Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

PS05 to lead its own life?

Rime send me a link to this Dutch interview with Stoddie just after he took the PS05 for its last ever run.

http://www.carros.nl/media.php?media=film&soort=rijimpressie&id=57&MediaUrl=film/film5.wmv

He said that he wanted to keep the PS05 to let "young promising drivers" take it for a spin to see what they are worth in an F1 car. He wants to do that under the "Minardi" brand

1) Can he do that in compliance with FIA rules?
2) Can he do that in legal terms (copyrights)
3) Who would operate the car?
& many more questions along those lines

discuss

Comments

• He can't do that under the Minardi brand unless he and PS worked out a deal - as reported here GCM has "his" name back under his control.
  • I thought he still had the F1x2 so any personnel from that who wasnt also working at Minardi, if there were any, would probably run the PS05.

As to the FIA rules I don't know exactly which ones would apply if any. I would guess he would have to run it on a track thats approved for at least F1 tests.

As MCSF said he would have to do a deal with GCM, considering GCM is leasing his name out currently I could see it happening.
  • Surely, PS would have been saying what he would have liked to see. It is a natural extension of what he saw as one of Minardi's key contributions to Formula One; being the introduction of new talent. Something that the risk-averse major teams very rarely do.

In order to do that, he wouldn't contemplate using the Minardi name unless he had agreement with GCM. How do we think that GCM got his name back? Really, some of you are so blinkered that you can't see that there is more than likely an element of philanthropy involved. Ok, so you don't like PS - fine; but for goodness sake don't let it make you look like total logic-free idiots.

As for Formula One, they have no role to play. Anyone not associated with F1, and not seeking FIA sanction for an event, can hire a track and test a car. Mind you, I wouldn't put it past that loopy old lawyer Mad Max, to deny superlicences to anyone comming through such a medium. As I can't download the sound, I don't know the structure, but presumably, the deal would be to make it a commercial arrangement where the driver and his sponsors would be required to stump up some money for the laps. In return, they would get a report card that copuld be appended to their resume that would give a prospective team an idea of their ability to parlay what talent they have, into a real formula one car.

As to the structure, it is hard to know what is going on. I have had two return flights with Ozjet in the last couple of weeks (yeah, slipped another one in - got suckered by the Cabernet Sauvignon with the Chicken and red wine casserole with gnochhi and pavlova desert) and on each sector was invited to put my boarding pass in a box that will be used to raffle 40 rides in the two-seater. So either the operation has moved to Oz, or there are some cars here. An interesting sideline to that is that I noticed in the property gossip in last Saturday's newspaper, that PS has been seen inspecting various big-ticket houses around Melbourne. If he is moving 'home' you can bet it won't be back to Coburg (dump!).
  • You are assuming that PS retained the rights to the name. I understood it that RB gave GCM his name back upon his leaving the organisation.
  • An idea i've always had in the back of my mind was that of a 'wildcard' entry at each GP.

I imagine someone like Stoddart for instance, running a small team with one car, which is fielded at each GP, using a local driver and carrying local sponsors, only instead of them simply running around on the Friday morning, let them get in and race! Ok, so a rookie in a PS05 might not be the fastest thing on the grid, but it stirs a little bit of interest for the local fans, and showcases some new tallent at each race. Moto GP have wildcard riders, why can't Formula 1?
  • Because they are mobile chicanes, and are dangerous.
  • Thank you Emmett for clearing up the name rights. I believe it quite laughable that Stoddart should philantropically donate GCM's naming rights. This is the same Stoddart who attempted to sell everything not nailed down at the factory!
    The reason we don't have local rookies driving around in F1 is becuase it turns the sport into a farce. Did anyone see Nissany impersonating an F1 driver on Friday?
  • The reason we don't have local rookies driving around in F1 is becuase it turns the sport into a farce.
    Didn't seem to matter in the pre-qualifying days.

A mobile chicane would be fantastic! Actually, Super Aguri should provide something similar, in at least the opening 3 races. :P
  • P1, that was when there were 20 teams. Pre-quali was designed precisely to keep out the EuroBruns and Andrea Modas - not that the all drivers should be tarred with the same brush.

eg Perry McCarthy should have been given a shot in a good car. His book is a very good read.