Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Mateschitz: The name will not be Team USA

According to the Reuters article quoted earlier
Red Bull conduct a driver search programme in the United States and their main team recently confirmed Californian Scott Speed as their test and reserve driver for 2006.

"Not for the time being. For an all-American team we need a car manufacturer, an engine supplier with a U.S. origin, we need two drivers and unless we have those, an all-American team makes no sense because it's not true," he said.

"The positioning for the Minardi team is rather that of a rookies' team for our junior drivers."

Full article
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=motorSportsNews&storyID=URI:urn:newsml:reuters.com:20050910:MTFH27898_2005-09-10_16-27-36_L10409179:1

Comments

• Also in that article:

Mateschitz said three areas had yet to be decided: the management of the team, the drivers and the team's future name. "We are still thinking about that," he said.

Time for a petition to keep the Minardi name/install GCM as manager.
  • well, that sucks
  • well, that sucks
  • then how does that jive with this press release?

RED BULL TO ACQUIRE MINARDI

FAENZA, ITALY, September 10, 2005 – It is today announced that an agreement has been reached whereby Red Bull GmbH will acquire 100 per cent of the shares in the Minardi Team by no later than November 1, 2005.  The Minardi F1 Team will continue to operate in its existing guise, with the same driver, sponsor and personnel arrangements, for the remaining rounds of the 2005 FIA Formula One World Championship.

“From a purely personal standpoint, I am going to be very sad to leave this Paddock and the sport I love,” Minardi Team Principal, Paul Stoddart, commented today at the Spa-Francorchamps circuit, where the Faenza squad is preparing for tomorrow’s Belgian Grand Prix.  “I have always said, however, that I would consider selling the team if a serious potential buyer could meet certain key conditions.

“Specifically, I wanted to be convinced of the following: (1) there was sufficient personal commitment and commercial backing in place to move the team to a level of competitiveness that I could not; (2) the team would continue to be based in Italy; and (3) the majority of team personnel would have a stable future.  After detailed discussions with Dr Mateschitz’s representatives, I am satisfied that Red Bull meets all of these criteria, and on that basis, I have agreed to sell the team.

“Finally, I want to thank everyone at Minardi for their unflagging support over the five years of my ownership.  It may be the smallest team currently on the Formula One grid, but it definitely possesses the largest heart.  It would be entirely fitting, and not beyond the realms of possibility, to see Fernando Alonso, who started his career with Minardi in 2001, crowned as the youngest-ever Formula One World Drivers’ Champion here tomorrow.”
  • It would be entirely fitting, and not beyond the realms of possibility, to see Fernando Alonso, who started his career with Minardi in 2001, crowned as the youngest-ever Formula One World Drivers’ Champion here tomorrow.”
    In this scenario I don't give a shit about Fernardo. Montoya will be a pussy if he doesn't leave Kimi go past him at the first corner.
  • as the teams going to be independent they should keep the name.

I'm happy they got bought but admit Minardi won't be the same if the name changes and nor will F1.

Also it frees Stoddart to replace Mosley.
  • RJ - Time to take the Drink X link off the main page mate. :P

Do you think Red Bull's latest acquisition would mean they'd have any interest in a Minardi fan club backed Australian Formula Vee team? (big news coming soon about that too...) :angel:
  • Does the firm manufacturing Red Bull have any other products, or clear plans to launch one?

As RJ points on the front page, naming the team "Red Bull Light" or "Red Bull USA" doesn't make any sense. Two RB teams on the grid would be confusing and a bit comical as well. Thus, I'm not too afraid of that.. If they are a one-product show, we're quite safe I think.

However, if they have something like a new spring water called "Atozza", then there's a risk that they'll use this opportunity to push the new product. Which I would not be at all happy about.

Another risk is a sale of name; suppose RB sells the right to name the team to a major brand. In this case, we could see team 'Hyundai' or 'Philips' come online for 2006. That, however, is not very likely in my opinion for multiple reasons. However, it is a possibility..

Hopefully the name Minardi will live on!
  • The new name will RED BULL LIGHT

[Edited on 11/9/2005 by hasek2]
  • Also in that article:

Mateschitz said three areas had yet to be decided: the management of the team, the drivers and the team's future name. "We are still thinking about that," he said.

Time for a petition to keep the Minardi name/install GCM as manager.
    Hey, don't push it :)
    Just keeping the name will do i for now.
  • The new name will RED BULL LIGHT

[Edited on 11/9/2005 by hasek2]
    Try Red Bull Shite
  • Jaguar = RedBull Racing

Colour Scheme
    Original version

Minardi = RedBull Junior Racing

Colour Scheme
    SugarFree version
  • Actually, what about this for a name...

Minardi Young Lions

or if RedBull must be in the name...

RedBull F1 Young Lions

That way we can still use the Minardi Logo :)

This name came from Australian V8 SuperCar series where at one stage we had the senior team Holden Racing Team and the junior development team of Holden Young Lions (As GM Holden have a lion as their logo). I think it makes sense and could work well.

team america rules!!! :hehe:
  • Uh oh.

From autosport-atlas.com...

Red Bull's Helmut Marko has confirmed that plans are in place to shut down the Minardi Faenza factory and bring the company's two teams together in England by 2008.

"We will stay for at least another two years, I would say, in Faenza," Marko told Autosport-Atlas. "After that it's open. But in 2008 you have the regulations where you can supply various teams. I think the real cost effect will come in 2008.

"We won't have in 2008 one team in Italy, one team in England. I would say it's sure they will be at one location, and the most logical one. We can't move our wind tunnel. Have you ever seen it? You should see it at Bedford, it's unbelievable. It's one of our main assets. So England is the obvious choice."

Red Bull's relocation plans do not necessarily mean that all the employees will lose their jobs, and some could move to the UK. However, the majority of the workers at Faenza today were born and bred in the region, and family commitments make relocation impossible.

In addition, there will clearly be no need for many of the factory-based staff involved on the production side if a Red Bull Racing chassis is used.

The news will come as shock to Minardi's Italy-based employees, since Paul Stoddart has always insisted that he would only sell his team to a buyer who would protect his staff, and Red Bull has clearly only made a short-term commitment.

In contrast, Eddie Irvine, whose firm bid was trounced by Red Bull at the last minute, has always said that he would prefer to base his Russian-financed team in Italy, even if he has to start from scratch.

Speaking to Autosport Atlas, Stoddart said: "There's two to three years guaranteed for the staff and the presence in Italy, and that's from [Dietrich] Mateschitz himself. I'm pretty happy with that. After that they have to prove themselves. I only ever gave them two years. I said, 'Look, I'll give you two years, and I'll make a decision in two years.' They're pretty much in the same boat. I think they'll remain there. Red Bull are clearly interested in building their market share in Italy, and that's a good way to do it."

However, Stoddart appeared genuinely surprised when told of Marko's comments.

"I've not heard that, so I can't comment. Don't assume that [regulation permitting] shared technology is a given. Even without me around there are a lot of other people who don't agree with that, so we'll see."

Stoddart is to run his two-seater programme from Ledbury and says jobs will be available there: "Whereas before I've been able to share people with the F1 team, that will now need a bigger staff dedicated to it. The chances are that opportunities for employment will arise at Ledbury."

• Well, what did you expect? That's pretty much the end of that then, isn't it?

I hope that GCM teams up with Minardi old boy Adrian Campos, and between them they turn the Campos Racing GP2 team into a truly crack outfit. That I could support.
  • Nooooooooo!!!!

:o:o

Minardi must stay in Faenza !!!

[Edited on 13/9/2005 by Walker]
  • Any of you surprised ?

Red Bull doesn't care a thing about heritage and tradition.

A simple petition won't help here (although I will of course sign them)

:spank:

Read my thread 'Red Bull and promises' to see that covered in details....not even
    massive protests in the mainstream press and solidarity throughout German speaking football clubs helped reverse the braindead Red Bull decisions there...

[Edited on 13/9/2005 by bladerunner]