Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

F1 RACING MAG -JUNE 2006

Did anybody have a chance to read F1 Racing MAG, June edition, where they square off Liuzzi and Speed head to head with a series of question. Both of them did horrible, and sound like a bunch of imature kids!!!

Question:
What was the model name of the last Minardi?
Liuzzi: Fucking hell...PS whatever......PS4, PS6?

I felt like smacking him across the head!!!!!!
Phil

Comments

• Good to hear that Phil, I thought it may have just been me. Both scored a lowly 3/3.5 out of 10 and knew none of the Minardi stuff. Fuckin' wankers.
  • Agreed but what did you expect?
  • Fair point. Nothing more from that particular bunch of tossers, I 'spose. I just felt the need to voice it. I feel better now, so I'm going back to my corner. :)
  • idiots both of them, plus speed can't drive, not that liuzzi is the revelation of the century
  • Speed does not represent the US very well - and that is an understatement.....
  • I am a bit perplexed..........I met them, and both of them are nice guys and the Team is just as fantastic!!!!!
  • speed and his manager remind me of beavis and butthead....
  • MCSF is exactly right. I don't know any fans who like Speed, American or otherwise. He's an idiot. And Speed Channel's focus on him annoys the hell out of me.

Reporter: "So, you finished 18th this week, good run."
    Speed: "Well, yeah, you know this was Minardi last season, so, you know, we can suck because of that. It's not like we have a bigger budget or different car or anything. 18th was my goal all day, just a great run."

HE FINISHED THERE BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE WAS OUT, DAMMIT.

His driving hasn't been all that bad though, it's his first season, after all. And the team is still building, but the Minardi excuse just pisses me off. No matter how much I dislike him, I can't say he doesn't have potential.

[Edited on 30-6-06 by Rekart]
  • He doesn't have potential ;)

Think of it this way. Many of the teams would LOVE an American driver, mainly due to the money they could potentially bring in. Unfortunately for them, there are no US drivers currently that are quick enough to warrant a good drive - Speed included.

• speed and his manager remind me of beavis and butthead....
    but who's beavis and who's butthead
  • Massimo was kind enough to ask Scott Speed to sign an autograph for my son at Montreal. When he came out, and as he was signing I congratualted him on his getting a ride in F1 as we had met the previous year at Indy and that I was the one that passed along the Minardi stuff the previous year.

At Indy in 2005 I passed along a keychain fob and some other trinkets we had made up for MCSF. I told him then that we looked forward to his representing us as the next American Driver and that all eyes where upon him and best of luck. He appeared to have grown up and learned to be less full of himself than the boy I watched on tv during the red bull driver search. I thought then that he could respresent a postive US portrayal and not an ugly american image.

At Montreal, Mr Speed never looked up to even see my face, nor did he even respond or to look at the camera that my sister held. Merely walked away. I recently spoke to some of the folks who did the Pit walk at Indy. Mr Speed, the first US driver in years, with a huge crowd in front of the garages waiting to see him came out and waved and walked back in.

In comparison, I spend over and hour with Zsolt outside the garages at Indy after the race a couple years ago where he stayed and talked to his fans from his homeland.

James was kind enough to invite us into the Williams garage for a short time. He introduced us to Nico. My 7 year old told Nico as he was signing his autograph that "I heard you're going to be a great driver like Michael Schumaker" (amazing the stuff coming out of kids) Nico posed for a couple pictures for us and even put his hand on my son's shoulder.

Albers and Doornbos both went down to the fence after Spa, the only drivers I saw do this and signed autographs through the fence for quite some time.

When we where leaving the garages in Montreal I found Massimo to thank him and tell him goodbye. He inquired if my son had met Luizzi. I explained he was eating and talking to his engineer. Massimo said to go down and walk in and ask him. We did, but did not interupt, but my son stood with his book opened to the page and ready. Luizzi noticed, waved him over in a very nice and friendly way (kind of like come here liitle boy, nice of you to be patient) and signed the autgraph. He did not say anything but his body language was friendly and receptive.

So, I guess, you be the judge. Actions do speak louder than words as we all know. If you carry yourself like an arrogant spoon fed rich punk then I will find it difficult to support you if you are not in the front of the grid. Shummi can get away with shit becasuse, well he's earned it. If you talk the talk you better be able to walk the walk.

I think that sometimes the drivers need to realize that when the Circus comes to town that they are the ones that are the ambassadors for the sport. A kind gesture, a smile, and unspoken hand on the shoulder, can go a long way for each person's experience. it may be the only time in their life to meet a person they see on the tv. It's part sport and part show. As a driver in the spotlight you are always in the spotlight. You never know when or who is meeting you and what theire impressions are going to be. That is the additional duty beyond being a good athlete and a great talent as a driver. That is the duty to the "show"
  • Wow...that is well said Bernie!!!! I hope you had a nice trip home from MTL

We should have all gone to Indy this weekend. All of the F1 nobles were kissing ass and try to look good. You almost thought it was a NASCAR event.

Bernie E./Max M., you guys have alot to learn!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I can't really hold this in:
    Speed: "Well, yeah, you know this was Minardi last season, so, you know, we can suck because of that. It's not like we have a bigger budget or different car or anything. 18th was my goal all day, just a great run."

...and yet here is what i got from as the post Montreal race report from STR. I found the report wonderful news from the team! I am very happy to hear our friends are getting the opportunity to move forward. But, it seems to run counter to Mr. Speed's comments. So whom should we believe?

POST CANADA

We have now reached the mid-point of the season and the last few weeks have certainly been hectic for all the teams, with a tight schedule from the British Grand Prix, then a test session and now the two races in North America.

Scuderia Toro Rosso Team Manager, Massimo Rivola gave us an insight on just how complicated it’s been getting everything down to Indy. “It seems a long time ago now that we packed everything in Faenza on the Thursday after Silverstone and on Friday we took everything by truck to Munich for the freight flight. It means the first group of 25 people left Italy on Monday to be operative at the track in Montreal on Tuesday. On Tuesday morning everything was unpacked and the garage was set up. A month before at least we had ordered all the things we need at the track.

Canada is complicated because the facilities are very small, with us working in tiny garages and setting up office in portakabins and motorhomes. On the second day, work in building up the cars really starts as the IT is all set up and ready. Then the mechanics and engineers just have to check all the settings on the car and fire up the engines.

“After Canada we had even less time to get ready, even allowing for the one o’clock race start, because we had to get everything packed away again by ten at night. We did start moving the packing cases into place before the race, but you can’t actually start packing up too early because the team has guests and you can’t have the whole place looking a mess.

“As usual from race to race, we had to work out what needed doing to the cars. Canada was the first in a cycle of two races with the same engine, so we didn’t have to change engines in Montreal, except that we do on the T-car, as we do that every time. We carried out the bare minimum overhauling in Canada preferring to do most of it when we got to Indy. FOM organise taking everything from Montreal to Indy by road. They should deliver all our freight at midday on Tuesday, but it can be a bit later. The first problem is that we have no real catering as even that equipment will be in the boxes so we have to get by as best we can. For that reason, I don’t plan to keep the lads working too late on the first day, preferring to have a longer second day, when at least all our facilities are up and running.

“The first group of 25 again will turn up on Tuesday lunchtime to set up the garage with the goal of leaving the track before dinner. It’s much easier to work at Indy with better offices and garages, although we will have an IT issue as the engineers, marketing and other offices and the team all operate from different places in the paddock, so we have fix up some laser or fibre optic connection. Then once again on Sunday night we have to rush to pack it all up again. But let’s not think of that just before we even start the race in Indy!

“Compared to our previous incarnation it is a bit of a new experience for us, as we have so much more equipment, which obviously is a good thing really. Last year we took 18000 kg this year we have 27500. It’s a very positive thing and I love it! I hope next year we have 30 tonnes!
  • I can't really hold this in:

...and yet here is what i got from as the post Montreal race report from STR. I found the report wonderful news from the team! I am very happy to hear our friends are getting the opportunity to move forward. But, it seems to run counter to Mr. Speed's comments. So whom should we believe?

POST CANADA

We have now reached the mid-point of the season and the last few weeks have certainly been hectic for all the teams, with a tight schedule from the British Grand Prix, then a test session and now the two races in North America.

Scuderia Toro Rosso Team Manager, Massimo Rivola gave us an insight on just how complicated it’s been getting everything down to Indy. “It seems a long time ago now that we packed everything in Faenza on the Thursday after Silverstone and on Friday we took everything by truck to Munich for the freight flight. It means the first group of 25 people left Italy on Monday to be operative at the track in Montreal on Tuesday. On Tuesday morning everything was unpacked and the garage was set up. A month before at least we had ordered all the things we need at the track.

Canada is complicated because the facilities are very small, with us working in tiny garages and setting up office in portakabins and motorhomes. On the second day, work in building up the cars really starts as the IT is all set up and ready. Then the mechanics and engineers just have to check all the settings on the car and fire up the engines.

“After Canada we had even less time to get ready, even allowing for the one o’clock race start, because we had to get everything packed away again by ten at night. We did start moving the packing cases into place before the race, but you can’t actually start packing up too early because the team has guests and you can’t have the whole place looking a mess.

“As usual from race to race, we had to work out what needed doing to the cars. Canada was the first in a cycle of two races with the same engine, so we didn’t have to change engines in Montreal, except that we do on the T-car, as we do that every time. We carried out the bare minimum overhauling in Canada preferring to do most of it when we got to Indy. FOM organise taking everything from Montreal to Indy by road. They should deliver all our freight at midday on Tuesday, but it can be a bit later. The first problem is that we have no real catering as even that equipment will be in the boxes so we have to get by as best we can. For that reason, I don’t plan to keep the lads working too late on the first day, preferring to have a longer second day, when at least all our facilities are up and running.

“The first group of 25 again will turn up on Tuesday lunchtime to set up the garage with the goal of leaving the track before dinner. It’s much easier to work at Indy with better offices and garages, although we will have an IT issue as the engineers, marketing and other offices and the team all operate from different places in the paddock, so we have fix up some laser or fibre optic connection. Then once again on Sunday night we have to rush to pack it all up again. But let’s not think of that just before we even start the race in Indy!

“Compared to our previous incarnation it is a bit of a new experience for us, as we have so much more equipment, which obviously is a good thing really. Last year we took 18000 kg this year we have 27500. It’s a very positive thing and I love it! I hope next year we have 30 tonnes!
  • I'm not completely sure what you're saying, I made up that quote. I have heard Speed say that it was Minardi last season, however, as if that was an explanation as to why they can't do any good. Some media members have also said this, but it's obviously wrong. The only thing that's Minardi in STR is the shop. The car is the Jaguar/Red Bull car, and many of the necessary tools that Minardi didn't have, Red Bull has bought. It's a bad excuse, but people believe it when he says it.

As for the reporter part of the quote, the American media (Speed Channel) has said how great of a day Speed has had multiple times, when he just ended up in, say, 14th because other cars fell out. I know Bob Varsha is smarter than that, but he has to try to make Speed look like a great driver.
  • "I know Bob Varsha is smarter than that, but he has to try to make Speed look like a great driver."

Good point Reckart.

You play the cards you are dealt. You've got to appeal to the US audience if we want to get more share of racing audience in the US over to follow F1. Mr. Speed is the first US driver in many years. Let's see what happens when Grandpa Andretti get his grandson in a F1 ride.