Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Renault boys Tribute to Minardi

From Autosport-

Renault drivers Giancarlo Fisichella and Fernando Alonso have paid tribute to the Minardi team, with which they each made their Formula One racing debut, as the Italian team faces their last Grand Prix before moving to the hands of Red Bull.

The Austrian company purchased Minardi from current owner Paul Stoddart with the aim of establishing a junior team to Red Bull Racing. And after 21 seasons in Formula One, the last privateer team will be gone, and its name likely changed too.

Fisichella, who made his F1 debut with Minardi in 1996, and Alonso, who drove his first F1 season with Minardi in 2001, both admitted the Chinese Grand Prix will mark for them the end of an era.

"I am very sad to see them go," Fisichella said. "My first test was there, my first F1 race too, and I have to say thank you to Giancarlo Minardi for the opportunity. The atmosphere was fantastic, with the Italian mechanics, and we laughed all the time. It is a great team, and they will always have a place in my heart."

Spaniard Alonso added: "I think Minardi has always been an example for a lot of people. It is not the power of money that gives them their fighting spirit, it is the power of the people. They were a good thing for F1: now, it is often all about business, but with Minardi, everything was just about motor racing."

Comments

• Disappointed that Alonso - again - failed to mention Giancarlo Minardi. That's just plain rude. I guess at least he said something. :o

But well done to Fisi, that's classy.
  • Just beat me to Ger!!!

You can delete my post on it.

Alonso didn't say anything about GCM but I love his quotes on the team.
  • They are talking in the past !! For them Minardi is there only for just one more race... They should have mentioned the petition and their support of it!
  • They should have mentioned the petition and their support of it!
    Who?Autosport or Fisi and Fernando. There is a big chance that both drivers are not aware that there was a petition in the first place.
  • Its about time - strange about no GCM comments from Alonso.

Now all the other former Minardi drivers need to chime in!
  • Disappointed that Alonso - again - failed to mention Giancarlo Minardi. That's just plain rude. I guess at least he said something. :o

But well done to Fisi, that's classy.
    I think you're overreacting a bit. It's not like it was GCM himself who gave Alonso his break. It were Flavio's bucks, nothing less nothing more. It just turned out right.

He thanks the team, which is more than enough. GCM isn't holy you know ;P
  • Actual;ly GCM found Alonso and DID give him his first shot in F1. GCM, if memory serves me, had to sell his contract to Flav as he needed the money.
  • I also don't see it as no big deal that FA didn't include GCM's name in the quote.

What would be worse is that no quote came at all.
  • Actual;ly GCM found Alonso and DID give him his first shot in F1. GCM, if memory serves me, had to sell his contract to Flav as he needed the money.
    I just searched for it again, because I wasn't 100% sure anymore. But it looks like I was right.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/story_21048.shtml
    Briatore, who is also Alonso's manager, was full of praise for the driver he has helped on the road to stardom.

"This year, Fernando's one mistake was in Canada (when he crashed out). After that he has been fantastic," said the Italian, who in 2001 bought Alonso his F1 debut at Minardi.
    I googled up some other articles that claimed the same in a matter of minutes.

[Edited on 10/10/2005 by Stan]
  • Grateful for comments?!

Bah!

[Edited on 10/10/2005 by Lease]
  • What I am talking about is WAAAAY back in time. It was in the late '90s. GCM was asked about the next rising star in F1. His reply was that the driver he had his eye on (and signed if memory serves me correct) was FA.

Somebody HAS to have that quote.
  • The point is. Flavio's money is what got him there. There isn't much reason for him to be especially thankful to GMC.

I think mister Minardi mostly focussed on Italians anyway, but what you're saying could be correct.
  • Not Flavs money - Flav just spent Renault's money on him (Alonso) and benefitted financially by being his manager. Flav is an employee of Renault - a very wealthy one I might add.

Had GCM kept control of his (Alonso) contract then HE would have been paid by Renault and would have been a very wealthy man!
  • What I am talking about is WAAAAY back in time. It was in the late '90s. GCM was asked about the next rising star in F1. His reply was that the driver he had his eye on (and signed if memory serves me correct) was FA.

Somebody HAS to have that quote.
    Correct!!

But, it was Adrian Campos who brought Alonso to GCM's attention.
    Adrian was managing Fernando back then !!!
  • Had GCM kept control of his (Alonso) contract then HE would have been paid by Renault and would have been a
    very wealthy man!
    If if if if if if if...

If you get my point. As David Coulthard once said: "If my aunte had balls, she would have been my uncle."

The point is without Flav's (or Renault's money whatever you like best) Alonso would have never ever been in that seat. But then again, that's a perfect example of "if if if if if" as well I guess.

[Edited on 11/10/2005 by Stan]
  • and if my granny had balls she would have been a pinball, stan

ps well done Giancarlo, nice thing to say.
  • "I think Minardi has always been an example for a lot of people. It is not the power of money that gives them their fighting spirit, it is the power of the people. They were a good thing for F1: now, it is often all about business, but with Minardi, everything was just about motor racing."

hey folks. I think you guys are missing the point and getting all wrapped up in the GCM issue. Jeez, read this comment! It is succint and to the point. IT'S ABOUT RACING AND THE LOVE OF IT! That fighting spirit comes from the name an founder and transfers down to the people. Without good leadership to inspire the people there would be no fighting spirit. This is no about bashing PS or not crediting GCM. It's about what the MINARDI name and legacy stands for... a racing spirit not about money... about pure competitiion as an underdog... about people on the team making due with what they have and being a contender in F1.

I think they are both excelletn comments and we should send them both a thank you from the whole damn board! They didn't need ot say anything and this sound like very well thought out words from the heart from both of them.

....and I think those two statements capture Fisi' personal feelings and FA really sums up something all Minardi Fans feel. It a bout racing. it's about the people on the team. damn that's good!
  • One driver who I'm sure would have paid tribute as he raced for Minardi in F2 and ended his career with them would have been Michele Alboreto.

Well done fisi. Hope Fisi wins the championship before he retires.

Don't know what to make of Alonso's comment.