Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Rule changes for 2006? Yeah, sure, why not?

As you may have noticed, F1 has been quite fun this season. Not as great as 2003, arguably (see that season on DVd and look at the first three races plus Britain, Hockenheim, Hungary, Canada, Nurburgring, Suzuka and US and tell me you don't see a good season!), but still cracking stuff. You might think the rules should theefore stay the same. No...

(From autosport-atlas.com)
Formula One team bosses and drivers were called to a meeting in Suzuka on Saturday night in which a controversial new raft of proposals put forward in an e-mail by the FIA was discussed.

The suggestions, due to go to the World Council in two weeks and set to be introduced in 2006, are understood to be more radical than expected and cover testing, race organisation and qualifying for next year.

Senior sources in the pitlane revealed there are plans to scrap third cars and t-cars and have pitstops during the race with just 12 crew members working on the car and only one tyre changer.

The qualifying format is also understood be a complicated solution to the knock-out format suggested by Bernie Ecclestone, with fuel level calculations that could cause major confusion.

It is understood that ten cars would be knocked out in the first 30 minutes, with free fuel for the race, then the remainder would have to fuel up for the race and be weighed before qualifying then top up to the original level.

Minardi boss Paul Stoddart said he had seen the proposals and was critical of them.

"He [FIA president Max Mosley] has sent over some proposals," Stoddart said at Suzuka on Saturday. "I just have no comment on it, and a no comment from me means it's a crock of shit."

-----
See why I'll miss Stoddart? A contradiction in one sentence perhaps, but a damn fine quote at the end there.

Tyre changes aren't needed- just bring back slicks, you pillocks.

And if a driver crashes into the barriers heavily on a saturday, you won't see them in qualifying at all. That's no good.

And leave qualifying alone! FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! Do you see- the rules were fine in 2003, and people loved the races, and the cars weren't too fast, and the audiences were good. What the FIA has done now is flounder and make a pigs ear of everything. AGAIN.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Comments

• Has anyone evr seen why they are making these changes spelled out in a rationale fashion. How does any of these changes enhance the sport for either the TV viewing audience of the spectators at the field?
  • This proposal on qualifying will never pass!

It's simply ridiculous!!!!!:spank:

What I call a mental masturbation!

[Edited on 8/10/2005 by manlio27]
  • its all about the TV audience; nothing else matters - the crowd at the track are there to allow the circuit to make some money back after Ecclestone has charged it millions to hold the GP
  • "He [FIA president Max Mosley] has sent over some proposals," Stoddart said at Suzuka on Saturday. "I just have no comment on it, and a no comment from me means it's a crock of shit."

Classic.
  • Nice to see PS on top form!

Will be a shame if he isnt about next season.
  • PS has a way with words. I admire him for that.
  • its the end of two eras.

The Minardi era 1985 - 2005

The end of PS era 2001 - 2005

Could there be a PS 2 era?