in F1 is thart they couldn't tell a Bernoldi from a Raikkonen, that they can paint a Jag, and that you can't trust their word - just ask Pitchforth and Purnell.

In their involvement in motorsport, Red Bull have continually proven themselves illiterate in the areas of F1 we love - technical innovation, real driver talent, underdog spirit, stoic endurance, even Italian style.

Red Bull are really a bit naff, and always will be. Their veins just don't run with motor oil, and they never will.
  • Bernie, I guess this wasn't the sponsorship you were working on??;):(
  • now what will i drink in my red wodka? it won't be RedBullshite if they drop the name Minardi..

:(
  • Rockstar makes a better drink anyway. Do they sell that in Dutchland?

Better yet, drink rum instead. :D
  • Biker, no it is certainly not. I'm going to try ot talk to him in Hannover in a couple days.. he's the guy that owns the Netzero car in NASCAR.