Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Minardis new name

According to Austrian newspaper 'Salzburger Nachrichten' , the new name of Minardi will be "Squadra Toro Rosso" - italien for Team Red Bull.

RJ, how serieus are they?

Comments

• generally perceived to be one of the more serious newspapers of the country still this sounds too ridiculous to be true
  • Doesn't sound that stupid to me, MAteschitz always said that Minardi would be "the Italien team" and should stay "the italien team". The team will also stay in Faenza for maybe 2 years, so the name makes sense.

Just my two cents.
  • Squadra Toro Rosso Minardi would be okay by me.
  • Minardi Torro Rosso would be okay...
  • Look, sod what Mateschitz does, we should just call it Squadra Minardi Toro Rosso. At the very least we'll have the satisfaction of knowing that we remember the glorious history.

It might catch on...get a few commentators using it.....bit of time....before you know it the team is Squadra Minardi to everyone except the fool writing the official press releases and the blazers at the FIA. That's how language works, it's the wishes of the population that triumph. They've got the guns but we've got the numbers.
  • :D:D:D

That's a brilliant idea!!! :D:D:D
  • catchphrase: if it comes out of Faenza, it's a Minardi :hehe:
  • Better name it Squadra Right Tossa in honour of Max, Bernie and Mateschitz
  • Grandprix.com:
    The new Red Bull-owned Minardi team is to be renamed Squadra Toro Rosso. The team, which will be run by former BMW Motorsport man Franz Tost, will be renamed after the takeover of Minardi is completed on November 1. It is not clear who will be driving for the team but one seat is expected to go to American Scott Speed and all the signs are that the team will try to push Tonio Liuzzi into the team, allowing Christian Klien to stay with Red Bull Racing, alongside David Coulthard. This is likely to upset some of the staff at Red Bull Racing, who believe that Liuzzi has a great deal more ability than Klien. The Austrian media however has been campaigning hard for Klien and Red Bull boss Dietrich Mateschitz has thus far been happy to calm the waters by giving way. This year the plan was originally for Klien and Liuzzi to share the second Red Bull but in the end Klien has had 15 races and Liuzzi four, which is hardly a fair arrrangement. This has obviously not be easy for Liuzzi and it will be interesting to see whether or not he stays with the team if he is faced with a future at Minardi. The Italian is believed to be on Dr Mario Theissen's shopping list and Liuzzi might decide that it is better to race with a team which appreciates him more.
  • @ silverghost, minardi
    It's a good idea to call keep calling it with the old name. It will be hard to convince all the journalists to keep calling the old name...but indeed a briliant idea.

@ All
    Imagine hundreds of letters, faxes etc saying:
    "We would like to point an error in your article / TV coverage. You missprinted / misprounounced the team Toro Rosso. It should read 'Minardi Toro Rosso'.

But I guess the logo etc. changes too....no more lion, just those bulls. I don' like the new name at all.

It has NO marketing value for Red Bull...unless there's a new drink called 'Toto Rosso' coming up...don't see that happening. It even confuses people who don't speak Italian.

This is bull-shit :)

Also,, I DON'T think it's a coincidence the name is semi-officially announced now that the petition arrived...Red Bull had to react...it's good we didn't wait longer and sent it in.

At least, they can't say they weren't / aren't aware of the petition.

Anyway, what's the idea of the site maintainer(s) ?

Should we await a reaction from Red Bull HQ to the petition ?

Do you think we will ever get a reaction other than a standard letter...I guess content will be similar to the answer e-mails some got when asking Red Bull about the name change.

Sad :(

[Edited on 14/10/2005 by bladerunner]
  • We might just be OK, if GCM stays, and if the cars continue to be truly Made In Faenza. When Rumi bought Osella Squadra Corse and renamed it Fondmetal F1, to me it was still Osella, in spirit at least. Many will feel the same about Minardi, even if renamed, if it is not running cast off customer chassis', and not too closely allied to RBR, in terms of driver selection and so on.

The name is an issue, but it is a worse issue if they choose something really daft. Anything with Red Bull or Rookie would have been tough to deal with, because they emphasise everything wrong with the new setup. It is better that Toro Rosso is not a Red Bull brand - it makes it a better shot at defining itself as a team identity distinct from the "mother team" (should that be "Muthaf***er team"?).

Anything Italianate we can work with. Back in the '80's, I always wished GCM had called the team Squadra Minardi, because Minardi Team sounded too English.

As Petrol said recently, Marko is the man to worry about. He's the one whose current role is in direct clash with GCMs area of expertise, he's the one who said Faenza would close, he's the one who will be picking drivers.
  • #The idea is as brilliant as simpel! I love it!
  • I like Minardi Toro Rosso actually... Mmmm...

[Edited on 14/10/2005 by Stan]
  • Yeah i Like Minardi Toro Rosso.

I think, in this very bad situation, the "Toro Rosso" label it's not the worst of all.
  • nah... if minardi goes, i'm off. not willing to be supporting some artificial acronym
  • the webmaster from minardi.de tried to sell his domain to RB... here's the reply:

Sehr geehrter Herr Uherek,

wir danken Ihnen für Ihre Anfrage und Ihr Angebot. Es freut uns, dass Ihr
    Kunde an einer Zusammenarbeit mit Red Bull interessiert ist und uns die
    Domain www.minardi.de verkaufen würde.
    Wir haben uns auf der Homepage auch ein wenig umgesehen und sie ist
    wirklich gut gelungen. Leider können wir Ihnen jedoch keine Zusage auf Ihr
    Angebot machen.

Nach unserem Erwerb des Minardi-Teams wird Red Bull den Namen Minardi nicht
    weiterführen. Aus diesem Grund macht eine Zusammenarbeit und ein Kauf der
    Website keinen Sinn für uns und kommt somit leider nicht in Frage.

Wir hoffen, Ihr Kunde findet Verständnis für unsere Entscheidung.

Wir wünschen Ihnen für die Zukunft weiterhin alles Gute und viel Erfolg.

Mit lieben Grüßen aus Fuschl am See,
    Red Bull GmbH

they arent' interested cause the name won't stay. :(
  • in all fairness: why was he trying to sell it anyway... what an opportunist...
  • He probably figured Minardi would finally have some money to spend now.
  • Toro.... Minardi is the lyon team
  • no Minardi in name, I 'm off, I will be true to my word.

• It has been confirmed by Red Bull.
  • I'll be off as well. RJ what about doing something on Faenza Football team. Is it still chairmaned by GCM?
  • I'll be off as well. RJ what about doing something on Faenza Football team. Is it still chairmaned by GCM?
    Sometimes I wonder if this website is actually about formula 1.
  • My main problem is the use ofSquadra as opposed to the Italian Scuderia. Clever marketting to use an italian name. It shows some recognition of the teams heritage.
    The name really is a figleaf though. The big question, as has already been asked, is who runs the team?
  • I guess if the same boys and girls (ie actual Minardi staff) which we dearly supported over the last few years are part of this Toro Rosso business, then they deserve our support more than ever. It will do them good to know that in different parts around the world they have a bigger and more passinate fan base then Ferrari, Renault and maybe even RBR.
    If they are not there..then that is a different story.

Nonetheless, this is a sad weekend!
    Bring her home boys (and girls)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Most mechanics will stay with the squadra (afaik).
    Imagine how they must feel when they find out you guys abandon them!!

They will think you guys only supported the name Minardi, NOT the team personell!!!
  • Very good point Minardius!

I still don't know what to do, but I love the idea of going on supporting the team, but only calling it "Minardi" or "Minardi Torro Rosso".

Let'S see...

• The idea of keep calling the team Minardi, even if Minardi Toro Rosso, is a great one and should not be forgotten.

To be honest, I guess that this Toro Rosso thing has something to do with the petition and all the noise we have done. Using an Italian name was probably the way they figure out to calm thing down, and reading the posts on this very forum you can see they have some success.

The bad side of this is that (at least seams to me) we wont get any further resulyts with the petition, but the good side is that in the end we achieved something. The `Italian market' was never mentioned before (the american market was), and things like TEAM USA were around. It really looks like a response to the movement that the people here has started. I guess that now we should consider very carefully our next move. We have some fire power, not much, so we should not waste it. Sadly I suppose that we should retreat on the "name" battle, as we have done the maximum damage possible on this side.

The next target could be "keep the tem in Faenza [long term]" (I now Blade, it's an almost lost battle). The best way to do it I guess is to keep supporting the team. If these guys really put some money there, results might come and new followers may arrive. And the thing will start to look serious...
  • I refuse to comment on this issue any further until I hear any more official news...
  • Guys....maybe the name "Minardi" was not for sale???

What if past/present management wanted to start again in another formula???

.......and maybe if there is a walkout by the other teams
    then if they have the 'goodwill' of the Minardi name that is at least worth a few bucks.

P.S. the new name sucks and is too long winded.