Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

CHINA GP weekend

Second practice session just ended. Here are the results:

------------------------------------------------------
1 P. De La Rosa McLaren 1:32.834
2 R. Zonta Toyota 1:32.977 +0:00.143
3 K. Raikkonen McLaren 1:34.092 +0:01.258
4 F. Alonso Renault 1:34.226 +0:01.392
5 J. Montoya McLaren 1:34.541 +0:01.707
6 G. Fisichella Renault 1:35.069 +0:02.235
7 J. Button BAR 1:35.072 +0:02.238
8 R. Barrichello Ferrari 1:35.116 +0:02.282
9 F. Massa Sauber 1:35.196 +0:02.362
10 D. Coulthard Red Bull 1:35.201 +0:02.367
11 V. Liuzzi Red Bull 1:35.306 +0:02.472
12 M. Webber Williams 1:35.312 +0:02.478
13 M. Schumacher Ferrari 1:35.599 +0:02.765
14 A. Pizzonia Williams 1:35.709 +0:02.875
15 T. Sato BAR 1:35.726 +0:02.892
16 C. Klien Red Bull 1:35.727 +0:02.893
17 J. Villeneuve Sauber 1:35.894 +0:03.060
18 R. Schumacher Toyota 1:36.051 +0:03.217
19 J. Trulli Toyota 1:36.079 +0:03.245
20 N. Kiesa Jordan 1:36.644 +0:03.810
21 R. Doornbos Minardi 1:36.993 +0:04.159
22 C. Albers Minardi 1:37.173 +0:04.339
23 T. Monteiro Jordan 1:37.435 +0:04.601
24 N. Karthikeyan Jordan 1:37.467 +0:04.633

This might be our last weekend :(

End of an era.

[Edited on 14/10/2005 by Walker]

Comments

• From TOMS:
    Chinese G.P. - Free practice

CHINESE PUZZLE

SHANGHAI, CHINA, October 14, 2005

The opening practice sessions for the 2005 Chinese Grand Prix got under way today at the Shanghai International Circuit with Minardi F1 Team drivers Robert Doornbos and Christijan Albers aiming to make the strongest possible showing in the final Grand Prix weekend of the Faenza squad’s 21-year stint in the FIA Formula One World Championship. Both drivers’ cars were fitted with further development components, to help maximise their performance potential around the 5.451-km circuit. Specifically, the final evolution of the Minardi Cosworth PS05 for the 2005 season features a new diffuser and new rear brake ducts. Combined once again with the excellent power and reliability of the Cosworth TJ2005 V10 engine, the “Shanghai-specification” chassis helped the Dutch duo make a positive start to the weekend, Doornbos completing the first day with the 21st fastest time, and Albers, the 22nd. Both drivers reported the track to be particularly slippery in the braking areas in the early part of the day, although the situation improved as the day progressed.

ROBERT DOORNBOS

Position: 21
    Time: 1 min 36.993 secs Chassis: PS05/02

“It’s great to be back in Shanghai, having made my F1 debut here last year as a test driver. It’s a great circuit and a wonderful facility, so well done to the Chinese for what they’ve accomplished. We struggled a little with set-up this morning and were therefore off the pace compared with the others. This afternoon, however, we made progress, and working with my engineer, Riccardo Adami, we were able to go in the right direction. There’s definitely more time to come, and we’re pushing hard”.

CHRISTIJAN ALBERS

Position: 22
    Time: 1 min 37.173 secs Chassis: PS05/01

“We had a reasonable opening day. The problem to start with was that I didn’t really know the track, but now, with 30 laps completed, I feel much more confident with it. We still need to find a good set-up and improve the car further, but it’s only Friday. We’ll see what we can do tomorrow”.

PAUL STODDART, Team Principal, Minardi Cosworth

“Today saw the opening day of Minardi’s last Grand Prix, and no doubt after 340 World Championship races, emotions will be running high throughout the weekend. As usual, the drivers and team completed their full technical programme today, and when combined with the tremendous support from our technical partners, and in particular, Cosworth, we will continue to make progress throughout the weekend”.
    More pics:
  • Heartbreaking, ain't it?
  • Good to see him on the pit wall yet again - lets hope it bodes well for the future!
  • what future????

toro rosso?

it seems like a prostitution team! red district!:(
  • might as well called Minardi Famrhywers cause thats what Minardi will be doing thanks to RB.
  • SET FOR THE FINALE

SHANGHAI, CHINA, October 15, 2005 – The final qualifying session of the 2005 Formula One season saw Minardi F1 Team driver, Christijan Albers, secure 18th position on the grid for tomorrow’s Chinese Grand Prix, and team mate, Robert Doornbos, the 20th spot. Doorbos encountered a transmission problem at the beginning of Saturday’s first morning practice, but some inspired work by the Minardi mechanics saw the gearbox replaced in just over 30 minutes, and Doornbos back on track before the session had ended. Despite the grid positions, however, the Faenza squad has high hopes for tomorrow’s race, particularly as engine partner, Cosworth, has developed a new, more aggressive engine mode specifically for this event.

CHRISTIJAN ALBERS Best lap: 1 min 39.105 secs Position: 18th
    “It wasn’t a good qualifying session for us, and the track had changed a lot from this morning. We had an understeering car, and I also made several mistakes on the qualifying lap, so I’m not really happy with myself. Anyway, tomorrow is race day, and we’ll work hard between now and then to try and achieve the best possible result.”

ROBERT DOORNBOS Best lap: 1 min 39.460 secs Position: 20th
    “It’s been a busy day in the Minardi garage, as we had a gearbox problem this morning that reduced our available track time. Even with only a few laps running, though, I was able to find a good balance in the car, so we felt we were in good shape for qualifying. The lap started out well, as the initial sector time was good, but then I lost almost a second in the last sector, so we’ll have to find out what caused that. We’ll check the data and aim to make up for today with a good performance in the race tomorrow.”

PAUL STODDART, Team Principal, Minardi Cosworth
    “Despite a gearbox problem with Robert’s car in the first of today’s two practice sessions, the team completed its technical programme in preparation for tomorrow’s Grand Prix of China. Qualifying did not go quite as we had expected; however, both cars are carrying a heavy fuel load, which will hopefully pay dividends in the race.”

- Ends -
    Chassis allocation – 2005 GP of China
    Doornbos (No 20) PS05/02
    Albers (No 21) PS05/01
    Spare car (Albers) PS05/03
  • Neil - look, as Minardi fans we are probably done for. At least as we know it. Remember too that GCM is really trying to keep his friends, hell they are like family to him I am sure, employed and in F1. As long as Mr RB lets GCM work there he can shepard his workers and look out for them.

Oh, and still have a hand in F1 and keeping the Minardi dream alive.
  • One thing is certain: These guys know how to party!

• I wouldn't say they know how to party too well, too much of a sausage fest, and I'm not talking about the grill pic. Though they are at least off to a start with the wet tee contest.
  • Albers and MS had a coming together PRE RACE! Both are struggling to get the spare cars sorted.

Amazing - the look on Massimos face said it all.
  • SPEED TV just aired a short interview with GCM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • McLaren was slower as Renault !:o

So, what fell off of Albers' car? A wheel bolt or something ?????

Btw, Quig: what didi GCM say?
  • Effing swervemaker gave him no chance. Drove right across the track to get hit.

That guy is pure wanker.

• From TOMS:
    Chinese G.P. - The race

GRAND FINALE

SHANGHAI, CHINA, October 16, 2005

In the final race of an illustrious 21-year history of competing in the FIA Formula One World Championship, the Minardi F1 Team did what it has always done, and raced as hard as it could in today’s Grand Prix of China. When the chequered flag fell on the concluding race of the 2005 Formula One season, drivers Robert Doornbos and Christijan Albers had claimed 14th and 16th places respectively. The afternoon was not without incident for the Faenza squad, however, and particularly Albers, who had to start the race from the pit lane in the team’s spare car after a collision with Michael Schumacher’s Ferrari while proceeding to the grid. He then had to make an unscheduled pit stop four laps from the finish when a wheel nut came loose. Doornbos had a less eventful race, climbing as high as 13th just before the second of his two scheduled pit stops, but like Albers, lost track position as a result of making his first stop immediately prior to the first deployment of the Safety Car. Doornbos did derive some satisfaction, however from finishing the race just two seconds behind the Ferrari of Rubens Barrichello.

ROBERT DOORNBOS
    Position: 14
    Time: 1 min 36.894 secs Chassis: PS05/02
    “I said over the radio at the end of the race, ‘Thank you, Minardi, for giving me the chance to make my debut as a Formula One driver’. The race itself started spectacularly for us, and I think I did my best on cold tyres after the Safety Car incidents to pass both a Williams and Villeneuve’s Sauber a couple of times. I think I drove well and really enjoyed myself this afternoon. Let’s hope I can be back in Shanghai again next year and get a better result”.

CHRISTIJAN ALBERS
    Position: 16
    Time: 1 min 37.215 secs Chassis: PS05/01
    “I think everyone saw what happened on the formation lap, and I think it was a shame for both of us. To be honest, we had bad luck all day. I had to start the race in the spare car, which is not to the latest specification – it lacks power steering, for example – and on different tyres. Unfortunately, I lost one lap almost immediately, when I came out from my first pit stop behind the leaders, who were behind the Safety Car by that time for Montoya’s incident. Still, that’s life, but it’s also F1. It’s hard, and you have to get used to it. It will just make me determined to push even harder next year”.

GIAN CARLO MINARDI, Team Founder

“I want to thank our Technical Director, Gabriele Tredozi, for everything he has done to make the Minardi name synonymous around the world with competing with dignity and to the maximum level possible, given the available technical resources. Over the years, we have experienced a number of problems, but we’ve been able to deal with them thanks to the passion that has always existed within this team. I want to thank all the guys, at the races and at the factory, for the effort they have put in over these last 21 years. I also want to thank all the drivers, who have helped to make this team great, and all the sponsors and fans, who have supported us unstintingly”.

PAUL STODDART, Team Principal

“The tally is 340 Grands Prix, 21 seasons, 37 drivers and one World Champion, with perhaps more to come. That’s a pretty impressive record by any standards, and I’m proud of each and every member of the Minardi team. Together with all of our colleagues back at the factory in Faenza, this team has a heart and soul second to none. The words, “Never has so much been achieved by so few with so little,” can never have been as justified as they are with Minardi. Given that the team has survived against all odds over the years, competing with both dignity and passion while contributing so much to the FIA Formula One World Championship, today is a sad day. To our current drivers, Christijan and Robert, and to all the Minardi drivers and team members over the years, thank you very much for a job well done”.
  • Hmm... in GCM comments, no ref to P.Stoddart.
    Nonetheless.... a big thanks to all of the Minardi people for the best years of my F1 following!!!!!!!!!
  • I'll rewind the tape and try and get a transcript - but the jist was that GCM was grateful for the past and looking at thefuture.

I think once agin his wisdom rules the day.
  • Emmett post what GCM said when you can. Massimo's expression with the Albers/ MS shunt was priceless and would make an excellent caption comp!
  • Dornbos! :mad:

Minardi could have had a car finish on the lead lap for the first time this season had Robert completed the last lap.
    He un-lapped himself before the timing line as Alonso slowed to celebrae the win, but then pulled into the pits the next time around instead of finishing the race.
    D'oh!
  • But he stopped in the pitentrance, just before pitlane.
    Must have had a problem or maybe he ran out of fuel.