Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

World Cup

So who is going to win the World Cup and who do you think will finish as a top scorer?

My bets goes on Italy but top scorer.... mmmmmm.... maybe Thierry Henry?

and you...?

Comments

• Bloody soccer.

Up until now, nobody (including me) gave a shit about the game in Australia. But now we're in the world cup, the whole country (excluding me) is soccer mad!

Just what motor racing needs - another neanderthal ball kicking/throwing sport to steal away much needed sponsorship dollars.
  • Brasil is clearly topfavourite and Ronaldo has a good chance to be topscorer.
  • France will win. Topscorer? Probably one of the Brazilians, but if Italy goes far also Luca Toni has his chance.
  • Rooney in.. and Germany is worse off now with Ballack looking to be a no-go. :(
  • ideally the cup goes to holland, but i shall stop dreaming now

italy or brazil will win, top scorer will be somebody you haven't heard of yet
  • Argentina to win, top scorer Luca Toni
  • we've seen the world champions play today, argentina. No team has been so impressive so far (and serbia aren't the worst side of this tournament)
  • quite some effort by the us boys, well done
  • Italy found their new genius: De Rossi
  • I'd say argentina.
    Italy has to give a chance to Inzaghi, Pippo and Toni would be a great couple.
  • yes, Inzaghi shoudl be in... I wonder why Lippi is still preferring Iaquinta and Del Piero, instead of Super Pippo. However I am sure Pippo plays on Thursday (Lippi just phoned me he he)
  • From the Hooligan Watch Desk:

England fans attacked by hooligans
    By Sean O’Neill
    Hostility off the pitch erupted in violence last night as riot police shielded English supporters after an attempted ambush by drunken German mob

GERMAN riot police charged crowds of football supporters in the centre of Cologne last night at the end of England’s match against Sweden.
    Police with batons drawn moved in to thwart what appeared to be an attempt by German football hooligans to attack English fans in the central Café Alter Markt.

Officers surrounded one bar where German fans were drinking and formed a human barricade between the Germans and English.

There had been tensions throughout the day between groups of supporters, many of whom had been drinking all day. Tens of thousands of Germans took to the streets to celebrate their team’s earlier 3-0 victory over Ecuador. An estimated 60,000 England supporters were in the city and many without tickets watched England’s match in clubs and on outdoor screens.

The trouble began at the Altstadt Pub where a large crowd of young Germans had gathered. At the final whistle in England’s match the German supporters made an attempt to rush English people drinking on the opposite side of the square.

The white-helmeted police officers made several baton charges to clear Germans to the east side of the square and drove England supporters towards the west.

Police came under a hail of bottles, chairs and other missiles as bystanders fled in panic.

Teams of plain clothes police officers then moved in, dragging rioters from the crowds, pushing them to the ground, pulling their hands behind their back and restraining them with plastic wrist ties.

The troublemakers were then hauled from the square and photographed while officers considered whether to press charges.

Five English fans were arrested for drunken behaviour at the stadium. Thirty known German hooligans were arrested in Café Alter Markt by riot police. Up to 100 were detained overnight.

Cologne’s police chief confirmed that the incidents had been sparked by a group of known German football hooligans who were drinking in the Kulisse bar on the Café Alter Markt. Klaus Steffenhagen told The Times: “Our spotters recognised 30 category C football hooligans, some from Cologne and some from other parts of Germany.

“We moved in to arrest them before they could do anything and we had to clear the square to carry out the operation.

“There were no problems at all with the English fans, they did not cause any trouble. We were acting on intelligence information.”

About 100 Germans drinking in another bar began throwing bottles and glasses as police cleared the square. A number of English fans were seen throwing chairs.

Rory Leach and his family were trapped in the square as police moved to seal it off. They were sitting outside a café when a crowd of supporters were chased by riot officers along the street.
  • Go the socceroos :D

You're next I-talians :P

[Edited on 22-6-0606 by Clown]
  • That referee was the worst I have seen in years. I have never ever seen a referee that gave three yellow cards to a player before giving a red one.
  • What a game it was. Aussies were great, what a spirit!
    I hope they can beat those Italian primadonnas :P
    Go Sweden! Go Australia!
  • It goes to show that a team with spirit that play for each other can go far. Even when the ref's are so BIASED against US. Your right Stan 3 yellows, a missed hand ball and not to mention the bloody rugby tackles against Viduka.

Let's hope the Croation fans don't burn down his holiday home there, after a stupid Croation reporter all but gave the address during a live cross.. Moron.
  • That was a brilliant 'win' for the Australians. The referee lost the plot at the end.

Who would have thought that Australia would be in the last 16? These guys are heros, win or lose. They have exceeded all expectations and proved they are a skillful and fair group of players and NOT a team of rough hackers like some international journo's have been reporting.

I'm happy to read that the Guardian in the UK is one of the first to publicly come out in support of the Australian team's unfair and unwarranted reputation.

I can't wait to watch the game against Italy.

Go Australia!
  • Yay for our guys.

As for the game, I don't get it, and I never will get it.
  • i felt bad for Japan and especially the US. Two clever little sides that both had their share of bad luck, especially the us.

whoever saw their equaliser against ghana and the game against italy knew that they knew how to play football
  • Don't be too bummed for us - have some sympathy for Ghana after their international aid is cut off.
  • Is that envy I'm sensing? ;)
  • I just watched the replay of the AUS-CRO game. In the final seconds it definately was a goal by AUS. After Kennedy was pulled to the ground by a croat, Alosii scored, it was a goal or at least a penalty. You can't blow final time during the actual shot at goal. Poll really lost it.

The score should be 3-2 in my book, not that it matters now.
  • Well, the entire game was a mess really. It's nearly impossible to say what the score would have been. Another thing you might want to think of is that the second Australian goal was off side.

There are just too many factors you need to look at.
  • Like the missed Viduka penalty, the second handball.... maybe 5-2
  • Well done Aussie - great game. The English ref got confused by the fun, I think. He's one of our best usually! Don't think he'll be doing any more games ...

Argies are through to the quarters. They and Deutschland looked v tasty on Saturday. Time for England to move up several gears, if they can find the clutch. In fact, even if they can't ...

(first half against Sweden wasn't bad, second half was awful)
  • I can't believe one of the tanned bbc commentators referred to the German team as "the lads", can Europe be united after all :P
  • ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

[Edited on 25-6-0606 by forzaminardi]
  • Good luck to Portugal and their five yellow and two red cards.
    And yes, you do sense some envy here Emett ;)

[Edited on 25-6-0606 by Stan]
  • I think wesley sneijder should be placed on the village square and beaten with wet towels... :(:(
  • What an amazing game. Bad luck Holland - a depleted Portugal carrying many yellows will do us just fine. They have to be the dirtiest team of the tournament so far.