Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Nico Rosberg confirmed for Williams

The seats for next season are getting filled

From Reuters:
LONDON, Nov 3 (Reuters) - Nico Rosberg will race for Williams next season after signing a long-term contract, the Formula One team announced on Thursday.

The 20-year-old son of 1982 world champion Keke Rosberg, who was born in Germany and races under that country's flag, will partner Australian Mark Webber at the Cosworth-powered team.

"I believe I am only one of many in Formula One who is genuinely excited about the prospect of Nico Rosberg," said team boss Frank Williams.

"Given the attention he commands, I am delighted he is making a contribution to Formula One history and has signed with us for next season."

Rosberg's appointment, as the youngest driver on the starting grid, follows Briton Jenson Button's decision to buy himself out of his contract with Williams so that he could remain at Honda-backed BAR.

The announcement ended the hopes of Brazilian Antonio Pizzonia, who replaced Germany's Nick Heidfeld for the last five races of the 2005 season. Heidfeld will be racing for the new BMW team next year.

YOUNGEST DRIVER

Rosberg, who will be the first son of a champion to race in Formula One since Briton Damon Hill retired in 1999, won the inaugural GP2 support series this season.

Already the youngest person to drive a Formula One car, having his first test with Williams at the age of 17 in 2002 after winning the German Formula BMW title, Rosberg is Germany's fourth confirmed driver for the 2006 season.

Williams said he had been chosen for several reasons, not least his race craft.

"His natural talent in the cockpit is equally matched by his intelligence out of it, demonstrated by his depth of technical understanding and communication of data over the months spent as a test driver this season," a team statement said.

"Despite his youth, his wealth of experience reflects the early start made by contemporary drivers and it is significant to note that Nico has recorded more race starts by the age of 20 than his father...recorded in an entire career."

Finland's Keke Rosberg won the world championship with Williams, despite only one victory in that season, and retired in 1986 with five wins from 114 starts.

Rosberg junior will start his new duties for the team in winter testing, with the debut run of their new Cosworth V8 engine in Barcelona scheduled on November 29.

"I am really looking forward to starting work at the end of this month and learning as much from the team as I possibly can," said Rosberg.

© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

• I don't have a good feeling about him at Williams !

I hope the season proves my feeling wrong !
  • i have to say there'll be a lot of pressure on the guy. Maybe too much pressure.
  • I'm afraid things are going from bad to worseat Williams. Rosberg is not going to set the world alight. He was nowhere for the first half of the GP2 season and only closed down Kouvolainen after his team illegally changed the suspension geometry on his cars.
    You really have to fear for Williams now. Once you hit the buffers its nearly impossible to get back on track!
  • Agre with that, Williams is on a VEEEERY dangerous route, the same as Lotus and Tyrrell took at some point. And at some point, when you're there, you get to the non-return threshold.

And surely a rookie is very rarely the right person, and a team in this position is not the right team for a rookie. Especially if such rookie is under big pressure even just for his name.

BTW, why is Nico German and not Finnish? German mom?
  • I'm afraid things are going from bad to worseat Williams. Rosberg is not going to set the world alight. He was nowhere for the first half of the GP2 season and only closed down Kouvolainen after his team illegally changed the suspension geometry on his cars.
    You really have to fear for Williams now. Once you hit the buffers its nearly impossible to get back on track!
    Funny thing is that ART continued to win after they were caught.

Lose-lose for Webber here. He trashes him and he merely beat a rookie. If Rosberg is competitive or better, Webber's toast.

Regarding nationality, I think it's something like this.

Pops is an adopted Finn, originally Swedish. Mom is German. Nico was born in Finland but grew up in Germany.

If Keke can race as a Finn then surely Nico could be German..
  • Pops is an adopted Finn, originally Swedish. Mom is German. Nico was born in Finland but grew up in Germany.
    Pretty much like that, but the articles on the net seem to indicate that he was born in Germany, rather than Finland. IIRC, in addition to Germany, Nico has lived a good part of his life in Monaco, a place where his pops and other stars flee to in order to avoid taxation.

Anyhow, Nico cannot really be described as a Finn. OK, his father is Finnish (but with Swedishs roots, as you mentioned), but Nico doesn't speak Finnish, has not lived in Finland nor does he have any connection to the Finnish culture. He's more German.

Of course, if you read the Finnish media, he's branded as a Finn - just because it's good for selling newspapers.
    Funny thing is that ART continued to win after they were caught.
    Was anyone else surprised at how mildly ART was penalised for cheating, btw? A disqualification would have been in order, but somehow it all came down to a slap on the wrist..

Of course, ART attempts to paint a pretty picture, but to me the results just don't add up. Like Petrol said, Nico was first nowhere and then suddenly clearly faster than everyone else. Perhaps it was all about the right "set-up"?
  • He has 2 passports/nationalities: Finnish and German.
    I believe he drives with a German racing license though.
  • He's a Kraut,.... when he won the race at Hockenheim, our national anthem was played.
  • He has 2 passports/nationalities: Finnish and German.
    Yes, he has two nationalities - in paper. His real roots are in Germany, though. There's absolutely no connection to Finland other than his father's nationality. Nico cannot seriously be considered to be a Finn.
  • Germans, Fawlty? Hampshire doing well. 207 for 2.
  • And Williams are looking for a "PAY" driver on Friday's.

No title sponsoras yet.

Williams could be the future Minardi...

• Williams could be the future Minardi...
    Not in a million years.
  • [quote]
    Williams could be the future Minardi...
    Not in a million years. [/quote]

I don't think he was talking about a million years, maybe 2 or 3?
  • The glue is good this season eh?
  • "do NOT mention the war" (Basil Fawlty) :hehe:
  • He's a Kraut,.... when he won the race at Hockenheim, our national anthem was played.
    Thought you didn't like the term kraut?

Anyway, IAW Jello, this is B.A.D for Webber. Can the guy please get a competitive teammate once in his career? :rolleyes:

I want to see him up against the best, a Kimi, Alonso, Montoya, Schuey M....... or at least a driver with a non-deserved big reputation, like Button. :(
  • Thought you didn't like the term kraut?
    Didn't like it? They get "sauer" about it :hehe:
  • P1, I have the right to call my countrymen krauts. You don't ;)
  • How about "Jerry"? Do you guys get med when gas cans are commonly referred to as "Jerry Cans"?

Do you really eat sauer kraut every day?

Steak tartar?

Can all Bavarian chicks carry 57 liter of beer all at once?

• How about "Jerry"? Do you guys get med when gas cans are commonly referred to as "Jerry Cans"?
    Never heard of this.....
    Do you really eat sauer kraut every day?
    No! :spank:
    Steak tartar?
    I love it, but.... no
    Can all Bavarian chicks carry 57 liter of beer all at once?
    Bavaria is not a part of Germany. Please do remember! :spank:
  • Bavaria is not a part of Germany. Please do remember!
    haha, the envy, the envy
  • Envy? For what?

• @ Homer : You really don't know that Jerry in Jerrycan stands for German (as a swearword)? It finds its origin in the second World War. The Jerries were pretty advanced at that time
  • Really, never heard of it.
  • Envy? For what?
    a flourishing economy and the lowest unemployment rate nationwide?
  • You can do a lot with statistics, you know that.

1.The lowest unemployment rate? Yeah, because they don'T count people under 25. Bavaria has a very high youth-unemployment rate.

2. Youth. Very good point. Bavaria has lots of pupil who have to stay down at school. This might be a reason for point 1, hum?

3. The economie. In bavaria, you've only a chance to get a job if you are the elite. If not, you're fucked. Sad but true.
  • what a bitter kraut.
  • [quote]He has 2 passports/nationalities: Finnish and German.
    Yes, he has two nationalities - in paper. His real roots are in Germany, though. There's absolutely no connection to Finland other than his father's nationality. Nico cannot seriously be considered to be a Finn. [/quote]
    And his father was born in Sweden :hehe: