Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Castro on the Way to Hell?

Any bets on which way Cuba will go if ol' Fidel assumes room temperature?

Comments

• The old fear and guilt thing doesn't really work with me, but for those who really believe in rewards once your body and senses are defunct, I'd guess there would be a lot more surprised people in heaven than in hell.

I'd actually be less surprised to meet Fidel up there than, say, POTUS or VPOTUS.

BTW you've gotta leave your guns behind!
    Hell without a weapon! :)) scary for some I spose!

Spin
  • Why can't the US change it's policy towards Cuba? It seems to me to be a policy mired in Cold War politics.
  • If he's in hell he won't be alone. Tricky Dicky, Stalin, Adolf... A real rogues gallery!
  • Originally posted by MinardiP1
    Why can't the US change it's policy towards Cuba? It seems to me to be a policy mired in Cold War politics.
    Why do WE have to change our policy? Why can't Cuba change theirs?
  • Tricky Dicky?
  • Nixon. But if Nixon is going to hell then how about Clinton? He was way worse than Nixon!
  • oh! nixon, sorry, bit thick today
  • Quig, Nixon was a crook. No matter what you might think about Clinton. Nothing has ever stuck.
  • Ummm, perjury stuck. Convicted of it in fact. Impeached by the House but the Senate decided not to try him.
  • Originally posted by MCSF
    Why do WE have to change our policy? Why can't Cuba change theirs?
    Umm, because you're the one with the trade embargo, the nukes and the 230 million population? The US has been friends with less democratic governments than the Cuban one - you guys support the rotten Saudi family and had an air base in Uzbekistan.

I don't see any reason why a relatively benevolent dictator like Castro should be seen as such a threat by the US, when much more threatening ones are actually treated as friends.
  • They have a policy where unless you get special dispensation from damn near Castro himself you are not allowed to leave the country. What about their policy on free and open elections? What about other humen rights abuses like jail time for openly disagreeeing with ol' Fidel or any of his cronies?

Maybe if they changed theirs we would change ours.

BTW - I think we are knocking on the door of 300 million population.
  • Forget the ultraistic claptrap Quig, Castro is shit cause he popped the root-rat Kennedy.

As long as he survives, they stay on the out.

Once he's gone, expect fast moves to secure that part of the world fer murrica.
  • I say dig up Desi Arnaz and install him as El Presidente!

BABALU!
  • Reportedly, Fidel is recoverng well. He will be preparing for another 10 hour speech, to prove his stamina.

GWB can't even express a single idea coherently, but he's considered fit for office, physically only I suppose.

Sorry Quig, just had to mention the current POTUS since no one else did.

Spin
  • Originally posted by Dr_Spin
    Reportedly, Fidel is recoverng well
    Straight from "State Controlled" TV.

My money in on wierd beard already at room temp with the rest of the bunch trying to figure out what next.
  • Still less of an arsehole than Batista
  • Personally I think the present US administration has lost all credibility on the subject of nation building.
    Their attempt in Iraq has resulted in a failed state and defacto civil war.
    I say leave the Cubans alone to sort out their own problems.
    Under Batista Cuba was no more than a playground for the Big US multinationals with very little going to the people.
  • Quig there's a big difference between lying over a sexual peccadillo and instigating the bugging of the Democratic headquarters at the Watergate Buildings.
    300 million, Christ, how many of those are illegals?
    As much as I love Americans they have a serious problem at present. A crack like addiction to cheap gas and cheap labour. All foriegn policy seems to be geared to maintaining this.
  • Originally posted by MCSF
    They have a policy where unless you get special dispensation from damn near Castro himself you are not allowed to leave the country. What about their policy on free and open elections? What about other humen rights abuses like jail time for openly disagreeeing with ol' Fidel or any of his cronies?

Maybe if they changed theirs we would change ours.
    What about the US policy of locking up foreign nationals without trial? For 4 years!

I'm sorry, but the US Government are in NO place to lecture the world on civil rights. They've supported far too many corrupt and lecherous foreign regimes to claim that privelege.

off topic - My brother in law's name is Michael Collins. Just like the astronaut. Last year he and his wife holidayed in the US (last time they'll do that btw) and when he flew into LAX he was detained for 45 minutes and strip searched! No official reason why (and no apology after he was cleared either), but it was hinted that it was because he had a 'generic' name and has dark features. I mean, wtf!

All this whilst his 6 months pregnant wife is also detained (under supervision) in a seperate room.

They missed their connecting flight to San Diego and had to take a godawful Greyhound coach there instead. Do they ever clean the toilets in those things after they leave the manufacturer?

I thought Australia was an ally...... how do they treat enemies? :(

[Edited on 5-8-06 by MinardiP1]
  • One would hope that the American population generally was learning from the experiences of the last few years.

In my limited view the rest of the world has been viewing the foreign affairs approach of the US with a lot of understanding. Acceptance or at least tolerance for Americans generally, but contempt for the attitudes and policies of most of the US leaders.

There are some excellent writings from some US thinkers, who appreciate the need for americans to become more in tune with the best concepts of global co-existence be those in Europe, Asia of wherever.

However, it seems that most Americans just carry on with their own lives, sheltered by the oceans and their comforting view of the world, and then are surprised when their excursions into other countries and cultures fail to meet their expectations.

Do we need some sort of global concensus on what we expect of the sole superpower (while that status exists)?

I would suggest the analogy of a wise and influential father-figure, tolerant and experienced in the various ways of the world, and hestitant to wield power but ready to promote understanding, learning and opportunity.

Too many currently perceive the sole superpower to be more like a rebellious teenager - impatient, bullying and as likely to be wrong and self -destructive than a good neighbour and respected citizen.

There are many ways to promote harmony with freedom but they involve building, not imposing, common interests and mutual dependency. Fair trade and development of opportunity are two good areas with which to start.

Spin
  • Wait until Chavez goes on the list of terrorists.

Planning is under way:
    http://www.fpif.org/fpiftxt/2939
  • He is not already?
  • fpif, ey? what a load of bull...
  • RJ, I read EVERYTHING. including
    http://michellemalkin.com/
    http://www.anncoulter.com/cgi-local/welcome.cgi

but maybe I'm just trying to convince them both into a threesome.