Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Sauber BMW? Minardi TOIT?

Ok, many of you would have read the reports about how BMW are reconsidering supplying a second team from 2006 on. In my opinion, that's likely to go to Sauber if they want it as their deal with TOIT I believe has only this year to run, and you'd think that their relative lack of success, coupled with the high cost of the Italian engines, and the Swiss way of dealing with Germans if the price is right (hoho) would see them the frontrunners to land the BMW supply. I've also got the feeling that Peter Sauber would like to get out from under the Ferrari umbrella, reading between the lines recently.

Now, where does this leave Minardi? Consider this: TOIT will need to supply someone, Jordan doesn't have the cash and I doubt would go with TOIT anyway, as Toyota I think have them locked up for 2 years (??) and TOIT aren't going to supply Judas on the cheap. So this leaves them with Minardi, Red Bull, one of the newcomers, or not supplying anyone......

I can see the new American owners of Cosworth doing all they can to hold on to the contract to supply Red Bull and try to get hold of one of the other new teams. Let's also assume that only one of the new teams come to fruition.

TOIT will want to supply someone, even if it's a cheap deal, to offset their costs as they're not in the luxury position that BMW, Mercedes, and Toyota are in that money's no object. Is that supply going to Minardi? :)

Comments

• their relative lack of success, coupled with the high cost of the Italian engines
    Exactly for that reason I say NO to TOIT !!!!!!
  • Dream, P1, Dream!
    You might go with Salvo to say 1000 Hail Marys to make it happen!
    But I would prefer a Minardi-BMW and not to have anything to do with TOIT.
  • Well, I think that's only speculation and not that realistic. I'm sure Minardi will stay with Cossworth for a while...
  • Sauber is trying to re-kindle it's relationship with Mercedes.

Right now cost is no object to Peter as he has a contract with Petronas for them to finance his engines.

TOIT is already talking with Midlands about supplying them in 2006.

Jordan's Toyota deal is for 1 year.

The American owners of Cosworth, in my mind, would probably be looking to hand off their 2 teams to other suppliers and set themselves up to leave F1 in 2006 or 2007.

Frankly the way I see it is:

Red Bull - BMW
    Sauber - Mercedes
    Minardi - Renault or Cosworth
    Midlands - TOIT or Cosworth
    Dubai - Mercedes engines and chassis
  • Minardi-TOIT?

I wouldn't bet one old lira.
  • Come on guys. You'd really turn down the most powerfully reliable engine on the grid if you were Paul and TOIT offered?
  • Minardi powered TOIT did better than the Reds in early 90's
    In Maranello they still remember.
  • I seem to remember Minardi's best results came with a TOIT in the back of the chassis.
  • great results, yes
    too good according to Toit at that time
  • The Minardi TM from those f=days begged GCM not to go with TOIT and to stick with Cossie. GCM went TOIT and a great year happened. However, a few years later the choice of Cossie powered MS to a WDC.

Questions still linger as to whether or not the TOIT lumps were the way...

The Old Man and GCM had a special way. What we call TOIT is not what is used to be. It is quite Germanic in its dealings and I am not sure about a deal with them.

Lets get mid grid before getting excited.
  • Come on guys. You'd really turn down the most powerfully reliable engine on the grid if you were Paul and TOIT offered?
    You'd like that, wouldn't you Tifosi :spank: :angel:

Minardi-TOIT? Do I have to kick my own arse?
  • Say "NO" to TOIT....................

I still reckon Sauber will return to it's Merc roots.

I've been saying for two years that we should look at Renault. No reason, just wanted to say something is all.
  • I've been saying for two years that we should look at Renault. No reason, just wanted to say something is all.
    Drivers. If you want a good driver, team up with Renault.

Quigley: I recken that Ford was pretty surprised when Bennetton won those champs. The V8 wasn't a great engine against the V10's or even the V12 of TOIT and Ross Brawn's superb chassis really flattered that Ford lump.
  • Plus do not forget that Ayrton Senna died, Benetton had a certain MS in the cockpit (try to remember how many points his teammates Verstappen and Lehto got....) Williams with Damon Hill took a while to exploit its potential, Ferrari had a great engine but a lousy chassis that frustrated Alesi and Berger's hopes, and McLaren was a total shit. Ford won that championship 'cause of a series of lucky coincidences.
  • I'd like to see Minardi stick with it's Cosworths. Just about every Minardi has had one, and if they give us a good deal and the latest spec engines, why not? It was good enough to put Webbo 2nd on the grid in Sepang, it may do wonders for us in 2005.
  • I think at some point it will come down to Minardi needing a new engine because Cosworth simply won't be as dedicated to F1 as they need to be.

[Edited on 28/12/2004 by Jello_Biafra]
  • Maybe there are plans at Minardi to develop their own V8 ?????
  • Please god, no.
  • With Briatore going, is the time for a link with Renault now passed? In 2001/02/03, it was the obvious thing, but never quite happened. I think Renault will miss Flav - hate him though you must, he's a true master of the game.
  • Maybe there are plans at Minardi to develop their own V8 ?????
    Motori Moderni style?
  • HUGE mistake - won't happen or they will run out of super length long sleeved coats in Faenza.
  • from the atlas weekly grapevine article:

Sauber: to build own v8 engine?
    Red Bull: BMW customer engine?

So if all that rings true with other teams like midland coming on board and getting their first choice of ferrari engines, dubai racing being a real racing team and having the mercedes engines, it would look that minardi will only be on cosworths?

If that happens, then cosworth may decide to stop doing F1. Considering the amount of investment for a new v8 engine, they would at the very least want 2 teams to supply?

• So we look at Renault for our power!!!!